Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Ok So What Do You All Think Is Going To Happen With The Matterhorns Bobsleds?

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    I think this is the third time I have mentioned this on MC and it can be found elsewhere... so bear with me if you think that you've heard this all before.

The new sleek sleds are mainly for looks based on the upcoming movie. They are not going anywhere.

Harold II (that's Harold The Second, not Harold Two), will be installed after the movie (only if it makes enough money I suppose). He is just on paper so far... I do not think they have made an AA of him yet. The mountain is now ready to accomodate him tho. I think b/c they used a bit of forsight, the ride will not have to be down very long to "snap" him into place(s) when the time comes.

The script calls him "Harold", but I am not sure if they use this name in dialogue. Either way, its kinda cool, b/c it is a nod to DL fans who spread this name around after hearing CMs use it for decades.

Disclaimer: Of course, this is all rumor...
    Does Harold II have a different appearance than the current Harold?
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• some assembly required

Re: Ok So What Do You All Think Is Going To Happen With The Matterhorns Bobsleds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ntretner View Post
    Has anyone here actually gone to City Hall and made an official complaint regarding the new bobsleds? I really don't think we're going to see any major changes to these new bobsleds anytime soon, unless this issue were to make headline news due to some unfortunate injury. I'm pretty sure that these recent modifications were already quite expensive and the sleds would probably have to be stretched in order to accommodate the talker folks, which would probably throw off the whole ride system. I just don't understand why they wouldn't at the very least add some padding to the seats, unless Disney is already concerned that it would take up even more precious space/room for the passengers. There must be some logical explanation for this. I just don't see Disney deliberately trying to make this ride even more uncomfortable for everyone. I also don't buy the whole movie-tie-in thing. They could have just repainted the old sleds to match the movie if that were the case. When I look at the new videos online, the passengers just look very awkward with their knees pressing up against their chest.

These will not look excatallllly like the ones in the movie. The movie version will look more like a real bobsled (I do not think the movie version will have "seat backs" LOL!). These new ones just appear more realistic. The older ones looked too knobby, the new ones have to have more of a bullet shape for this action movie.

I am sure if we complain enough at TH, they could add a bit of cusion to the seat portion (but I don't think there is room on the seat backs...)

---------- Post added 06-22-2012 at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Does Harold II have a different appearance than the current Harold?
    He is similar in shape, color (black face, white fur, red eyes).
    I think size is obviously taller, tho he wasn't rendered next to anything as far as scale is concerned, so I don't know. His fangs are more shark-like and less mammal-carnivore-like (meaning all sharp, but close to the same size as the rest of his teeth). His face is slightly more dog-like in shape, and less like a gorilla (there is more definition to his muzzel area). My first reaction was that this werewolf craze in the USA is reflected in Harold II. But I think it is quite faithful to Harold I.

There is no model that I am aware of... and I am pretty sure there is no version of an AA just yet b/c Harold II can be scrapped at any time and re-done at this point. The puppetry dept. has yet to get their hands on him. I am pretty sure he will be more than 90% CGI in this film as most ppl would guess.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by roythe13th View Post
    just order the rockets from wdw space mountain, paint them different colors and call it a day. They have padding, more room for bigger/taller people and will work on the matterhorn track. I don't understand why that wasn't done all along anyways.
    exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

•   
    • Minion

Pros: I like the single-rider line; I like the fact that the sleds are one person per seat; I think they are pretty.

I am 4'11" and I had room to stretch my legs out a little in Row 4...but I think that anyone taller has a problem. I was surprised they didn't put padding in the seats; it really does make the ride rough.

I wonder if adding padding would be something they could do. As others have said, I am surprised they didn't add sleds that are more like the WDW Space Mountain ones. Those are single file but they have padding and lap bars.

I hadn't thought about making a complaint at City Hall, but it's a good idea.

Yeah they need to be replaced pronto or at least have padding because it is very rough.
    The turns are still hard and now it is to small for tall guests.

I was with a friend tonight that worked on the Matterhorn tracks for 3 years 20 years ago. He got irritated when I said people had been complaining about a rough ride. He said they specifically designed the old tracks to be rough to be like a real bobsled.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
    Mark Twain

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Diznygrl View Post
    How long have they been working on bringing these new sleds to the Matterhorn? Like three years? The fact that they got so many things wrong is indeed puzzling.
    *koff* last Monorail upgrade *koff*

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    You wonder why the tester were not like.....wait this is uncomfortable and not padded..why?

I wish Disney hired less "Yes" men and more people that are willing to speak there mind when it comes to rides and say this works great..but this needs some work
    There are always a number of employees and managers who will risk political disfavor by speaking truth to power at Disney.

The number of upper management who will listen and act on it, however, is another story.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    *koff* last Monorail upgrade *koff*
    What is wrong with the last monorail upgrade?

From this:
    Name:  MonorailPurple400-AVP.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  29.8 KB

To this:
    Name:  Monorail.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  204.7 KB
    HUGE IMPROVEMENT!
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    What is wrong with the last monorail upgrade?
    The reference was not to their styling.

(Keywords for your search: unopenable windows, roasting guests, cars not fitting track, hugely expensive repairs).

And no, OSHA didn't have anything to do with that one, either.

- Neil Gabler

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The reference was not to their styling.

(Keywords for your search: unopenable windows, roasting guests, cars not fitting track, hugely expensive repairs).

And no, OSHA didn't have anything to do with that one, either.
    The windows in the picture of the new one are open!
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    The windows in the picture of the new one are open!
    That's correct. The monorail windows in the picture are open.

It's also correct that the monorail in the picture actually fits on the beam, and is able to run.

The reference in my post (and the allusion to the redesigned Matterhorn bobsleds) is to the story of how long it took and how much it cost to fix those and other screwups that were discovered after the new Monorails had been designed, built, delivered and rolled out on the beam.

There are numerous threads in this forum that document what happened.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-23-2012 at 01:17 AM.

- Neil Gabler

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by sailor310 View Post
    I was with a friend tonight that worked on the Matterhorn tracks for 3 years 20 years ago. He got irritated when I said people had been complaining about a rough ride. He said they specifically designed the old tracks to be rough to be like a real bobsled.
    I absolutely agree with your friend, the Matterhorn would be boring if it were smooth going 17mph. It isn't the design of the track that is the issue here, it's the uncomfortable and terrible design of the new bobsleds. If Disney had left the double seating concept alone and added some padding we wouldn't be having this conversation. This is yet another one of the million examples of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

hmmm am i the only one who isnt getting banged up by the new sleds?

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• I am number 4 of 999

I'm 5' 7" and I've never been happier on the Matterhorn! I hated the old track and bobsleds! I always felt like my hand was going to break off at the wrist while holding the side rails, and I always got pretty banged up throughout the ride. I fit in the new sled like a glove, AND they added pouches to put your items in, so I don't have to worry about that anymore, either! And even though the outsides of the sled look pretty soaked, I didn't get wet at the end. So I'm pretty satisfied with the refurb!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

I can't speak for the old Matterhorn because I just rode it for the first time last week. I was so excited but I wont ever ride it again it gave me a headache that benched me for the rest of the day.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast