Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Does anyone prefer the new Matterhorn bobsleds?

All I want to know is do someone know why padding wasnt included in the news sleds? I mean I dont get it, it seems about as common sense as adding the seatbelts ESPECIALLY with it being so bumpy in the first place. If this was Space Mountain or Screamin, ok! But the bumpiest attraction in the resort and no padding? Who tested this thing and thought it felt fine? I rode it once and was praying for death by the time it ended!

I love everything about them except the riding position/lack of padding. The way you sit has your legs level to your butt, putting all your weight on the relatively tiny area of your tail bone. The sleds are a lot smoother but unfortunately you feel the slightest bump a million times more. They really need some better padding...or a higher seat.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Shifting cargo

Personally, I like the new sleds better. There's not as much room for your legs and whole body for that matter to slide around everywhere because you have so much open space if you don't lap sit. I also like the handles on the top of the head rest of the seat in front of you. I do however wish that there was soft padding where your knees rest on the insides of the car.

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

I rode both sides twice on Sunday and I like the new sleds. I am 6' 250lbs and I fit in fine, but it does take some effert to get in and out. I had the middle and end seat each time. There IS paddding right where your knees hit the edge of the sled. The Fantasyland side is smooth and there are not that many bumps. The TL side is bumpy, rough and you will be knocked around a bit.
    By the way, I used the single rider line and had no wait whatsoever, so I rode 4 times in a row. I would say if you are in good medical heatlh and get a little exercise now and then, you will be fine. But if you are out of shape, and have trouble moving and bending your arms and legs, stay away!

I fit fine and quite honestly, was more cramped for leg space on Space Mountain's front seats. My issues...far tougher on my rear end and really felt slower and rougher than before. My wife and daughters said the same thing unsolicited.

Saw a few people getting off looking like they were in a bit of discomfort (rubbing their rear, arms hurting, etc.). Overall, while the sleds look cool it's not an improvement in my book.

• ******** Gold Member

It felt like a knife went into my right knee when I got into seat #2. Was it the limited leg space? Rough ride on the Tomorrowland side, which was painful to my lower & upper back, so I too just wanted the ride to END and have no reason to ride it again!!! Difficult to climb out too.

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 01:07 PM ----------

[QUOTE=2ndStar2theRight;1056791962]The foot cubbies do require some negotiation, but I attribute it to my own unfamiliarity with the new sled and not a design fault.QUOTE]

It is poor design if it's not user friendly.

• hogwarts + disneyland = ♥

OLD SLEDS!

The new sleds go MUCH slower than the old ones!! Like unbelievably slow. Has no one else noticed?!

I also find the ride to be a lot bumpier. The FL side used to be a completely smooth ride, but now i'm just being thrashed around...at a slow speed at that.

Slower AND bumpier...not exactly an improvement.

Then as everyone else has mentioned, there is NO padding; and if you sit anywhere but the front seat of a car, you are essentially sitting on the ground.

I'm surprised this is the car design that won out. With bumpiness being a big concern from the old sleds, I was definitely expecting more cushion. Instead, I got no cushion, and then unexpectedly lost the speed element went racing down the Matterhorn.

I'm really sad that one of my favorite rides is now a ride I will likely only go on if there is only a short wait.

flower gleam & glow...

Ok so sounds like human engineering wasn't a factor with these cars..so how hopeful are we that they might fix or even replace them, though the latter is probably unthinkable for now.

I was hoping to take my mom this fall. She wouldn't go on it before so I was hoping these new sleds would be better for her..but sounds like she won't thank me once I drag her on one only to find out she was miserable afterward..bummers for me..unless I ahem forget to mention the bad seating factor.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    This is the only reason I prefer the old sleds. :x
    you and i both

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Johnny and Me!

I rode again on Sunday, and it will probably be the last time for me, unfortunately. The way your legs are essentially locked in makes for a very uncomfortable, I will go so far as to say, painful ride. Once I disembarked, it felt like my hips were twisted around in their sockets, and it took a while before they "straightened out". Also, you literally have to hold your body weight off the back of the seat lest you get bashed about in it!

The Matterhorn was one of my all-time favorites, but now in my opinion this ride has been ruined, and I hope that some changes will be made.

I finally got to ride them for the first time today and it was a major disappointment.

They are cramped. I can deal with that but the position you end up sitting in them places more of your weight on your tailbone and lower back making what was already a bumpy ride feel bone jarring. You also end up with your knees/legs slamming against the sides of the sled throughout the ride. Ouch. We went to Small World afterwards and another group heard us talking about the new sleds and they said they rode them too and hated them.

The new sleds look great and I can understand that they had to do something along the lines of the locking seatbelts but it seems like they messed up what used to be a really good ride.

It's also kind of ironic that they are talking about "Let the Memories Begin" while they are taking away what REALLY made the Matterhorn special, the tandem rides with a date or parent/child. I guess for a lot of folks riding the Bobsleds WILL be just a memory now.

You can keep any increase in riders per hour, I'd rather have the old sleds any day.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by kburford View Post
    OLD SLEDS!

The new sleds go MUCH slower than the old ones!! Like unbelievably slow. Has no one else noticed?!

I also find the ride to be a lot bumpier. The FL side used to be a completely smooth ride, but now i'm just being thrashed around...at a slow speed at that.

Slower AND bumpier...not exactly an improvement.
    I could care less about the bumpiness, but if they are slower!?!?! I saw the video and they looked incredibly slower. That is NOT OK!! Why the hell would they ever make it slower!? I do not understand why that is a good idea? What are they thinking!?

EDIT: So I went on youtube and did a little timing, from when the sleds release to after the splash down on the tomorrowland side the ride is in fact over 5 seconds slower with the new Bobsleds. Same story with Fantasyland, my timing averages to 5.1 seconds slower with the new bobsleds.
    Last edited by Quentin; 06-28-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• The Pumpkin King

WoW, what a bummer man, people's all time favorite ride is now turning them away from it.

• Blew By You

The new sleds were not bad for me. I do like the single rider configuration better. I also got a bit motion sickness for some reason; this has never happened before on the Matterhorn. It wasn't a bad sick, but certainly registered in my mind and stomach.
    Now, if cramp quarters is what you're looking for, go over to Goofy Sky School.

I rode them yesterday and they feel just as cramped to me in as they always have. I am only 5'8" and the leg room was pretty tight. The seats could use some more padding as well! I will say that instead of waiting in line my boyfriend and I opted to go to the single rider line. We were there for 2 days and the line was pretty long both days. We didn't care about riding together for the few short minutes, since really your not sitting next to the person anyway. We walked right on and didn't wait at all. The single rider option is the way to go!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast