Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Does anyone prefer the new Matterhorn bobsleds?

It's really sad to hear about the awful experiences people have had on the 'horn. I was so looking forward to riding it again, but now I think I've decided to cross it off my list.

Sure wonder what they were thinking with the new design. We can only hope that they'll re-tool the sled design again -- and this time, do it right!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    It's really sad to hear about the awful experiences people have had on the 'horn. I was so looking forward to riding it again, but now I think I've decided to cross it off my list.

Sure wonder what they were thinking with the new design. We can only hope that they'll re-tool the sled design again -- and this time, do it right!
    As much as it pains me to say this, the Matterhorn doesn't feel like the old Matterhorn I grew up with. The ride (and I mean the present ride experience and not the attraction here) is just not what it used to be. I'm 6'3, was sitting in the back and had my knees in my chin. Like another poster on here mentioned, it was like sitting on the floor, and there was not much padding (if any).

While some have said they find it smoother, I found it awfully rough....feeling every bump in the track. That probably has something to do with the seat, but whatever it was, I just wasn't impressed. I know a bobsled run is not supposed to be smooth, but this just wasn't good IMO.

In fact, my two friends said they'd probably pass on it in the future. And one of them said it used to be one of their favorites.

For me it was just too difficult to adjust and absorb the shock of the bumpiness for some reason, but since I've heard some say that the front seat is better, I might have to give it another chance. Maybe someone has other suggestions as well?

I know the old Bobsleds could be bumpy, and I did find a way to adjust myself so that it wasn't bad at all for me. I could focus on the fun. I just fear that the new seating configuration combined with my height makes this a possibly impossible task. Limited padded seating (on the floor of the vehicle practically) with a bumpy track....I just don't see how that can be alleviated.

As it stands now though, IMO, this new attraction vehicle was not an improvement.

---------- Post added 07-07-2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    All I want to know is do someone know why padding wasnt included in the news sleds? I mean I dont get it, it seems about as common sense as adding the seatbelts ESPECIALLY with it being so bumpy in the first place. If this was Space Mountain or Screamin, ok! But the bumpiest attraction in the resort and no padding? Who tested this thing and thought it felt fine? I rode it once and was praying for death by the time it ended!
    LOL. While I used to get on Matterhorn and want it to just keep on going and going....yesterday I was like, 'Okay, this can end at any time. I'm done.' Sorry to have to say that, but yes, the design of the seats isn't good.

• Disneyland Nut

Finally got to try the "improved" 'horn. What a HUGE disappointment. The Mr. and I were beyond uncomfortable and don't even bother trying to sit in the middle seat.

If you are a person of size, the ride will be one of the most uncomfortable things ever and your knees really are in your face. My tailbone hurt so much after this ride, I vow never to ride it again. The hubby is 6' and about 220 and hated every minute of it and he rarely complains. SAD!

This was one of my most favorite rides ever at DL and now I have to completely take it off the list. What a sad day. What were they thinking?! Terrible.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    ...has coined its new name "The Materhorn."
    Took me a second...

• curiouser and curiouser

I am really disheartened by all of these negative reviews. Did any of you complain to anyone about it? I t seems pretty serious when so many people vow never to go on the ride again

• Hukuna Matata!

I think it is kind of cramped, Very powerful, But they took away a great oppertunity to get close to your sweetie, or first date, I bet it was nice icebreaker, But its ok, Just cramped.

• Hello Dolly.

Maybe they should consider putting the old sleds back on the track until they can fix these new ones.

I'm sad to hear that the new Matterhorn isn't what it used to be, as this is my second favorite ride (after HM).

It was so uncomfortable. I went on it twice hoping it would get better..lol it didnt. Should have just left the old cars there.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    I am really disheartened by all of these negative reviews. Did any of you complain to anyone about it? I t seems pretty serious when so many people vow never to go on the ride again
    We've got better things to do with our Disney time than to go line up at City Hall & vent our spleens, bruised as they may have been. The powers that be aren't completely ignorant & should soon realize that they have another "John Carter" on their hands. If the click rate on the turnstiles plummet as I think they will, they should soon be certain that they have a problem. Guest complaints are one thing, solid evidence of reduced ridership is another.
    The questions are how can they fix it, when can they perform it, & will they do it. Another six month refurb would be very embarrassing. The fix would have to be a quick one. The other option is to turn a blind eye to the problem. Since we have evidence that they are willing to making alterations a'la The Little Mermaid, there is hope. There is also the possibility that the latest refurb has damaged the "Materhorn" beyond feasible repair. In other words, we may be stuck with it.
    The sleds are a debacle. It is beyond my comprehension that this design was approved. Long before the world of CAD, physical prototypes were built and tested. In one day of physical testing with an authentic cross section of people, this horrid sled design would have been scrapped. It is my supposition that this design was completely devised by CAD using data from some hypothetical dimensions of the average rider, approved by a cadre of liability lawyers & insurance types & then put directly into production. All that you have to do is sit in one of these torture devices to know it was not done with real people in mind.
    On top of all that, the attarction is too darned slooooowwwwwwwwwww.

After reading what others has said I was a bit nervous about these new bobselds... but I actually liked them. With the new SR we got to go on about 7-8 times over three days which we LOVED! Also got to experience an EVAC which was awesome... but I feel like the new sleds feel more like actual bobsledding would. I like how you put your feet into the holes, however the lack of padding is an issue. Also getting out can be a bit awkward. overall the aesthetic and real feel to these bobsled make them a marginal improvement over the old sled, but there are some shortcomings.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    Maybe they should consider putting the old sleds back on the track until they can fix these new ones.
    Maybe the best suggestion so far.

It is well known that Disney insiders read these boards. Surely they can't ignore the outpouring of nearly universal criticism for this huge mistake?

Im 6'2" and it wasn't bad all. Kinda werid getting your foot where it should be but other than that it was fine to be. Maybe because im used to being tall? On BTM I gotta cross my legs haha. I dont mind.

But yah I dont mind the new ones at all. fine with me.

• Sock Puppet

I LOVE THE NEW SLEDS!! ♥♥

they are so comfy!! and the ride is smooth, and i don't have a problem with them!

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by M3wThr33 View Post
    5' 10" and 170 and it was a crowded mess.
    Rode it a while back but waited to give my opinion.

You have to be in the birthing position to get somewhat comfortable.
    The bar AND the belt are redundant.
    And it's laughably slower. On a full 6 person vehicle we slowed down on new hills in the ride we'd never seen before.
    My wife was cramped in the front and ended up shattering her sunglasses that she had put in the pouch in the front from all the shaking around. City Hall just shrugged.
    Plus the new strobe effect on the Yeti is going to cause a seizure soon. Red/blue flashing is pretty much the worst design you can do for anybody sensitive to that.
    Even with your feet in the holes on the sides? I still don't understand what they were thinking making it slower! That ruins the ride!
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Rode in the new bobsleds this past week a couple times. I am 6ft 2 and not a rail thin kind of guy. I sat in the back both times but overall not really that bad. I have a harder time on Goofy Sky School and Winnie the Pooh than I have with leg room on this one. Its different, but not as bad as I was reading here. Now the jarring bumps on the other hand...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast