Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Should Disney be more strict about enforcing rules?

There is this whole culture at DL that believes receiving a complaint is a failure. If you get a complaint you get written up regardless of the validity of the complaint. The corporate logic is that they empower CMs to make guests happy (and I must admit, CMs to have a lot more room to "make things right" at DL than most other places) so when you fail to make a guest happy and they complain, you have made a mistake. I believe this is a DL thing as WDW seems a bit more strict based on what I've experienced and heard. Other local theme parks are also more strict although it can be argued that the different demographics of the visitors may require them to stay on top of things a bit more.

I have a couple stories of how ridiculous from when I worked there. First there was the lead who got written up because a guest complained that he asked her to stop smoking in a dining area. Second, the lead that got written up for cultural sensitivity because he asked guests to stop throwing food at each other and they made up that he used a racial slur (I knew the guy and not only would he never use those words, if he did he'd be smart enough not to use them on stage). Third, a CM and his manager got written up by higher ups (which I also think cost the manager a promotion) because some guests complained that their table had been cleared before they were done eating (a pretty common scam, and part of the reason why River Belle Terrace no longer uses real plates). They refused to give the guests a free meal and couldn't have if they wanted to because the restaurant was not yet open! Of course the complaint got the scammers a free meal and the CMs that stood their ground got disciplined.

Oh and one story I saw as a guest. There were a bunch of people waiting for a pin release in Tomorrowland. The CM announced that they would be forming a line over in one area. This one woman, who was not near the area, decided that instead of getting into line she would start screaming and cursing. Instead of getting kicked out, they let her go in before everyone else in line.

• Minion

Thank you for that insight. Those stories really illustrate how bad guests can behave. The management really should listen to both sides of the story before doing anything (rewarding a guest or punishing the CM). Doesn't it seem like if you make one guest happy by allowing them to cheat, you are also making many other guests unhappy? If you allow a guest to cheat the disabled line, or the FastPass line, or the single rider line, just so that guest doesn't complain, don't you risk making 10 or 20 other guests unhappy at the same time, possibly causing them to complain?

• TJ

Disney can do whatever they want, and I do believe that they need to enforce their rules. What if everyone "accidentally" went into the disabled line? It's not fair for some people to wait 5 minutes when they're perfectly capable of waiting just as long as everyone else. If you have a disability, they have disability cards and wheelchairs for a reason.

• Minion

I can see where they want to project a friendly image rather than a draconian one, but they could still enforce rules in a friendly way IF they were willing to pony up the cash to increase staffing levels and provide some real training. However, like most modern large companies, staffing is the absolute last thing they want to spend one dime more on than they can get away with.

I'm sure a lot of people get away with stuff because there simply isn't anyone there to stop them.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    Yes. They really need to. I think it's too hard to do though. Disneyland is sued more then any other theme park. People can always turn rules being enforced into some type of discrimination or something along those lines.
    Its nothing to do with liability and everything to do with customer service.

The company never wants to risk having a CM make a mistake and penalize a guest who made an honest mistake.

The problem is the world is full of crap people who have no qualms about taking generousity and abusing it.

The company's stance is to accept the abuse to avoid possibly catching the innocent in the net.

Personally I think if you train your people correctly, you should be able to make common sense judgements at the right level of management. However, the company chooses to not trust it's own employees.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Why are we expecting Disney University to do its job when the individual jobs are are managed by direct supervisors who should be providing additional training? Customer ettiquette should also be enforced on a daily or weekly basis by supervisors and peers. This should be an issue of corporate culture. Disney University cannot anticipate everyone's job especially since not everyone is on the front line.

As for the rules, they are enforced for the most part, but not always consistently. You're only complaining because you want to be the exception. If everyone violated the rules, there will be mayhem and Disney will shut things down quickly to achieve order. Otherwise, an exception or two will make no difference.

• Minion

Here's a hypothetical situation, but not outside the realm of possibility. My Mom (who is 93 and in a wheelchair) are standing in the short line for disabled guests to get on an attraction such as Small World. The guest in front of us in that line doesn't appear to be disabled, and the CM is skeptical, but the guest makes up some story such as they don't have the endurance to stand in line or something. Not wanting to penalize that guest, and not wanting to avoid getting a complaint and thus written up, the CM allows that guest on the attraction. Then before we get to go on it, the attraction closes for some reason, and we never get to go on it. And that was my Mom's last time ever at Disneyland. Now who got penalized? This didn't happen but it is certainly possible. My point is that whenever they allow one guest to abuse the rules, they do affect the other guests' enjoyment of the park, even if only a little bit by delaying them a few minutes, they do affect the other guests by allowing that one guest to abuse the rules. Doesn't that mean anything to the park management?

• Banned User

-
    Last edited by StevenW; 06-28-2012 at 07:14 AM.

It really upsets me how people these days have this sense of entitlement. Let's just say for the sake of argument that I somehow mistake a handicap entrance as a "shorter line". If I got up there and the CM says, "Sorry sir, this is the entrance for disabled guests," I'd say, "Whoops. My bad," and I'd go to the end of the line.
    Where do people get off thinking that they can work the system and have the right to complain if they're asked to follow the same rules as the rest of us?

• Minion

But it seems like they are more interested in appeasing the cheaters so as to avoid a "scene," than they are interested in honoring the guests who ARE playing by the rules. Any time they allow someone to cheat the rules, they are indirectly affecting the honest guests, even by a little. Those who notice that the cheater got away with what they did, may feel a little cheated themselves and that may create a little resentment and reduce their enjoyment of the day. But the park finds that acceptable. They coddle the cheaters even if it makes the honest guests' day less magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    But it seems like they are more interested in appeasing the cheaters so as to avoid a "scene," than they are interested in honoring the guests who ARE playing by the rules. Any time they allow someone to cheat the rules, they are indirectly affecting the honest guests, even by a little. Those who notice that the cheater got away with what they did, may feel a little cheated themselves and that may create a little resentment and reduce their enjoyment of the day. But the park finds that acceptable. They coddle the cheaters even if it makes the honest guests' day less magical.
    That's true but the only reason they coddle so is because they fear that the cheaters will throw a tantrum. They shouldn't have to live in that fear. If people didn't think they deserve the right to cheat, they wouldn't have a fit when they're denied the opportunity.
    And thus the circle continues.

first off let me say I hate cheaters but I do think Disney is doing the right thing avoiding a scene because if there is a big scene it would delay the ride make people waiting fill out of place or uncomfortable and just ripple in to other peoples magic so I know we all hate it but it is probably best.

• Minion

Disney is enabling and encouraging the cheaters by giving in to them. If instead they were strict so that it became widely known that you couldn't cheat the lines, then fewer people would try to. But if it is known that you can get away with it, then people will abuse it. ... So I'm standing there at the front of the standby line after patiently waiting 2 hours in line. And I watch a cheater in one of the short lines lie their way onto the attraction, just because the CM (and the park managment, by proxy) doesn't want to see a tantrum. Thanks, Disney, that really makes me feel wonderful, that you gave preferential treatment to a cheater... ... actually it lowers the park's stature, in my opinion. If instead they refused to coddle the cheater, and just let them throw their little tantrum, the park's stature would be higher, again in my opinion. It would mean they treat all guests according to the same rules and do not favor one guest over another. And that is a much higher standard, a higher goal to aspire to, than the goal of merely trying to prevent tantrums.

Perhaps what we should do is start complaining when we witness a CM give in to a cheater. That way, the CM will be written up for doing something wrong.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    Perhaps what we should do is start complaining when we witness a CM give in to a cheater. That way, the CM will be written up for doing something wrong.
    Or instead of dragging an innocent into it.. just complain about the cheaters period at City Hall.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast