Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: The Future of Tower of Terror?

Quote Originally Posted by KevRus View Post
    Someone made a great post a few days back about what exactly defines an E-Ticket, and they defined an E-Ticket as being an attraction where - essentially - the Imagineers went "all out" and spared no expenses. I don't think ToT fits that bill, but you're right - going by that same definition many of those attractions would not fit the bill either. Perhaps I should rephrase - I'm worried ToT is going to feel more and more inferior as more and more quality attractions are added to DCA.

Yes, ToT is popular, and thus "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." My question is more wishful thinking than anything, as I agree there are many other problems in DCA that deserve more immediate attention. But in the long-term, ToT was built on the cheap, and I'm wondering if it is going to need some sprucing up down the line.

I don't hate our Tower. I just don't like that the big effect (the mirror effect) they presented as a selling point was so underwhelming compared to the 5th Dimension (despite its technical problems), and now it doesn't even work. The attraction essentially has one effect nowadays: the hallway scene. Yes, I like the boiler room, but I don't like how all of the lighting is entirely exposed on the ceiling. Obviously, that's something that probably can't be fixed, not to mention it's nitpicking. But the show scenes certainly can be!
    That post wasn't great, it was ignorance from someone who's obsessed with characters, who would turn DLR into nothing but a collection of randomly placed "Disney" themes with no sense of rhyme or reason. This definition of E-ticket is absurd, there is never a ride ever built where the Imagineers get to go all out, so then there are no E-tickets by that definition.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• "What? What?"

I wish they would repair the "destroyed" part ont he outside and just make it look like an old hotel. And I think it would be even more awesome to add a second ride to it. There could be two lines through the lobby, one to the elevators, and one down a long hall (which would take you back stage of the tower into a show building) and have a different ride back there still themed to Tower of Terror and Twilight Zone. Maybe a small dark ride (haunted mansion like) that takes you through rooms of the hotel.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

• King of Los Angeles

Tower cost around $200 million - hardly built on the cheap. The mirror effect has always worked for me.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post
    Tower cost around $200 million - hardly built on the cheap. The mirror effect has always worked for me.
    What? No way it cost 200 million. Do you have a source? I think it was significantly under $100 million.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzedLightyear View Post

The last few times I rode it it worked as well, and that is my favorite part of the ride, and I am not the only one in my group if friends who think that.

I created this elevation for a for-fun project I did for WDSP, but it's the same design. The intent is to lessen the "squatness" of this park landmark.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    I created this elevation for a for-fun project I did for WDSP, but it's the same design. The intent is to lessen the "squatness" of this park landmark.
    Very nice! I like the tower, not sure how much structural work it would require, but if the tower could handle the load I'd love to see that done. But it would still be a low priority. I'm much rather put money into the back-lot and PP first and the Grizzly Peak. But that's a nice design. I think it actually would go really nicely with the proposed facade for the Hyperion. Funny that you designed it for Paris.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

I honestly believe ToT is the most immersive ride in DCA (though I haven't been on RSR yet). The theme is so perfectly eerie and the storytelling is done well from the queue to the ride itself. E-Ticket all the way.

I'm surprised some of you don't find this ride very detailed. I rode for the first time last spring break, along with some family, and we thought it was great! The hotel lobby, library, boiler room...all very impressive, in our opinions. We loved the story in the library and in the elevator itself.

• Boise Mouse

Tower is a ride that we look forward to everytime, and end up riding it at least twice a day every day we are there. The mirror effect worked as it should every time we rode during our 6 day PH last week and the week before. To us, this is most definitely an e-ticketer! It would be cool to have random timed drops though. I noticed this trip that our first ride was more exciting than our last, only because we knew when the drops would be. Still love it though!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    What? No way it cost 200 million. Do you have a source? I think it was significantly under $100 million.
    Yeah... RSR was around 200 million. ToT, if I recall, was about 90 million.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    Yeah... RSR was around 200 million. ToT, if I recall, was about 90 million.
    Sounds more like it, but are you sure that didn't include Flick's Fun Fair too?
    -Walt Disney

• Former CM

Yeah ToT was somewhere in the 70-90 million range. Expensive, yeah, but nowhere near the budgets of any of the other towers.

• Banned User

There is NOTHING wrong with this ride. It's not a reminder of the "cheap" DCA, it's the beginning of the turnaround. The ride fits better than ever now, seeing as Snow White came out in the late 30s (where BVS is set), and that's when the ride takes place. Changing the exterior would serve no purpose. You can always add more, but sometimes enough is enough.

---------- Post added 06-21-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak15 View Post
    Yeah ToT was somewhere in the 70-90 million range. Expensive, yeah, but nowhere near the budgets of any of the other towers.
    Money spent doesn't equate quality. Quality equates to quality. True artists can do great stuff with 100million, or 100 period.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I love the ToT! It's on my top 5 attractions list and falls in a category right below RSR/Indy for me. Very immersive and detailed. Whenever I ride the attraction I'm totally taken away and out of the theme park to this creepy, abandoned hotel on the far side. The music, sound effects, queue, lighting...all of it totally puts you into this environment and does such a great job at building suspense for the attraction. I've NEVER gotten an "on the cheap" feeling from this attraction.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast