Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Know More Than You Should

Sad Disneyland Closed...REALLY Closed...for Admission. 12/30

Just got back from DL, well, DLR that is. So we got there at about 12:30. As we pulled up to the parking structure, a large sign (the type they use to warn you of construction work on the freeway) informed us that Disneyland was full.

Then, as we pulled up to the Parking Lot booth, the signs there informed us, again, that Disneyland was full:

Sorry it's kinda hard to read; it says 'We're Sorry...the Disneyland Park is Full."

Here's a digitized version of the above sign:

Now being the MiceAge and MiceChatter that I am, I wasn't suprised at this. After all, this was the day before New Years Eve and of course the park would close at some point due to the crouds. But, I figured, surely it would open in a few hours, right?

Not exactly.

So, as we payed for parking, before asking us for our $10, the parking attendant warned us, again, Disneyland was full and we could not get in. They were really trying to make sure that people knew. I have experienced, in line at Guest Relations, many guests yelling at the CMs there that a sign had not been posted saying Disneyland was closed for admission. This time they were clearly avoiding that one. (Though the complaints must have been horrible).

Now, once in the Esplanade, the folks at Guest Services said that Disneyland was yes, closed for admission, and would not be open again until- and this threw me- 10:00PM. I mean, this was 12:00, they were closing Disneyland for TEN HOURS? Yes, indeed.

So after lunch in Downtown Disney we bought our tickets, these were the 1 day, 1 park tickets one usually buys for a 1 day trip, but closer examination revealed they were not the usual 1 day pass:

If you read that closely, you'll see that it's a one day ticket that's ONLY valid for Disney's California Adventure, that is, until 10:00PM today. Now, this doesn't mean one has to wait until 10:00 to use the ticket. I was told by the CM as I entered DCA that with a handstamp, I could enter Disneyland- after 10:00PM.

At DCA, they actually announced that there would be an extra 11:30 showing of Fantasmic!. I found this interesting, but, afterall, we could go to DL after 10, and DCA closes at 10 anyway.

So here I sit- at home, with Disneyland 60 miles away. With my ticket, valid for Disneyland entry in a half an hour, and my handstamp. *sigh* [smilie=1,4,5]

Oh, the one silver lining to this is that I got to go on Monsters Inc: Mike and Sulley to the Rescue. Not bad! DCA is certainly on the right track.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: Disneyland Closed...REALLY Closed...for Admission. 12/30

awww. my sympthies!

I can't imagine the sadness of being that close and not being able to go in.

Ah yes, well, we must look on the bright side!

Well- I'll certainly be back soon, oh, and my CD from the Extinct Attractions Club came in today!

I really feel sad for the poor Guest Relations CMs- they must have taken a beating in customer complaints.

• Man O Lantern

Oh my goodness!! I can't believe that! $56? That's craziness!!

I'm so sorry!!

Indeed. I wonder what Al will have to say about this. After all, Disneyland closing its gates for 10 hours is a big deal. Right?

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

WOW!!!

I've been there before when they've closed the gates but only for a few hours, never 10. That's just crazy!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Wink Re: Disneyland Closed...REALLY Closed...for Admission. 12/30

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33
    Indeed. I wonder what Al will have to say about this. After all, Disneyland closing its gates for 10 hours is a big deal. Right?
    Honestly, I hate to be a complete ***... but who cares what Al says about this? I mean, what is he going to say? "OMG WTFBBQ they should let people in before that, even if it's completely packed!!1?!11!one!" Heh heh. 8:)

I've talked with plenty of folks today and while I feel bad for them, I can't imagine folks actually thinking that Disneyland would be "slow" on a major holiday. I've told everyone I sold tickets to today that mentioned that they wanted to go tomorrow that it'll be; #1 extremely busy and #2 that they should try to get into Disneyland as early as possible otherwise the later they go the greater the chance that they'll get shut out and they'll only have DCA as an option for them.

Doesn't help that as it got closer to New Year's Eve, attendance might actually still be going up as the day goes on... even though they restrict entry access to Disneyland early in the day.

Why is that, you might ask? Well, when they first close the gates they only restrict access to Disneyland to Guests with single-day tickets and they also stop selling AP blockout tickets. As attendance goes up, they then start restricting access for more and more groups of folks... multi-day ticket holders (that aren't staying at a Resort hotel), AP holders that aren't blocked out, and in worse case scenarios... they start restricting re-entry Guests and Resort Hotel Guests. Cast Members are already blocked out, we can't even go tomorrow unless we buy a ticket.

Because Resort Hotel Guests and AP holders that aren't blocked out (as the case of this week, the Premiums) are still being allowed into the Park, as they are one of the last groups of folks to be finally be restricted out, attendance might actually creep up instead of decrease as the day goes on. This will definately be the case tomorrow when all the Premium Annual Passholders start arriving in the early afternoon/evening hours until they too get restricted out... if that even happens.

That's probably one of the main reasons why the gates stay close for so long, because it never drops down to the point where they can resume normal operation at the gate.

Most likely tomorrow they'll come to the point where they'll have to just restrict access to everyone and just send folks over to DCA. So if you get into Disneyland tomorrow plan on staying there the entire day and don't leave... because if you do you'll open the door for that small chance that you might not be able to go back in, even as a re-entry Guest.

Then again, it'll be interesting to see how the weather forecast will play into all of this.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 12-30-2005 at 10:22 PM.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Honestly, I hate to be a complete ***... but who cares what Al says about this? I mean, what is he going to say? "OMG WTFBBQ they should let people in before that, even if it's completely packed!!1?!11!one!"
    Don't get me wrong- I completely understand the reasoning behind closing the park, I don't blame anyone or anything. I just value Al's commentary and I'd be interested to hear his take on it, that's all.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Maybe this is Disneys little way of getting people into DCA Lol!!!

Blog Entries

I am actually pleased to hear this, hopefully this means that we will at least be able to get into DCA tomorrow night. My friend needs to buy a blackout ticket so we are worried.

Hopefully the rain will help us!

Well, allowing people in at 10:00 makes sense though, right after the mass exodus of the fireworks. Instead of being at capacity all day, and say a family of four leaves, and allowing the "next four" in the gate, which could create pushing and shoving and yelling at CM's and other guests, they have everyone at the same status of 10 pm, an almost guarenteed entry for those wanting to get in. I think it is a great idea, for them to let the people in this situation into DCA. It keeps them in a park, food, shopping, etc. I mean, its not hurting disney's budget, and it is a lot less compaints to be had at guest relations. I think it is a great alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    Well, allowing people in at 10:00 makes sense though, right after the mass exodus of the fireworks. Instead of being at capacity all day, and say a family of four leaves, and allowing the "next four" in the gate, which could create pushing and shoving and yelling at CM's and other guests, they have everyone at the same status of 10 pm, an almost guarenteed entry for those wanting to get in. I think it is a great idea, for them to let the people in this situation into DCA. It keeps them in a park, food, shopping, etc. I mean, its not hurting disney's budget, and it is a lot less compaints to be had at guest relations. I think it is a great alternative.
    Certainly! It makes perfect sense from a croud control perspective. Just a little disapointing for us hoping to get into Disneyland.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

In case you missed it, Al was quoted in the LA Times earlier this week...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lines-business

Disney also juiced its attendance with heavy spending on both coasts for its 50th-anniversary celebration. Disney, however, declined to comment on the attendance estimates except to confirm that the numbers were up.

"My guess is that Disneyland's numbers were even higher," said Al Lutz, who maintains the MiceAge fan website.

Crowds of 60,000 to 80,000 on some days have prompted Disney to put up signs directing visitors to the California Adventure park, which fronts Disneyland. That in turn, Lutz said, has pushed the smaller park's attendance figures higher.

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    In case you missed it, Al was quoted in the LA Times earlier this week...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...lines-business
    I know! I saw that.

• a pirate's life for me...

that sucks...

you think they'll be crowded next week? like, wednesday?
    everybody has a laughin' place...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast