Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

Should Disney be more strict about enforcing rules?

This is not a Fast Pass argument thread. I am not talking about enforcing return times, as that is not against the rules.

I am talking about enforcing rules. For example when I logged on to my Facebook I saw a friend posted this: "My cousins and I skipped a 2 hour line at Disneyland and got on the ride in 5 minutes because we went through the disabled people line on accident LOL..."

So, they did not have a disabled pass, I think they should have been told to go back around not let on, even though they went in the wrong line on accident. I don't even know how you do that by accident. Maybe RSR is different and that is what they did.
    But what I am saying is Disney will do this a lot, they will let people off they hook so easily if all they do is play dumb. I don't think thats fair to everyone else. The rules should be the rules and only in cases with extenuating circumstances should they be overlooked. Just because someone didn't know doesn't mean they should be able to inconvenience others, like increasing wait times for those waiting two hours in the standby or in the FP line, or those who are actually in the disabled line. They should be told hey you can't do this, please go back out and wait like everyone else. Just like in the real world, when it comes to laws, ignorance is no excuse.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• "What? What?"

Re: Should Disney be more strict about enforcing rules?

Yes. They really need to. I think it's too hard to do though. Disneyland is sued more then any other theme park. People can always turn rules being enforced into some type of discrimination or something along those lines.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

• MaliBOOMer

Well the problem is yes they are sued, but they settle out of court. If they started fighting a few cases, which they could do and easily win. Then people might be less inclined to waist a bunch of money to just lose. Look Rules are the rules, a jury/ judge would understand that.

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Well the problem is yes they are sued, but they settle out of court. If they started fighting a few cases, which they could do and easily win. Then people might be less inclined to waist a bunch of money to just lose. Look Rules are the rules, a jury/ judge would understand that.
    I agree... but I don't think it'll ever happen. I think it's still worth the price tag (to them) to pay the people off and avoid TMZ and the press. I kinda wish the thought process you outlined would be adopted by the rest of our county. Stop letting people get away with this stuff.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    I agree... but I don't think it'll ever happen. I think it's still worth the price tag (to them) to pay the people off and avoid TMZ and the press. I kinda wish the thought process you outlined would be adopted by the rest of our county. Stop letting people get away with this stuff.
    I wonder how things are in the parks located less sue happy countries? Is Tokyo the same way? Or do people there tend to just be aware of rules and this problem doesn't exist.

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    I wonder how things are in the parks located less sue happy countries? Is Tokyo the same way? Or do people there tend to just be aware of rules and this problem doesn't exist.
    Not being American, they probably respect rules and laws and abide by them. They don't have this false entitlement we all have.

I'm honestly a little stunned that someone could sue a theme park for not allowing them to use the disabled line when they aren't disabled. Seems pretty clear to me? How could a case like that even be allowed in court in the first place???
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
    I'm honestly a little stunned that someone could sue a theme park for not allowing them to use the disabled line when they aren't disabled. Seems pretty clear to me? How could a case like that even be allowed in court in the first place???
    Ever seen the show "Only in America"

Ok to be fair no body to my knowledge has tried to sue for that yet. However if you look up reasons for people trying to sue Disney. You will be shocked.

•   
    • Minion

I think there's a way to strike a balance without becoming drill sergeants or bringing down the mood of the park. There are always guests with legitimate concerns that need to be accommodated, and it can be hard to tell the difference between them and the charlatans, but it can be done.

The problem is that when Disney accommodates the people who deliberately game the system or throw public tantrums, they inconvenience and often annoy or anger other guests who ARE playing by the rules.

Whose business do you want to keep? If it were me, I'd want to keep the latter, not the former.

With some things, like abuse of the different lines, having a CM or two as gatekeepers at the entrance does a world of good. It's easier to tell someone "I'm sorry, but this line is only for those with GACs or wheelchairs" before they enter the line than it is to try to send them back when they reach the front of the disabled cue and plead ignorance. Will people still get annoyed? Sure, but it might cut down on some of the abuse.

• Senior Minion

It's difficult to see how Disney's frontline employees can be tasked with enforcing rules on rude guests, in anything other than major violations of safety or security, when Disney management is notorious for throwing its Cast Members under the bus and siding with the guests.

It's even less likely to happen when you consider the non-training in guest communication and conflict resolution that Disney provides its Cast Members:

As an Attractions Cast Member and Attraction Trainer who has been to every generally worthless class the Disney University offers, and as someone who knows quite well how the Disney University works and what their curricula is currently and has been for the last decade, I can tell you that there is absolutely no training given whatsoever to any hourly Operations Cast Member on how to handle a physically unruly or abusive guest.

There is not even any training given on how to handle a verbally abusive guest, aside from writing them out a Re-Ad or issuing them a ticket for a free churro.

If anything has ever been mentioned about dealing with a physically unruly guest, it is "Do not touch them, and call your leader or Central Communications via park phone or radio for further instructions". But even that level of training is contained on about Page 74 in black and white text, somewhere between instructions to remain calm and await instructions from your leader after an earthquake and instructions to remain calm and await instructions from your leader if the park has to be evacuated due to national emergency or civil disorder.

There is absolutely no official Disney training on this type of scenario for hourly Cast Members. Heck, they don't even offer training nowadays on how to be polite to perfectly nice tourists, let alone how to be not polite to a brawling drunk guy.

There is, however, official training on how to lift a box without straining your back and generating a workers comp claim. There is also training on how to not sexually harrass your coworkers and generate lawsuits from offended coworkers.
    ...people still seem to think that CM's are actually trained on how to be "nice" to people, or given basic expectations of politeness, or taught tactics and nuances of providing good customer service. No such training exists in any meaningful way.

...The training materials and techniques belched out by the bloated and pathetic "Disney University" training department in 2012 are worthless, and do absolutely nothing to set forth any sort of customer service standard CM's should live up to, let alone actually teach 18 year old Joe from Monrovia, CA how to handle any specific customer service situation.

The first day of Traditions, and the second day of Welcome To Park Operations touches briefly on customer service. But it does so in such a bland, corporate-speak, TDA-cubicle created way that it is practically meaningless. And God forbid you actually lay out the concept of actual standards that someone would live up to! That is too advanced for TDA's Disney University group, and they are busy sitting in TDA far removed from the actual operation of the park to even consider such a silly thing.

I find it humorous that people are confronted by poor customer service and then expect that there is still some sort of training program that would have prevented it had the CM in question only been paying attention. There is no such training. The times you receive good customer service by a front line host or hostess is due more in part to the upbringing that CM received from their parents, and/or perhaps a particularly good Lead who is supervising that location and leading great performances.

...The times you get bad customer service is more the fault of Disney University, but only because they don't really do anything to try and correct it from the starting point of OJT.
    For Disney employees to consistently enforce the rules, Disney upper management would have to completely revise the "least cost/least effort" paradigm that has informed their training procedures for more than two decades.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-23-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by ArchimedesWhatWhat View Post
    According to the Mouse Tales book, this is exactly what they do. They don't settle unless they know they will lose (i.e. the Columbia accident), otherwise they will go to court if they have to.

• Long live the Fire Lord

They need to allow the CM's to use their common sense/judgement, without being afraid of getting fired or reprimanded. My wife (while she had her cane) has been told she can't use the elevator because it's only for the disabled. There are many situations like that where they think they will get in trouble, yet the opposite is sometimes true where people will complain loudly enough that they think they will get in trouble if they don't bend the rules.
    "What single word is the name of a magazine, a cereal, a board game, and a never-ending series of soul-crushing disappointments which slowly leech away your hope and idealism until you are nothing more than a bitter husk of a man?"

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybirdman View Post
    They need to allow the CM's to use their common sense/judgement, without being afraid of getting fired or reprimanded. My wife (while she had her cane) has been told she can't use the elevator because it's only for the disabled. There are many situations like that where they think they will get in trouble, yet the opposite is sometimes true where people will complain loudly enough that they think they will get in trouble if they don't bend the rules.
    Exactly!

Some things should be re-enforced. Yeah, if you get in the disabled line, someone should send you to the back. You might be kinda mad for a while, but you won't be as mad as the people that had to wait 2 more hours than you did because they followed the rules.
    Isn't there usually a cast memeber at the begining of a line? Or don't you usually need a pass (the disabled person pass thingamajig)? What happened to that?

• Minion

Yes, they should be very strict. It's their property and they should set the rules and enforce the rules. Not enforcing the rules makes them look like a cheesy, cheap, low-budget, third-rate park that doesn't care.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast