Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• curiouser and curiouser

Does the Monorail really belong inside the park?

Disneyland is the only Disney park where the Monorail actually goes into the park. Lately I've been seeing it as more of an intrusion on the fantasyland and Submarine/Nemo theme.
    I know that the Monorail has been there forever, and it would probably feel a little strange if they suddenly removed it, but if you try to see beyond the nostalgic reasons for why it should stay (iside the park), what are your thoughts on how it fits in with the rest of the lands, and what are the benefits of keeping it inside the park?

Re: Does the Monorail really belong inside the park?

The monorail goes into Epcot.

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

First Monorail in the Western Hemisphere, so it should stay, it helps shuttle people in and out of the park, and belongs to the theme of Tomorrowland (more or less). Besides, removing it would be the final nail in the coffin of the kinetic energy that Tomorrowland used to have, and should have.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    First Monorail in the Western Hemisphere, so it should stay, it helps shuttle people in and out of the park, and belongs to the theme of Tomorrowland (more or less). Besides, removing it would be the final nail in the coffin of the kinetic energy that Tomorrowland used to have, and should have.
    This.

• Minion

I like riding the Monorail in the park and looking out at all the people. Passing near or over other attractions (Motor Boat Cruise, Autopia, Submarines, PeopleMover, Matterhorn) created a synergy. "The park is the ride."

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    what are your thoughts on how it fits in with the rest of the lands, and what are the benefits of keeping it inside the park?
    if you mean just the Disneyland side, except for the part that goes around the Matterhorn it doesn't really impact the rest of the lands. the rest of the route skirts the edge of the park outside the berm and what was the parking lot. also having glimpses for attractions from neighboring lands adds to the interest and can't be avoided.

as for DCA, well the monorail was there first and it doesn't intrude too much for me.

it might have made the early days of DCA more difficult, a reminder that there was a bigger better park next door.

• -

The Monorail was in the park before it was a transportation system. It wasn't until two years later that it was lengthened to extend to the hotel.

As for it intruding on Fantasyland, when the Monorail was built, the area that it passes through was Tomorrowland. The Matterhorn was moved to Fantasyland in the 70's taking that section of the Monorail track with it, so if anything it is Fantasyland intruding on the Monorail.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nutty about Disney parks

If there was anyway to take apart and restructure the monorail track piece by piece to provide a convenient source of transportation throughout all the areas of the resort (including M&F), I would be all up for that. But that's a pipe dream really. It does feel kinda pointless having the monorail for transport when you can just walk from DTD to DL vice versa. With that said, I doubt a removal is necessary and will probably cost a lot of money not to mention create a mess in the TL area.

• Minion

They should extend it to include the third park when it is built, and connect all 3 parks, and all Disney-owned hotels. They will need some kind of transportation system at that point, and they could use the existing Monorail as the foundation for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    They should extend it to include the third park when it is built, and connect all 3 parks, and all Disney-owned hotels. They will need some kind of transportation system at that point, and they could use the existing Monorail as the foundation for that.
    If the third park happens, then what you described will probably not happen, based on the Florida model. The monorail there connects MK, TTC, Epcot, and the Magic Kingdom hotels, with the other two parks accesible through your private car, buses, or water craft.

• Down Pluto!

Of course it belongs in the park. It was part of a bold park expansion/update in 1959 and has a place in the past, present, and future.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Hooterville, USA

It is Disneyland!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Senior Minion

Personally, I see the Monorail as a Disneyland Icon. It's probably about third on my list of things that should never be completely removed behind the Castle and Matterhorn. If they wanted to shorten it a bit to fit in a new TL ride I'd be ok with that.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The Monorail was in the park before it was a transportation system. It wasn't until two years later that it was lengthened to extend to the hotel.
    This exactly. The Disneyland Monorail was installed as an attraction (E-ticket). The WDW monorail is a mode of transportation. I like it as an attraction because I think it's a fun way to see the park from a different vantage point.

•   
    • Minion

Sure! It was very exciting technology when it was created and it's still pretty novel...can you think of a major American city with a monorail? The only one I can think of is Las Vegas. It's not something that most people will ride on a regular basis, so it is an attraction.

Plus, it's fun to spiral around through Tomorrowland. I don't think you really see it too much from Fantasyland. The only time I ever noticed it was when I was in the area across from iasw and that's outside of Fantasyland proper, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast