Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    • Hooter!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    25

    Talking Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    My father hasn't been to Disneyland in 20 years or so, we decided it was once again time. Considering that I was in grade school at the time, my memory is a little spotty, so I was hoping you all could help me with a few questions. (We're only doing Disneyland, not DCA this time around.)

    1. What are some changes that would have occurred (i.e. show, rides, layout) from let's say 1992-1993 (we're a little fuzzy on the last time he went) to the current 2012 version?

    2. What are some little (hidden perhaps) gems I can share with him while we're there (we're goin in the next week)?
    Whether it be delicious food, awesome scenery, or lesser known tidbits are all great.

    Thank you so much everyone!

  2. #2

    • Please pull the yellowtab
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    637

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    I wish I could answer your question about changes in layout since 1992-1993, but unfortunately my first visit to DL was as a child during those very same years.

    A great 'hidden' gem is the addition of the new singing group Voices of Liberty. You can listen to them sing at the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln theater on Main Street USA. When everyone is seated before the lincoln show they sing these amazing medleys of patriotic songs. It also really fits in with the festive mood of July 4 coming up . Their performance times are listed on the slip of paper that you can pick up along with the park map at the entrance to DL.


    I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

  3. #3

    • Hooter!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    25

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Thanks for the advice! We'll be sure to check that out.

    Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen the Mr. Lincoln show ... I know it's there, but can't recall ever watching it... Now it's definitely on the to-do list :-)

  4. #4

    • Halloween 2011
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    547

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pfsjed View Post
    My father hasn't been to Disneyland in 20 years or so, we decided it was once again time. Considering that I was in grade school at the time, my memory is a little spotty, so I was hoping you all could help me with a few questions. (We're only doing Disneyland, not DCA this time around.)

    1. What are some changes that would have occurred (i.e. show, rides, layout) from let's say 1992-1993 (we're a little fuzzy on the last time he went) to the current 2012 version?

    2. What are some little (hidden perhaps) gems I can share with him while we're there (we're goin in the next week)?
    Whether it be delicious food, awesome scenery, or lesser known tidbits are all great.

    Thank you so much everyone!

    20 years is a pretty big timespan - so much has happened at Disneyland. For example, in that space of time Peoplemover was open, closed, Rocket Rods opened, closed, now there's just an empty track. Submarines were open, closed, remodeled and reopened as Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.
    1992 Fantasmic opened.
    1993 Toontown opened.
    Those references might help you pin down your Dad's last visit.
    You might want to check out this site with a timeline of events, openings and closures at the park Disneyland Timeline

  5. #5

    • Bring back the Keelboats!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lompoc, CA
    Posts
    2,391

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    The Park is still layed out the same with the Lands, but different rides have come and gone. We had the fun of taking two friends who hadn't been since around 1969.... It is basically the first time experience after decades of being away. Check out the maps of the Park and the new rides you haven't seen. What kinds of rides would your dad like? What kind of food? Any restrictions? Do a little ahead planning, but don't try to plan everything. One of the pleasures is discovering something new or exciting on your own! You also didn't mention ages (I'm not asking.... lol) but that needs to be taken into consideration if the parent is "advanced" in years.

    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!


    Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!


    Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    1845 Sugarcube Ln., Ponyville, Equestria
    Posts
    559

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    While at Disneyland here's a list of things I recommend you do (In no specific order);

    - Ask for a ride on the Lilly Belle. Do this at the Main Street Railroad Station right when you get into the park. Spots run out quickly.
    - While up at the station, ask to see if there are any Tender Rides available. If you have any questions, just ask them.
    - Make sure to bring some dimes. There's a music machine that uses dimes up in the station. It sits right across from the dime operated scale.
    (^ The top two are really special gems that I always do every time I visit. Really recommend both of them.)
    - Check out Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and the Disney Gallery that is adjacent.
    - Take a ride on the Horse Drawn Trolley up to the Castle
    - Listen to the Dapper Dans, Main Street Marching Band, or Firehouse Band if you have the time
    - Request a song from the Rag Time Pianist at the Coke Refreshment Corner
    - Attend the Flag Ceremony at Main Street at 4:30. It's a wonderful sight to see
    - Grab Fast Passes for Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, and Space Mountain as SOON as possible. Lines for both rides can reach up to 60+ minutes in the afternoon.
    - Before heading to Disneyland, be sure to print out this decoder and bring it with you onto Temple of the Forbidden Eye. It will help you translate the lettering located inside the queue. Not only is it fun to do, it will also pass the time.
    - When you're in the projector room, be sure to ask a cast member if you could see the Eeyore signage
    - While on the subject of printing, be sure to print out a Death Certificate and hand it to a Cast Member at the Haunted Mansion. Why? Because it's fun.
    - Grab a Mint Julep at the French Market, located near the Disneyland Railroad's New Orleans Square Station
    - Matterhorn, Autopia, and Submarine Voyages are things you must try.
    - When you're going to ride the monorail, when they open the gate, head straight to the very front of the loading platform. They will load you into the nose cab, but they will only allow 4 people at a time to ride up in the cab.

    The rest of the park is pretty hit and miss. As for trivia and other little tibits, you may want to check out Yesterland - Disneyland History & Other Disney Park History or Hidden Mickeys of Disney.
    Do you plan on doing California Adventure as well? I have a whole thing set up for over there too.

  7. #7

    • Hooter!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    25

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    20 years is a pretty big timespan - so much has happened at Disneyland. For example, in that space of time Peoplemover was open, closed, Rocket Rods opened, closed, now there's just an empty track. Submarines were open, closed, remodeled and reopened as Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.
    1992 Fantasmic opened.
    1993 Toontown opened.
    Those references might help you pin down your Dad's last visit.
    You might want to check out this site with a timeline of events, openings and closures at the park Disneyland Timeline
    What a great site, thank you! I've never come across this site?

    ---------- Post added 06-24-2012 at 07:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    The Park is still layed out the same with the Lands, but different rides have come and gone. We had the fun of taking two friends who hadn't been since around 1969.... It is basically the first time experience after decades of being away. Check out the maps of the Park and the new rides you haven't seen. What kinds of rides would your dad like? What kind of food? Any restrictions? Do a little ahead planning, but don't try to plan everything. One of the pleasures is discovering something new or exciting on your own! You also didn't mention ages (I'm not asking.... lol) but that needs to be taken into consideration if the parent is "advanced" in years.
    I can only imagine the joy that must have been. My father (early 50s) is amazingly excited with this trip; it is exactly as if he's never been before.

    I'm not really looking to plan the whole trip just getting an idea of a few changes. :-)

    ---------- Post added 06-24-2012 at 07:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    While at Disneyland here's a list of things I recommend you do (In no specific order);

    - Ask for a ride on the Lilly Belle. Do this at the Main Street Railroad Station right when you get into the park. Spots run out quickly.
    - While up at the station, ask to see if there are any Tender Rides available. If you have any questions, just ask them.
    - Make sure to bring some dimes. There's a music machine that uses dimes up in the station. It sits right across from the dime operated scale.
    (^ The top two are really special gems that I always do every time I visit. Really recommend both of them.)
    - Check out Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and the Disney Gallery that is adjacent.
    - Take a ride on the Horse Drawn Trolley up to the Castle
    - Listen to the Dapper Dans, Main Street Marching Band, or Firehouse Band if you have the time
    - Request a song from the Rag Time Pianist at the Coke Refreshment Corner
    - Attend the Flag Ceremony at Main Street at 4:30. It's a wonderful sight to see
    - Grab Fast Passes for Temple of the Forbidden Eye, Splash Mountain, Star Tours, and Space Mountain as SOON as possible. Lines for both rides can reach up to 60+ minutes in the afternoon.
    - Before heading to Disneyland, be sure to print out this decoder and bring it with you onto Temple of the Forbidden Eye. It will help you translate the lettering located inside the queue. Not only is it fun to do, it will also pass the time.
    - When you're in the projector room, be sure to ask a cast member if you could see the Eeyore signage
    - While on the subject of printing, be sure to print out a Death Certificate and hand it to a Cast Member at the Haunted Mansion. Why? Because it's fun.
    - Grab a Mint Julep at the French Market, located near the Disneyland Railroad's New Orleans Square Station
    - Matterhorn, Autopia, and Submarine Voyages are things you must try.
    - When you're going to ride the monorail, when they open the gate, head straight to the very front of the loading platform. They will load you into the nose cab, but they will only allow 4 people at a time to ride up in the cab.

    The rest of the park is pretty hit and miss. As for trivia and other little tibits, you may want to check out Yesterland - Disneyland History & Other Disney Park History or Hidden Mickeys of Disney.
    Do you plan on doing California Adventure as well? I have a whole thing set up for over there too.
    Wow, what a great outline! I just did a little research on the Lilly Belle, that looks absolutely amazing. That is definitely on our list now. Thats a perfect little gem that I wouldn't have known without this post :-)

    I would love to see your DCA list as well.

  8. #8

    • I am not a Krusty Krab
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Elsa's Snow Castle
    Posts
    1,102

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pfsjed View Post
    My father hasn't been to Disneyland in 20 years or so, we decided it was once again time. Considering that I was in grade school at the time, my memory is a little spotty, so I was hoping you all could help me with a few questions. (We're only doing Disneyland, not DCA this time around.)

    1. What are some changes that would have occurred (i.e. show, rides, layout) from let's say 1992-1993 (we're a little fuzzy on the last time he went) to the current 2012 version?

    2. What are some little (hidden perhaps) gems I can share with him while we're there (we're goin in the next week)?
    Whether it be delicious food, awesome scenery, or lesser known tidbits are all great.

    Thank you so much everyone!
    people mover is gone. star tours has changed, the castle is gold, jack sparrow is now in pirates, the keel boats are gone, so is the electrical parade, be sure to see the fireworks, and theres an area called toontown


    This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

    "You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    1845 Sugarcube Ln., Ponyville, Equestria
    Posts
    559

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Sorry it has taken me so long. Small trip to Disneyland. Couldn't resist! Doesn't matter anyways, I don't live that far from there and I'm an annual passholder.

    Anyways, While at Disneyland here's a list of things I recommend you do (In a sort-of specific order but it can really be done in any order, but I highly recommend that this order comes before the Disneyland order, but your order is the order you want to do it...order);

    (I will only cover Buena Vista Street, Hollywood Land, and Carsland. I haven't visited the rest enough to state an opinion on them. Sorry :c)

    - Grab Fast Passes for the Hollywood Tower Hotel and Radiator Springs Racers as SOON as you get in the park, especially for RSR. There is actually a line that forms to get to the machines and they run out very very quickly. I've gone by the machines for RSR mid-day and they were already empty.
    - As soon as you enter the park, head straight for Tower of Terror. If things go right, the wait time will be roughly 13 minutes (Boths times I went it was 13 even though the line was shorter than that. Gettit? 13...unlucky number...haunted hotel? Haha, very funny cast members)
    - You can either take the route to Carsland through A Bugs Land to take the side road, or just go straight through to reach the main entrance to Carsland. I recommend for the best effect, head through the front entrance and take in the full beauty of the town and the background's Cadillac Range. Remember to stay on the right, you're driving in America
    - Head straight to RSR and get into line. Single Riders 9At the moment) are filling up entire cars, so they grab 6 people from the SR line and use it to fill up the car. There is a slight chance you and your father may get separated, either by a row or an entire car. If you don't want to take the risk, take the regular line.
    - If you go on RSR later in the day, prepare to wait A LOT and prepare for breakdowns A LOT, and bring water. There is little shade to rest under, like the real desert.
    - If you can't stand country music, bring ear plugs or headphones. You'll need them to survive the winding queue that goes through Stanley's Oasis.
    - Some effects may not work on the ride. Projected mouths may appear faded and bounce around (Most prominent on Luigi), sounds inside the showroom bounce off the walls really easily, and some sounds may not even play at all.
    - If you're hungry, stop by Flo's V8. I always prefer the New York Strip Loin with the sides of corn and mashed potatoes with gravy on it, as well as their specialty vanilla shake and, if I could manage, the mud pie. If you're adventurous enough, you could try the Pork Loin as it comes with Coca Cola flavored BBQ sauce.
    - Did I mention the shake? The shakes are good man, especially the vanilla ones. It's thick and creamy, and they add candy balls on top, so when you're down to sucking up the final portions off the bottom of the cup, you suck up crunchy sweet candy balls of delicious goodness.
    - There are 2 wings where you can eat; the Cafe and the Medical Clinic. Both are highly themed and wonderful to sit in and look at. The cafe show's a bunch of records and tells the story of how Flo used to be a famous singer. The medical clinic features many in-cheek humor, such as posters displaying healthy combustion chambers, x-ray's of some of the resident's motors, eye charts, and many props lining the wall. However, the inside of both sections smell like tire rubber, whether to good or bad effect is your choice. If you can't stand it, just go outside on the patio or gas station tables.
    - 1950's Doo-wop songs play inside. If you're a fan of Doo-wop music, I really reccomend you stay indoors, if you can stand the rubber smell.
    - They serve breakfast from opening to 11, lunch from 11 to ?, and dinner from ? to closing.
    - Once you're done with ANYTHING Carsland related, you MUST head on over to the Blue Sky Cellar. It's located on the opposite end of the main entrance to Carsland. They still have props from the previous exhibit where they showcased the behind the scenes of Carsland. But the main highlight is the new exhibit where it shows a much more detailed look at Radiator Springs' history. They have fake props set around such as Cars photographs, event posters, newspapers, and certificates that all correspond to various Radiator Springs' residents, such as Sheriff, Filmore, Ramone, etc. My personal favorite has to either be Red's backstory or Sarge's.
    - They are also screening a special never-before-seen Cars Toons entiled 'Time Travel Mater', where we get to see Radiator Springs when it was just literally a spring and learn the history of how it became what it is today. I haven't seen it posted anywhere online, and to my knowledge, is the only place you can view the film at the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong. It has lot's of visual gags and a guest star that has a major role in it. No spoilers as to what they are though, and try not to spoil yourself hunting down the clip or reading up on it before you see it. After you watch the program, be sure to look at the other props in the room that tie in with the film you just watched. They're highly detailed and worth taking many pictures of before they're sent back into storage.
    - If you're a dark ride lover, a Little Mermaid Lover, or an Omnimover Ride Vehicle lover, ride Ariel's Undersea Adventure. I know I've ridden it plenty of times before because the ride is short and the line is short and the costumes the CM's wear are absolutely adorable, but I already made an entire thread dedicated to that sort of thing. (Ignore what I said about Carsland. That thread was done pre-Carsland visit and I based my assumptions on just one costume I saw in a preview picture.
    - Head to the Hollywood Tower Hotel through Carsland/A Bugs Land and ride the Red Car Trolley all the way up to the Buena Vista Street stop. Once you get off at the station, head to the end that faces towards the entrance/exit. You will find a newspaper rack there. Grab AS MANY NEWSPAPERS AS YOU CAN. You can take as many as you'd like. I already have a stack of about 30 and it's still growing. Issue 1 Vol 1 they all read. I'm hoping that once they go out of print they become collector's items. Issues will be released every month. June is Issue 1, July is Issue 2, etc. So you best grab issue 1 before they give out Issue 2. Collectors items! HOORAY!
    - Check out Elias & Co. to see if they still have any opening day T-shirts left. Those are the last in stock and they won't be reproduced. MORE COLLECTOR'S ITEMS! HOORAY!
    - If you see any of the street characters, talk to them. Ask for their story of how they got onto Buena Vista Street! I love talking with the Police Officer! He's so fun to talk to.
    - Ask a Cast Member what time the neon ceremony starts at Carsland. It's when they turn on all the neon signs to the tune 'Sh-Boom by The Chords' as done in the movie. It's a really impressive sight to see first time around.
    - If possible, ride RSR again at night. It's works out better that way.- Try to fit both parks into one day for your dad, because both are a sight not to be missed. Recommended you head on over to Disneyland, reserve a spot for the Lilly Belle, and grab fast passes for either park.

    You must choose, but choose wisely...



    PS: What day are you planning on going? I'd love to have a trip report with pictures and lot's and lot's and lot's of paragraphs when you come back.

    EDIT: Carsland should be sucking some of the crowd away from Disneyland from opening hours to 12:00. So if you're done with DCA before 12:00, head to Disneyland and enjoy lighter crowds.
    Last edited by Bongo; 06-26-2012 at 12:53 AM.

  10. #10

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,848

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Just a bit of warning. Avoid New Orleans Square at night! The crowds for Fantasmic get OUTRAGEOUS. Also, Main Street gets to be a bear as people crowd up waiting for the fireworks. They also shut down most of Fantasyland at night for the fireworks, until some time after the fireworks. ToonTown also closes at night.

    I just discovered Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and had an AWESOME time. They were a blast!

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    1845 Sugarcube Ln., Ponyville, Equestria
    Posts
    559

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Just a bit of warning. Avoid New Orleans Square at night! The crowds for Fantasmic get OUTRAGEOUS. Also, Main Street gets to be a bear as people crowd up waiting for the fireworks. They also shut down most of Fantasyland at night for the fireworks, until some time after the fireworks. ToonTown also closes at night.

    I just discovered Billy Hill and the Hillbillies, and had an AWESOME time. They were a blast!
    Actually, I always go to New Orleans Square during Fantasmic, although I always enter through the rail station and just keep on riding the Haunted Mansion. Super short lines there! Not sure about Pirates or Splash Mountain though.

    Oh, and avoid World of Color at all costs. The way you enter the show is confusing, time consuming, and crowded. I'd wait a year or two for it to die down.



    Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

  12. #12

    • Oh, I just LOVE your hat!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Parade Route!
    Posts
    294

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Sorry it has taken me so long. Small trip to Disneyland. Couldn't resist! Doesn't matter anyways, I don't live that far from there and I'm an annual passholder.

    Anyways, While at Disneyland here's a list of things I recommend you do (In a sort-of specific order but it can really be done in any order, but I highly recommend that this order comes before the Disneyland order, but your order is the order you want to do it...order);

    (I will only cover Buena Vista Street, Hollywood Land, and Carsland. I haven't visited the rest enough to state an opinion on them. Sorry :c)

    - Grab Fast Passes for the Hollywood Tower Hotel and Radiator Springs Racers as SOON as you get in the park, especially for RSR. There is actually a line that forms to get to the machines and they run out very very quickly. I've gone by the machines for RSR mid-day and they were already empty.
    - As soon as you enter the park, head straight for Tower of Terror. If things go right, the wait time will be roughly 13 minutes (Boths times I went it was 13 even though the line was shorter than that. Gettit? 13...unlucky number...haunted hotel? Haha, very funny cast members)
    - You can either take the route to Carsland through A Bugs Land to take the side road, or just go straight through to reach the main entrance to Carsland. I recommend for the best effect, head through the front entrance and take in the full beauty of the town and the background's Cadillac Range. Remember to stay on the right, you're driving in America
    - Head straight to RSR and get into line. Single Riders 9At the moment) are filling up entire cars, so they grab 6 people from the SR line and use it to fill up the car. There is a slight chance you and your father may get separated, either by a row or an entire car. If you don't want to take the risk, take the regular line.
    - If you go on RSR later in the day, prepare to wait A LOT and prepare for breakdowns A LOT, and bring water. There is little shade to rest under, like the real desert.
    - If you can't stand country music, bring ear plugs or headphones. You'll need them to survive the winding queue that goes through Stanley's Oasis.
    - Some effects may not work on the ride. Projected mouths may appear faded and bounce around (Most prominent on Luigi), sounds inside the showroom bounce off the walls really easily, and some sounds may not even play at all.
    - If you're hungry, stop by Flo's V8. I always prefer the New York Strip Loin with the sides of corn and mashed potatoes with gravy on it, as well as their specialty vanilla shake and, if I could manage, the mud pie. If you're adventurous enough, you could try the Pork Loin as it comes with Coca Cola flavored BBQ sauce.
    - Did I mention the shake? The shakes are good man, especially the vanilla ones. It's thick and creamy, and they add candy balls on top, so when you're down to sucking up the final portions off the bottom of the cup, you suck up crunchy sweet candy balls of delicious goodness.
    - There are 2 wings where you can eat; the Cafe and the Medical Clinic. Both are highly themed and wonderful to sit in and look at. The cafe show's a bunch of records and tells the story of how Flo used to be a famous singer. The medical clinic features many in-cheek humor, such as posters displaying healthy combustion chambers, x-ray's of some of the resident's motors, eye charts, and many props lining the wall. However, the inside of both sections smell like tire rubber, whether to good or bad effect is your choice. If you can't stand it, just go outside on the patio or gas station tables.
    - 1950's Doo-wop songs play inside. If you're a fan of Doo-wop music, I really reccomend you stay indoors, if you can stand the rubber smell.
    - They serve breakfast from opening to 11, lunch from 11 to ?, and dinner from ? to closing.
    - Once you're done with ANYTHING Carsland related, you MUST head on over to the Blue Sky Cellar. It's located on the opposite end of the main entrance to Carsland. They still have props from the previous exhibit where they showcased the behind the scenes of Carsland. But the main highlight is the new exhibit where it shows a much more detailed look at Radiator Springs' history. They have fake props set around such as Cars photographs, event posters, newspapers, and certificates that all correspond to various Radiator Springs' residents, such as Sheriff, Filmore, Ramone, etc. My personal favorite has to either be Red's backstory or Sarge's.
    - They are also screening a special never-before-seen Cars Toons entiled 'Time Travel Mater', where we get to see Radiator Springs when it was just literally a spring and learn the history of how it became what it is today. I haven't seen it posted anywhere online, and to my knowledge, is the only place you can view the film at the moment. Correct me if I'm wrong. It has lot's of visual gags and a guest star that has a major role in it. No spoilers as to what they are though, and try not to spoil yourself hunting down the clip or reading up on it before you see it. After you watch the program, be sure to look at the other props in the room that tie in with the film you just watched. They're highly detailed and worth taking many pictures of before they're sent back into storage.
    - If you're a dark ride lover, a Little Mermaid Lover, or an Omnimover Ride Vehicle lover, ride Ariel's Undersea Adventure. I know I've ridden it plenty of times before because the ride is short and the line is short and the costumes the CM's wear are absolutely adorable, but I already made an entire thread dedicated to that sort of thing. (Ignore what I said about Carsland. That thread was done pre-Carsland visit and I based my assumptions on just one costume I saw in a preview picture.
    - Head to the Hollywood Tower Hotel through Carsland/A Bugs Land and ride the Red Car Trolley all the way up to the Buena Vista Street stop. Once you get off at the station, head to the end that faces towards the entrance/exit. You will find a newspaper rack there. Grab AS MANY NEWSPAPERS AS YOU CAN. You can take as many as you'd like. I already have a stack of about 30 and it's still growing. Issue 1 Vol 1 they all read. I'm hoping that once they go out of print they become collector's items. Issues will be released every month. June is Issue 1, July is Issue 2, etc. So you best grab issue 1 before they give out Issue 2. Collectors items! HOORAY!
    - Check out Elias & Co. to see if they still have any opening day T-shirts left. Those are the last in stock and they won't be reproduced. MORE COLLECTOR'S ITEMS! HOORAY!
    - If you see any of the street characters, talk to them. Ask for their story of how they got onto Buena Vista Street! I love talking with the Police Officer! He's so fun to talk to.
    - Ask a Cast Member what time the neon ceremony starts at Carsland. It's when they turn on all the neon signs to the tune 'Sh-Boom by The Chords' as done in the movie. It's a really impressive sight to see first time around.
    - If possible, ride RSR again at night. It's works out better that way.- Try to fit both parks into one day for your dad, because both are a sight not to be missed. Recommended you head on over to Disneyland, reserve a spot for the Lilly Belle, and grab fast passes for either park.
    lol He said no DCA this time around. Only Disneyland... Good tips though!
    Because Bert Said So!

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    1845 Sugarcube Ln., Ponyville, Equestria
    Posts
    559

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pfsjed View Post



    Wow, what a great outline! I just did a little research on the Lilly Belle, that looks absolutely amazing. That is definitely on our list now. Thats a perfect little gem that I wouldn't have known without this post :-)

    I would love to see your DCA list as well.
    Well he DID say he'd like to see the list, so I said why not!



    Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

  14. #14

    • Blew By You
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, United States
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    YouTube would be a helpful tool to check out the newer against the older.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    1845 Sugarcube Ln., Ponyville, Equestria
    Posts
    559

    Re: Taking my dad to Disneyland for the first time in 20 years...

    That is, unless you don't want to spoil yourself. It's like me. At a certain point I stopped looking at Carsland updates and didn't watch the AP preview videos so I get that bigger 'WOW' factor by not spoiling the surprise for me. I wholeheartily don't regret that. So if you don't want to spoil the surprise for you or your dad, stay away from YouTube or any other places that might have spoilers.



    Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Taking someone to Disneyland for the first time...?
    By Cha in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 08:00 AM
  2. [Other] Disneyland for the first time in 3 years
    By Athlonacon in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 07:50 PM
  3. Taking some one to disneyland for the first time
    By CKRDisneylovers in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2006, 11:47 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •