Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Please pull the yellowtab

Re: Does anyone prefer the new Matterhorn bobsleds?

Hmm... I'll give the new sleds one more shot. A lot of the opinions here claim the new sleds are uncomfortable. I'm 5'6" and 120 pounds, and I felt the sleds were fine. Honestly, the old sleds were rough too. I remember being thrown around quite a bit' and I have left Matterhorn with a headache on the old sleds; so it's hard for me to say whether the new sleds or the old sleds are definitively better. It would be a dream if they had updated the sleds to run as smooth as California Screamin' but that would take all the fun out of Matterhorn which throws you around.
    Last edited by 2ndStar2theRight; 06-29-2012 at 08:07 PM.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

I love the Matterhorn. The new sleds, while pretty, are unreasonably uncomfortable and cramped.

We rode the TL side yesterday & were very disappointed. Morticia has coined its new name "The Materhorn." The sleds are very uncomfortable & I found myself trying to apply pressure with my feet to get off of my tailbone. Getting in or out of the sled is not a pleasant experience.
    More importantly, the premier attraction of Fantasy Land has been downgraded to a C ticket because it is lugubrious. Casey Junior is a better ride at this point. The redesign of the sleds has been botched. There are no two ways around it. Ridership of the Materhorn is going to slip appreciably in the near future & put more pressure on SM & BTRR.
    We had been looking forward to the new & improved version for six months & this is what we got. It is a shame that all the time, money, & effort was put in to get a result this poor.

Hmmm.. this has me a little concerned, and I think my instincts are correct.... my boyfriend has been having some pretty bad back problems (low back) and although he's resting a lot and should be better by the time we take our trip in 3 weeks, of all the rides this sounds like the one that might hurt him. Low back problems, and he's a 6'2" tall guy.... should he avoid this one?
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
    Hmmm.. this has me a little concerned, and I think my instincts are correct.... my boyfriend has been having some pretty bad back problems (low back) and although he's resting a lot and should be better by the time we take our trip in 3 weeks, of all the rides this sounds like the one that might hurt him. Low back problems, and he's a 6'2" tall guy.... should he avoid this one?
    The seats are not comfortable for me at all (well short of 6') & I have some lumbar issues. The old sleds did not cause me any problems. The new sleds were uncomfortable for me as soon as I got in. The sleds weren't even moving & I was trying to find a way to sit that wasn't hurting. With all that being said, I would endure a few minutes of discomfort for an attraction like the historical 'Horn. That is a male thing. Add the discomfort to a ride that is just plain bland, it isn't worth riding, especially if you have a disk that wants a divorce.

• Johnny and Me!

I agree with you, Gomez. If you have any back or hip problems I would avoid it. It's a shame, really.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
    YES.

I have no back issues whatsoever and I felt like the ride couldn't end soon enough in those new sleds. His height combined with his already existing discomfort is a recipe for a bad day.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Merry 2014!

Looks to me like the designers were going for a more authentic bobsled seating position not taking into account that the only people who ride real bobsleds are athletes.

Un-tethering the sleds might help the jarring some since the track was originally designed with single sleds and it would probably go faster too thus helping the rides per hour. Umm, now that I think about it, maybe not. But I never minded the Matterhorn wait as it never seemed that long.

So, if you have hieght, weight, knee, hip, and back issues stay away huh? Wow, that line is gonna be short and young.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

I'm 6'4" 200 lbs and I have rode it 8 times now , it's little tighter for me in the front but I can handle it just fine but I agree we could use a little more padding , other than that ... Love it!
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    YES.

I have no back issues whatsoever and I felt like the ride couldn't end soon enough in those new sleds. His height combined with his already existing discomfort is a recipe for a bad day.
    Thanks for the advice (same to others who answered). That's really too bad. His back problem has acted up enough that for around a week he was strictly in bed, and is just now able to spend time out on the couch and whatnot. Making fast improvement according to his doctor but I don't want to make him rest up for the trip just to hurt himself while we're there! I've warned him and he said he might be willing to try it on the last day. Last ride of the last day perhaps? At least he's a trooper!

Although I must say I'm not too disappointed myself, because even though I had been to the parks twice (when I was 6 and 11) I've never actually ridden the Matterhorn, so there's no sentimental value there for me - although I was looking forward to trying it the first time. But if we can't, at least it won't be too heartbreaking to forgo it.
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Banned User

Will the CMs allow you to put a coat on the floor of the bobsled so you can sit on it throughout the ride? I'm a short guy, so obviously the tailbone abuse might be my only concern here.

I'd sure like to know WTF they were thinking when they approved this new design??

5'8" 190 here, didn't enjoy the ride at all. Felt much jerkier than before, and was majorly disappointed that the snowflake projection was really no better, and I REALLY hate that the basketball court area is still exposed above so we see the flourescent lights. What is that all about?
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Coming soon... For the comfort of our guests we are proud to offer a new line of collectable seat cushions for some of the more more bumpy attractions at our resort. Look for them at any retail location or kiosk around the resort.

Name:  disney-seat-cushion.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  11.6 KB

^^^To funny^^^ And probably true....
    Jennifer

• Batman with a Gun

Bel Air, California, United States, United States

5' 10" and 170 and it was a crowded mess.
    Rode it a while back but waited to give my opinion.

You have to be in the birthing position to get somewhat comfortable.
    The bar AND the belt are redundant.
    And it's laughably slower. On a full 6 person vehicle we slowed down on new hills in the ride we'd never seen before.
    My wife was cramped in the front and ended up shattering her sunglasses that she had put in the pouch in the front from all the shaking around. City Hall just shrugged.
    Plus the new strobe effect on the Yeti is going to cause a seizure soon. Red/blue flashing is pretty much the worst design you can do for anybody sensitive to that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast