• Unhelpful User

You Have $2,000,000,000 Disney Dollars And Bob Iger Tells You!

Bob says "Im going to give you this Money And your ideas will make it the best resort in the world what would you do"

so let's have fun and pretend, what would you do to the resort? Would you do anything at all? remember you have 2 billion disney dollars but they can only be spend on the resort , would you finally fix tomorrow land or would you expand DCA even more or even add the 3rd gate let's see share your ideas

• Senior Minion

Re: You Have $2,000,000,000 Disney Dollars And Bob Iger Tells You!

I'd tell him that's not enough. DL needs at least 750 million, $300 mil for FL and $450 mil for TL. Then I'd want about 500 million for resort infrastructure including the Pumbaa parking lot and a resort-wide People Mover System. Then I'd want about $200 million to buy out Garden Walk and put about 50 million into renovating that. Then I'd want another 500 million for three new hotels. So that would be my first 2 billion, but I'd just be getting started. They could still easily spend another 2 billion on DCA and 3 billion on the third gate. So I guess they need to spend in the $7 billion range to make the DLR the best resort in the world.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I'm going to assume that not all E-ticket attractions are going to cost the $350 M that Radiator Springs Racers did. I'm going to assume that a new E-ticket-level attraction could be designed and built for $150 M (as Indiana Jones Adventure was, even when converted to today's dollars), new D-ticket $100 M, new C-ticket $75 M, new B-ticket $50 M and a new A ticket $25 M. Maybe these are unrealistic, but if it now costs more than $25 M to put up a carousel then something has gone wrong with the whole process. ... New master plan for Tomorrowland, redesign of exterior look $25 M, 1 new E, 2 new Ds. Total $375 M for that. ... Expansion and new master plan for Frontierland including expansion area $25 M, 1 new E, 1 new D, 1 new C, 1 new B. Total $400 M for that. ... New land from submarines north to Small World, with oceanic theme, $25 M for land design, 1 new E, 1 new D, 1 new A. Total $375 M for that. ... London-themed mini land north of Fantasyland, $25 M for design, new Mary Poppins theater $75 M, 2 Ds, total $300 M for that. ... Exit only gate/speedramp from Critter Country to M&F parking structure, $10 M. ... DCA: Chinatown mini-land in DCA, $25 M for design, $100 M for attractions and shows. ... Native Californian Village where Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is, $25 M for design. $150 M for new shops and restaurants in the new or re-themed areas. That leaves $240 Million, which I would apply to giving raises to all cast members and employees for 5 years. Grand total, $2,000,000,000.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'd tell him that's not enough. DL needs at least 750 million, $300 mil for FL and $450 mil for TL. Then I'd want about 500 million for resort infrastructure including the Pumbaa parking lot and a resort-wide People Mover System. Then I'd want about $200 million to buy out Garden Walk and put about 50 million into renovating that. Then I'd want another 500 million for three new hotels. So that would be my first 2 billion, but I'd just be getting started. They could still easily spend another 2 billion on DCA and 3 billion on the third gate. So I guess they need to spend in the $7 billion range to make the DLR the best resort in the world.
    Wow! give this man a glass of water

---------- Post added 06-20-2012 at 05:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I'm going to assume that not all E-ticket attractions are going to cost the $350 M that Radiator Springs Racers did. I'm going to assume that a new E-ticket-level attraction could be designed and built for $150 M (as Indiana Jones Adventure was, even when converted to today's dollars), new D-ticket $100 M, new C-ticket $75 M, new B-ticket $50 M and a new A ticket $25 M. Maybe these are unrealistic, but if it now costs more than $25 M to put up a carousel then something has gone wrong with the whole process. ... New master plan for Tomorrowland, redesign of exterior look $25 M, 1 new E, 2 new Ds. Total $375 M for that. ... Expansion and new master plan for Frontierland including expansion area $25 M, 1 new E, 1 new D, 1 new C, 1 new B. Total $400 M for that. ... New land from submarines north to Small World, with oceanic theme, $25 M for land design, 1 new E, 1 new D, 1 new A. Total $375 M for that. ... London-themed mini land north of Fantasyland, $25 M for design, new Mary Poppins theater $75 M, 2 Ds, total $300 M for that. ... Exit only gate/speedramp from Critter Country to M&F parking structure, $10 M. ... DCA: Chinatown mini-land in DCA, $25 M for design, $100 M for attractions and shows. ... Native Californian Village where Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is, $25 M for design. $150 M for new shops and restaurants in the new or re-themed areas. That leaves $240 Million, which I would apply to giving raises to all cast members and employees for 5 years. Grand total, $2,000,000,000.
    yeah this makes more Sense!

I've always liked your ideas and posts, but I think you're exaggerating quite a bit here for effect. And in some cases, underestimating.

$300M for Fantasyland? That seems a little over the top. Are you thinking of ripping out the theater and ToonTown? Certainly building something new in the MBC area would be quite an expense, but $300M?

On the other hand, $450M for TL might be too little. An E ticket in the Innoventions footprint, a reworked main corridor (move Astro Orbiters, remove or revitalize the PM tracks and loading/unloading area), replace BLAB, rework Autopia and its massive queue. I could see that topping $500M easily.

I thought Garden Walk was on sale by the banks for around $60M - didn't someone post that last week?

Now, $2B for DCA? Twice what they just spent on BVS and Cars Land? That seems way over the top. A new attraction in the Maliboomer spot with show building outside of Screamin', a completely redone Hollywood Land backlot area, with new E ticket and a rebuilt Bugs Land/FFF area could be had for 1/3 of that.

Meanwhile, only $3B for a third park? That is way too low!

to make the DLR the best resort in the world.
    Actually we are the number one travel destination in the world, so i guess the money they spent is going to good use

• Senior Minion

^I think some of your estimates are way too low, unless you want DCA 1.0 quality. It doesn't cost $25 million for a carousel, but are you really going to be putting in carousels? R&D and design of new ride systems and effects is very expensive as is anything custom. Like there's no way you could build an adequate exit system to Mickey and Friends for only 10 million unless you're talking a plain steel structure without moving walkways.

---------- Post added 06-20-2012 at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I've always liked your ideas and posts, but I think you're exaggerating quite a bit here for effect. And in some cases, underestimating.

$300M for Fantasyland? That seems a little over the top. Are you thinking of ripping out the theater and ToonTown? Certainly building something new in the MBC area would be quite an expense, but $300M?

On the other hand, $450M for TL might be too little. An E ticket in the Innoventions footprint, a reworked main corridor (move Astro Orbiters, remove or revitalize the PM tracks and loading/unloading area), replace BLAB, rework Autopia and its massive queue. I could see that topping $500M easily.

I thought Garden Walk was on sale by the banks for around $60M - didn't someone post that last week?

Now, $2B for DCA? Twice what they just spent on BVS and Cars Land? That seems way over the top. A new attraction in the Maliboomer spot with show building outside of Screamin', a completely redone Hollywood Land backlot area, with new E ticket and a rebuilt Bugs Land/FFF area could be had for 1/3 of that.

Meanwhile, only $3B for a third park? That is way too low!
    Last I had heard, the bank still wanted 185 million for Gardenwalk. If it's now only $60 million I don't know why Disney hasn't already bought it. The FL I was referring to was actually Frontierland, I wouldn't put much money into Fantasyland in the immediate future. Just get a show into the theater for now. But FL should get a major expansion with a new mega-e-ticket and a new boom town area with new shops and dining and new river craft with a new landing on the back side of RoA.

In regard to TL, I probably wouldn't prioritize a new ride to replace Buzz. I'd like to see it gone, but its a low priority. I suppose it might not be enough, but I think you could take care of the new E-ticket and the rest of the exterior improvements for $450 million. You could certainly spend more and it would be worth it, but I think you need that much minimum.

In regard to DCA, I think if they did spend two billion more it would actually challenge DL for attendance. I would do a lot more then a couple new E-tickets if the money was available. I'm not sure how much I'd need, I'd have to really think about it and break it all down better, but it still needs a lot of work.

I think $3 billion would be a nice start for the third gate. Sure, you could spend more, but you need to leave space for expansion. I'd have a plan for expansion and more investment in the first ten years of operation.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

[pocketing some...] You mean 1.8 billion dollars? OK, let's get to work...
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    [pocketing some...] You mean 1.8 billion dollars? OK, let's get to work...
    [subtracting 40% for Disney overhead...] You mean 1.2 billion dollars?

I'd tell him that's not enough.
    Bingo.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

The FL I was referring to was actually Frontierland.
    Ah, that FL! Yes, well I definitely would like to see a lot of expansion and changes to Frontierland. $300M - I'm good with that.

alright so here is what I would do......
    DISNEYLAND

MAINSTREET:
    Fine As Is

ADVENTURELAND:
    Take down the Aladdin theatre and put up a C-Ticket Ride to Aladdin: 75M
    Re-theme Tarzans Treehouse to Swiss Family Robinsons Treehouse: 5M
    Total: 80M

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE:
    Change all AA's in POTC to State of the art AA's: 20M??
    Add a new Haunted Mansion Restaurant : 50,000
    Total 20,050,000

CRITTER COUNTRY:
    Rip out The many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Insert a Pooh's Hunny Hunt Ride but keep same exterior: 140M
    Total: 140M

FRONTIERLAND:

Major Expansion in the back A new sort of Natures Wonderland kind of ride knock out Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyers Island and have the train travel underneath the Rivers of america And rebuild Cascade peak: 350M

Total:350M

FANTASYLAND:
    Fantasyland theatre transformed into E-ticket Mary Poppins ride. 150M
    Build a Swiss Village surrounding Matterhorn:2M

TOONTOWN
    Take out Chip and Dale's Treehouse and install "Toontown Square" meet and greet with Characters like in WDW's old one. 1M

TOMORROWLAND
    Major over haul Making it look much less like i stepped BACK in time. projects include...
    Re-themed Entrance like in HKDL
    take out innoventions and put in an avengers Dark Ride....
    redesign the entrance's to both star tours and Buzz lightyear astro blasters
    Remake starcade
    put in an immersive 3d ride in Magic Eye Theatre
    Total 250M

Total Disneyland Budget: 993,050,000

I will have my DCA thoughts up tomorrow......

• Blew By You

Walt had to swallow hard to spend 17 million, while Iger can spend 2 billion in half a day.
    So, Tomorrowland gets 600 million, Frontierland gets 500 million, 3 billion gets a couple of new hotels and a campground, 25 billion goes to infrastructure projects (and get the PM tracks removed). The rest can sit in an account and accrue some interest for future use.

Sort of off topic, but where can you still get Disney dollars, I remember getting them in the bank before it was the disney gallery and then I got some at a boardwalk store over in DCA for the 50th... also what has been the most recent release year of new Disney Dollars?

On Topic:

Tomorrowland, redo/refresh/takeout/fix/reincarnate... basically everything: 750million
    Frontierland, new E-ticket in thunder ranch: 250million
    Resort wide transportation(monorail extensions and resort wide canal boats), new parking structures, infrastructure(new walkways, plazas, stores, streets reconfiguration): 300million
    Buy-out Garden Walk, with new venues and with 2 new hotels(built by Disney): 300million
    Paradise Pier re-theming(Carousel, Screamin queue, jumpin jellyfish, maliboomer area) and new Hollywood Land E-ticket(in backlot area): 300million
    Thats my 2 billion...

Then 3 billion for the 3rd Gate.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

i'd blow it all on boos

just kidding

i'd build two more hotels and a new park. fix up disneyland and make anaheim pay for a parking structure

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by chechire cat View Post
    alright so here is what I would do......
    DISNEYLAND

MAINSTREET:
    Fine As Is

ADVENTURELAND:
    Take down the Aladdin theatre and put up a C-Ticket Ride to Aladdin: 75M
    Re-theme Tarzans Treehouse to Swiss Family Robinsons Treehouse: 5M
    Total: 80M

NEW ORLEANS SQUARE:
    Change all AA's in POTC to State of the art AA's: 20M??
    Add a new Haunted Mansion Restaurant : 50,000
    Total 20,050,000

CRITTER COUNTRY:
    Rip out The many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Insert a Pooh's Hunny Hunt Ride but keep same exterior: 140M
    Total: 140M

FRONTIERLAND:

Major Expansion in the back A new sort of Natures Wonderland kind of ride knock out Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyers Island and have the train travel underneath the Rivers of america And rebuild Cascade peak: 350M

Total:350M

FANTASYLAND:
    Fantasyland theatre transformed into E-ticket Mary Poppins ride. 150M
    Build a Swiss Village surrounding Matterhorn:2M

TOONTOWN
    Take out Chip and Dale's Treehouse and install "Toontown Square" meet and greet with Characters like in WDW's old one. 1M

TOMORROWLAND
    Major over haul Making it look much less like i stepped BACK in time. projects include...
    Re-themed Entrance like in HKDL
    take out innoventions and put in an avengers Dark Ride....
    redesign the entrance's to both star tours and Buzz lightyear astro blasters
    Remake starcade
    put in an immersive 3d ride in Magic Eye Theatre
    Total 250M

Total Disneyland Budget: 993,050,000

I will have my DCA thoughts up tomorrow......
    Love your ideas on DL can't wait for DCA