Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Former CM

Re: The Future of Tower of Terror?

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    There is NOTHING wrong with this ride. It's not a reminder of the "cheap" DCA, it's the beginning of the turnaround. The ride fits better than ever now, seeing as Snow White came out in the late 30s (where BVS is set), and that's when the ride takes place. Changing the exterior would serve no purpose. You can always add more, but sometimes enough is enough.

---------- Post added 06-21-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

Money spent doesn't equate quality. Quality equates to quality. True artists can do great stuff with 100million, or 100 period.
    ^I'm not saying our Tower isn't quality! I love our ToT, more than Florida's version!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Sounds more like it, but are you sure that didn't include Flick's Fun Fair too?
    No clue. I really just recall the number. Certainly under 100 million though... and much less than other versions. Still, I absolutely love the attraction. I also love how it looks lit up at night.

• Go Bears!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    That post wasn't great, it was ignorance from someone who's obsessed with characters, who would turn DLR into nothing but a collection of randomly placed "Disney" themes with no sense of rhyme or reason. This definition of E-ticket is absurd, there is never a ride ever built where the Imagineers get to go all out, so then there are no E-tickets by that definition.
    I'm just referring to the post...not the poster. Heck I don't even remember who the poster was. Of course that's not the be all and end all definition of an E-Ticket, and it's probably not the best definition, but I'm just trying to point out that a lot more could have been put into ToT.

Hmm maybe some updated effects would be cool

• Banned User

The HalloweenTime effects should be permanent. Lightning and such.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Freefall rides scare the beejeezus out of me, so I've been on TOT only 3 times. The details in the queue and the ride itself are very detailed and did not feel cheap to me at all. I was thoroughly convinced I had stepped into another time and place. I would go on TOT again but not for the thrills it provides, but to enjoy the storytelling. (I still wish there was a way out of the "falling" part of the attraction)

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    Freefall rides scare the beejeezus out of me, so I've been on TOT only 3 times. The details in the queue and the ride itself are very detailed and did not feel cheap to me at all. I was thoroughly convinced I had stepped into another time and place. I would go on TOT again but not for the thrills it provides, but to enjoy the storytelling. (I still wish there was a way out of the "falling" part of the attraction)
    And isn't that exactly what Walt wanted? To tell a story?

i enjoy tower of terror the way it is. if i had a choice i would save the money and update or build a attraction

• Artistic integrity

Tower of Terror suffers from being one of the shortest E-Ticket-billed attractions in Disney theme park history. At a disappointing 2 minutes and 20 seconds, grand total time. With the first special effect (mirror trick) running no more than 12 seconds. Followed by the hallway scene, which runs 32 seconds, exactly. (Your total amount of “Disney showroom magic” at no more than 44 seconds.) With the remainder of the ride – random set of “climbs and drops”– just under a minute.

Meanwhile, the original in WDW, runs about a minute more. That minute more, being the 5th Dimension room. Having been on it, WDW’s version allows my mind to absorb the intriguing environment just barely long enough, to feel I was in a bona-fide IMMERSIVE E Ticket attraction.

Here, a comprehensive list of some of Disneyland's current attractions – billed “ E Tickets” - that make the effort to have a running time, long enough, to really get into it:

Enchanted Tiki Room – 14 minutes
    Jungle Cruise - 7 minutes minimum, if not more (depending on your skipper)
    Indiana Jones – 3 minutes
    PotC – 16 minutes
    Haunted Mansion – 7 minutes (Omnimover portion)
    Splash Mountain – 9 minutes
    Big Thunder Mtn Railroad – 3 minutes
    It’s A Small World – 15 minutes
    Finding Nemo Subs – 14 minutes
    Star Tours – 4 minutes
    Space Mountain – 3 minutes

On to newer DCA attractions following ToT in 2004:

Midway Mania – 5 minutes
    Little Mermaid – 6 minutes
    Radiator Springs Racers – 4 minutes

^^^ All in contrast to ToT being the only major attraction that makes me feel that I've been raced-through, with no chance of getting into it.

If only ToT’s preshow did anything on the level of Haunted Mansion’s preshow elements, like the Stretch Gallery, music, and other nifty elements which can found in the changing portraits hallway, storm outside the windows, busts with eyes that follow us ….. then the attraction could feel like it begins the second we walk into the main building. But as it is now ….. the library and boiler room don’t do a heck of a lot! The boiler room is mostly “static”. And the library – what does it do? Oh, lights dim, and a tv comes on – WOW! ;-) Yet Haunted Mansion’s 1969 tech – 35 years before ToT – and it provides more pizzazz …. than an attraction that constantly reminds me of an old Peggy Lee song – Is that all there is?

Anyway … we can almost pin down the years of 1996 to 2004 as one specific era in the history of the DLR. With attractions that were not only built on the cheap, but built for even shorter than short attention spans. I think it's safe to say - That era is gone!

And we can almost see this clearly defined line, because now – Any major attraction built after 2004, doesn’t have a running time of anything less than 4 minutes.

And sadly for me, ToT ranks about a B Ticket, and at the very bottom my list of things to go on. For, after growing up on immersive classics, I have very little interest in attractions with a lousy 44 seconds of total “show room scene” time. That is Disney’s hallmark. Which is why we use that term – Immersion, all the time.

Who doesn’t love that quality in a Disney theme park? Where we get lost in worlds of wonder … where our minds have enough time to really absorb, and get into those intriguing, mystical environments … that have us coming back all the time?

ToT at 2:20 just does not cut it.

But if Disney wants to do something about it at some point in the future – I say JAZZ UP the entire preshow of it. From the moment we step into the hotel doorway … till the time we board our elevator. And what I mean by JAZZING UP … make some of the props move – As if moved by a ghost. Disney has some 60 years of experience with special visual effects … DO SOME for the library and the boiler room. How about some additional lighting effects – How hard is this?? I mean, really! ;-) If they want ToT to be billed - one of DCA’s finest E Tickets for nearly EVERYONE … then pimp it up! ;-) And - No – adding to it, does not mean changing the drop sequence. It’s all about what makes Disney famous in the first place – SHOWmanship.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^yeah I always thought the Preshow...was lacking compared to HM

Maybe adding some moving shadow projections in the Boiler room could be fun (along with maybe some things add you can touch, and turn, etc)

• Team Hail HYDRA

^ YES bring some interactive queue games and stuff here
    and more single rider

While I wont go on this ride anymore since I dont find it fun, I did always think the theming and general story is well done. I was convinced it was an old haunted hotel.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

add a loop like they will on Pirates

but seriously i think minor lighting effects should do the trick

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Disneyland Original '55

I love Tower of Terror and i feel the building is the best themed attraction pre-DCA expansion. The cheapness has no visible affect on the theme to make it look cheep. True some of the effects that exist in the Hollywood Studios TOT in Florida couldn't fit into the dimensions of the building, like the tunnel and exit effects, and true the Tokyo theme of their TOT is extraordinary, with the position of TOT in DCA and the height requirements of Anaheim, the way the DCA Tower has been the most effective for the park and the view of TOT from cars land makes scene with the dessert, it may not make scene for the movie theme but the backdrop is acceptable for a Disney Park, like Cinderella Castle in distance behind Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom. The only things that i would like to see change would be the transition into Bugs Land, I love Bugs Land, I find the area is a great way to connect to the original Pixar movies. But i feel that the best way to connect TOT area with the rest of the park would be through Cars Land if feel like the area could be better connected and the parade route could be extended to connect to where the future Radiator Springs Drive Inn Theatre. Which is another thing I don't like about the area is the Parade route through the area, The area is very bland between the Hyperton and the Parade Entrance, the Parade is LOUD and ruins the outdoor queue and if the parade route is going through Hollywood Land the queue needs to distract the guests away from the parade going through. Im really glad that phase two of DCA expansion is Hollywood Land and I'm confident that TOT will not be left out and will be given a good touch up.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

When they get around to building a proper waiting area/facade for the Hyperion they can make this corner of the park pretty nice since you'd expect a theater and luxury hotel to be located in a nicer part of the city. I'd like them to make the exterior a little nicer looking. With the new theme of Hollywoodland, the "accident" would have happened recently, so the exterior of the hotel should look like something that recently closed down, not a hotel that have been out of business for decades.

Beyond that, I would like to see a couple for effects and more references to classic Twilight Zone episodes. Maybe even an attached casual table service restaurant (something more in the Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans price range). One very simple thing they could do to improve the ride is to update the opening video with better special effects.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast