Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Radiator Springs Racers - the negatives

I've been on RSR twice in the daytime. The first time I thought...meh. Second time was a little better.

My issues are...

1. When the ride starts the music queues up. No transition, Indy has the choose your destiny, SM has the countdown, Screamin even has a countdown, ToT has the opening sequence. With RSR you just jump into it, no build up.

2. Along with the music when you enter the portion with the waterfall again no transition. You go from this catchy driving music to an epic score. Just seems like it jumps.

3. As mentioned before the idea of going through RS doesn't make much sense after you just walked it.

4. Dark ride portion the audio is hard to hear and with the race.

5. Ending is fairly anti climatic. Would have been neat to have Luigi and Guido at the finish line waving flags.

• Musical Fireman

Re: Racers is great and all.....but

The face projections probably just came in at the last minute, to make the opening deadline. There will likely be a date when the projections will be improved.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of ol' Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    When the ride starts the music queues up. No transition, Indy has the choose your destiny, SM has the countdown, Screamin even has a countdown, ToT has the opening sequence. With RSR you just jump into it, no build up.
    Wait a second.......most of those attractions start with immediate bursts of music! Indy starts almost immediately with sudden music from Raiders of the Lost Ark (right after Sallah's quick spiel over the radio), Space's music starts with a big orchestra note as soon as you start moving out of the station, and Screamin's music starts with the cheerful carnival music as soon as you start moving out of the station! Tower starts with the faux Rod Serling lines, but the music comes in at pretty much the same time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    Wait a second.......most of those attractions start with immediate bursts of music! Indy starts almost immediately with sudden music from Raiders of the Lost Ark (right after Sallah's quick spiel over the radio), Space's music starts with a big orchestra note as soon as you start moving out of the station, and Screamin's music starts with the cheerful carnival music as soon as you start moving out of the station! Tower starts with the faux Rod Serling lines, but the music comes in at pretty much the same time.
    I think what this poster meant was the lack of 'pre-show' so to speak--there's no explanation as to why you're driving through Radiator Springs, you just are. That's one other negative with the ride...it really doesn't make all that much sense. I get that they tried with the Stanley's Oasis thing but that honestly seems forced and irrelevant, and not very interesting to boot. I don't know where the rave reviews about the queue are coming from, maybe I missed something?

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    I think what this poster meant was the lack of 'pre-show' so to speak--there's no explanation as to why you're driving through Radiator Springs, you just are. That's one other negative with the ride...it really doesn't make all that much sense.
    I thought the basic storyline actually made sense... You've come to Radiator Springs for a big race (outdoor segment). Hence, why the car is on the road into RS, almost hits other cars, gets stopped by the Sheriff and eventually drives through the town. Your car either gets a new paint job before the race or white-wall tires and then, you race. Some of the AA's actually mention "the big race".
    Because Bert Said So!

• Minion

Yeah they mention it throughout but...why? Why are we in a big race? Why are there humans in a living car world? I know it takes suspension of disbelief and I really enjoyed myself but if you really think about RSR and compare it to some of the DL classics, this kinda counts as a negative. I mean in Indy we're looking for treasures of the temple via tours by Sallah. On Star Tours we are at an airport to travel to different planets. Even on a ride as simple as the Matterhorn it's not far-fetched to think we are bobsledding down a mountain recreationally. I mean it's a stupid little quip that doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the ride, but a negative nonetheless, especially on the so-called 'best ride at the DLR'.

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

Yeah they mention it throughout but...why? Why are we in a big race? Why are there humans in a living car world?
    True, I never thought of that, but then again, the same could be said for Splash Mountain for instance...
    Because Bert Said So!

I think what this poster meant was the lack of 'pre-show' so to speak--there's no explanation as to why you're driving through Radiator Springs, you just are. That's one other negative with the ride...it really doesn't make all that much sense. I get that they tried with the Stanley's Oasis thing but that honestly seems forced and irrelevant, and not very interesting to boot. I don't know where the rave reviews about the queue are coming from, maybe I missed something?

Yes there really is no pre-show. It just feels too forced. You just sit there after the safety check once the car starts to move the music comes on, just too forced and no build up. Maybe have Lightening McQueen announce that you have to get to town for the big race or make it sound like the radio is switching to different stations then go to the music and start the ride.

•   

Yeah they mention it throughout but...why? Why are we in a big race?
    For the same reason we fly through scenes from Peter Pan, or float through an old Caribbean town being ransacked by pirates, or swerve through outer space on a rocket, or tour a plantation house filled with 999 happy haunts, or ride an out-of-control locomotive through the wilderness, or fly over the natural and manmade wonders of California.........because it's fun!

That being said, some of these comments have me thinking about how Racers could better communicate its story. Hmmmm...........

Why are there humans in a living car world?
    For the same reason people carry churros and iPhones in the Old West, or wear anachronistic fashions in a spaceport of the future, or take flash photos of 18th century buccaneers, or drive a mine cart through Snow White's living room, or have full-sized functional bodies in a world occupied solely by miniature dolls that sing about world peace...........because guests exist, and they're always going to bring their here-and-now reality into the elsewhere/elsewhen fantasy of the parks. The only way you can avoid enormous contrasts between the parks and their visitors is by theming the parks to the real world, which is about the most boring thing you can do. (Or force every guest to don thematically appropriate costumes and behaviors every time they enter an area with a different theme.........which would be awesome, but good luck pulling it off!)

Theme parks play by their own set of really weird rules, mostly out of sheer necessity. I've always found those rules to be pretty fun in a bizarre way, and I find that Racers plays by those rules pretty well. But that's just me.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CMinParadise View Post
    For the same reason we fly through scenes from Peter Pan, or float through an old Caribbean town being ransacked by pirates, or swerve through outer space on a rocket, or tour a plantation house filled with 999 happy haunts, or ride an out-of-control locomotive through the wilderness, or fly over the natural and manmade wonders of California.........because it's fun!

That being said, some of these comments have me thinking about how Racers could better communicate its story. Hmmmm...........

For the same reason people carry churros and iPhones in the Old West, or wear anachronistic fashions in a spaceport of the future, or take flash photos of 18th century buccaneers, or drive a mine cart through Snow White's living room, or have full-sized functional bodies in a world occupied solely by miniature dolls that sing about world peace...........because guests exist, and they're always going to bring their here-and-now reality into the elsewhere/elsewhen fantasy of the parks. The only way you can avoid enormous contrasts between the parks and their visitors is by theming the parks to the real world, which is about the most boring thing you can do. (Or force every guest to don thematically appropriate costumes and behaviors every time they enter an area with a different theme.........which would be awesome, but good luck pulling it off!)

Theme parks play by their own set of really weird rules, mostly out of sheer necessity. I've always found those rules to be pretty fun in a bizarre way, and I find that Racers plays by those rules pretty well. But that's just me.
    Yeah I totally get that...but there are some rides that do this better. Indy is the best one I can think of...everything is explained. Why are you going in the temple? To score treasure. Why is it well-lit and excavated? Because several others have explored it. Why are there troop transport vehicles and other people inside, along with video clips? Because Sallah is conducting tours through the temple. Why does everything go wrong? Because you can't help but look into Mara's eye. That's solid. Yeah, with most rides we have to go with it and I get that--there's nothing that annoys me more than when people pick apart every little detail in Disneyland because Disneyland is for fun...it's not a museum, it's not a recreation of real-life. And RSR is super fun!

But is this little lack of detail a negative? No, not to me, I can go with the ride because it's fun. But does it take away from making it the best ride at the DLR...yeah I kinda think so.

• Minion

Does the queue qualify as a pre-show?

In my opinion, it is. The ride itself is the show, and the queue comes before it, hence a pre-show. Some people could argue that the projector room is the only pre-show because it is literally a film show, but I don't buy it. A pre-show is supposed to ready you up to the main event, and the queue is the pre-show on Indy. It explains the many different details and stories as to what the temple is, why you're going in there, why it looks that way, and the path you took. RSR is a bunch of shacks and a bottle house. No story is given until you are on the ride. It's like watching TV when suddenly an episode from a show you don't know comes up. You have no idea what's going on or you just have very basic knowledge. Clunky example but that's how I think of it.

The only negative I experienced is the windshields. There is some sort of dotted pattern on it I assume to act as a sun blocker but this along with water spots can make it hard for a small person or child to fully see through it. As another had mentioned the volume is loud which can make it slightly difficult to understand, but I still made out the main idea behind everything.

I was able to but a kid sitting in the middle may have trouble. Other than that the projection that everyone is talking about I noticed but the kid I was with didnt mind so it didnt bother me either.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I haven't been yet, but have heard that heat could be an issue in the queue with all the concrete and little shade. Is it an issue?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Addicted to MC since '08

On Sunday, neither the Sheriff animatronic nor the mirror effect in Luigi's were working.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234