Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Disney to Scale Back Domestic Expansion

The opening of Carsland has prompted a lot of speculation regarding new lands and attractions in both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. Maybe because BVS and Carsland look so good and have gotten off on a great foot, fans figure a "sequel expansion" is in the works.

However, recently the Orlando Sentinel reported that Disney will cut back significantly on domestic spending ($6 billion for Carsland, BVS, Fantasyland Expansion, a Hawaiian resort and cruise ships), and that the only big project on the slate is Avatarland, which will open by 2016 at the earliest . . . if they decide to actually build.

As it opens new attraction, Disney prepares to cut capital spending - OrlandoSentinel.com

There's a Kevin Yee blurb.

Looks like DLR might be entering a half-decade drought where nothing new is announced. Most of the attention will probably be on Shanghai Disneyland and the new stuff being built in Hong Kong.

The article mentions that Universal backed by wealthier Comcast is outspending Disney domestically, I guess in terms of parks as it looks like Disney put slightly more into Aulani and cruise ships than attractions and new lands on each coast.

Though . . .

Domestic spending 2011 - $2.3 Billion
    Domestic spending 2012 - unknown, expected to be more
    Projected spending 2013 - article didn't say
    Projected spending 2014 - $1.5 Billion

And the analyst said that the 2014 number might be conservative. If they don't build any more hotels or cruise ships, then DLR might get a big chunk of the $1.5 Billion, right? That would be enough to start building a $150-200 million dollar ride/land expansion in Disneland, assuming a good chunk of domestic spending is upkeep.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 06-20-2012 at 03:07 PM.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Re: Disney to Scale Back Domestic Expansion

can somebody say Paul Pressler.... this should be an interesting thread
    Last edited by MrsMonroe; 06-20-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Looks like DLR might be entering a half-decade drought where nothing new is announced.

AWESOME! It'll be nice to be rid of walls for a while after dealing with them constantly for the past 5+ years.

(Although, I don't think they'll stop working on the park, though. There will probably be updates and improvements through the years, but without the fanfare of a $1 billion DCA expansion.)

• Parking Lot > DCA

Hopefully we can still see something happen with Tomorrowland, but I like the sound (and sight!) of no walls for a while.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Looks like DLR might be entering a half-decade drought where nothing new is announced. Most of the attention will probably be on Shanghai Disneyland and the new stuff being built in Hong Kong.
    Not surprising. People tend to forget, in all the giddiness over DCA 2.0, that Disney is still a hyper-tightfisted corporation whose theme parks are run by the the most tightfisted "sharp pencil boy" of them all, Michael Eisner's former Chief Financial Officer, Tom Staggs. Along with Bob, Jay and the rest of senior management, these guys pride themselves on not spending a dime unless they have to. And as long as crowds continue to pack DLR and WDW, they don't have to.

Meanwhile, it'll be interesting to see what gets announced... and what doesn't.... at the next D23 Expo.

The telling quote from the article:

"We should be coming down substantially — substantially — in domestic spending," Disney Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said during a recent presentation to stock analysts.

Yep -- that Jay Rasulo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Senior Minion

I don't think that article suggested that nothing new would be coming to DLR for six years. It just said they were cutting back on capital spending. The things that are seeing the major cutbacks are outside of resort spending. The 1 to 1.5 billion a year will largely be spent on the existing resort properties, not building new destination hotels and cruise ships like that have been in the last few years. The destination resorts was being pushed by Rosulo when he was in charge on P&R and Staggs has moved away from that. Anyway, the Avengers are hot, I can't see them waiting six years to get them into Anaheim.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Hard to tell if this news is really that bad. When it comes to money being spent of course it will be scaled back versus how much they put into the past couple of years. In 2014, 1.5 billion is more than enough to work with. And of course it's lower than 2011 considering they were working on DCA and MK as well as Aulani and the Dream.

I agree with uncle Bob, i think Disney is most likely refering to large capital investments outside of the parks including new park gates or additional free standing hotels. The parks will most likely continue to see growth with addition of attractions within those years along with upgrades.

• Nutty about Disney parks

That money needs to find its way to WDW, stat. DLR can take care of itself with its local base and recent DCA expansion. But I fear that the FL expansion and Avatar won't be enough to get WDW where it needs to be especially when surrounded by so much competition. Too much needs to be done with Epcot, DHS, and DAK.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Anyway, the Avengers are hot, I can't see them waiting six years to get them into Anaheim.
    Hopefully they'll wait forever.

As for the article, not only has Disney changed their mind on things in the past, but there are certain things that really can't wait any longer. Tomorrowland for instance. Plus the 60th is bound to cause something to happen. I think the people saying it only refers to larger than normal spending are probably correct.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Harry Potter coming to USH.

Knotts is already starting to make improvements in the right direction and doesn't appear to be letting up.

Disney doesn't build anything new AND raises ticket/AP prices excessively.

This doesn't bode too well for Disney in my opinion. Locals get easily bored with new offerings fast. If Disney doesn't offer an alternative to what the other parks will be offering in the future they may very well regret the day that they decided to raise their ticketing prices.

Basically agreeing with what others have said...

Cutting back from 2 cruise ships, a major hotel, a rebuilt Fantasyland and the $1.1billion DCA makeover DOES NOT MEAN nothing new is coming. It simply means not to expect another 2 cruise ships, a major hotel, a rebuilt Fantasyland and a $1.1billion DCA makeover in the next couple of years.

• Unhelpful User

"Disneyland will never be completed as long the money keeps rolling in" more rides more money?

Only if they fix Tomorrowland at DL, then I would be okay with no big projects for couple of years. I still think there will be something for the 60th.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

well I too suspect Tomorrowland will finally get a remake but I suspect it will be done on the cheap side. Meaning building something onto top of something and repainting the theme or something simple. I just don't expect a grand scale Tomorrowland. Just a refresher tomorrowland is what I expect. I WOULD like a revamp and gutted and changed tomorrowland but we'll see what's really next for Disneyland.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast