Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Dad and Daughter in Disneyland

It's never this easy to get her up for a day of school, but when we were leaving for 3 days in Disneyland, just the two of us, Mikayla was all ready to go without any complaints by 5:30 a.m.
    I guess our location was pretty good, since it was right across the street from this other hotel. Pitty we couldn't get reservations there!

It was June 20, and EVERYBODY was real excited to see the new Cars Land. Folks who stayed at a Disney hotel got in an hour early, at 7 a.m. At 6:30 the line in Grand Californian looked like this:

10 minutes later it was nearly double. We had to wait ANOTHER hour to get in. The nice lady at the gate wouldn't even fall for Mikayla's "puppy dog" face to let us in early.

But I did get to take my first un-walled photos of Buena Vista Street while we waited.

Once they let us in, I carried her so she wouldn't get lost or trampled in the herd, and we went straight for Radiator Springs Racers, along with about half the western hemisphere.
    We were even impressed with the beauty of the line.

We then slowed down to explore the rest of Cars Land.

Still feeling overwhelmed by the crowds of Cars Land, we headed over for the comparative slowness of Buena Vista Street.

I even got proof that I was there!

We really liked the street entertainment, like the streetcar newsie show.

Couldn't stay away from Cars Land for long, though.

The next day, we decided to start off a little more traditionally. First, we met an old friend.

Then we met a Disney legend.

Then I explained to Mikayla how they often travel in herds.

Later, after doing a whole bunch of the regular Disneyland stuff, we made a new friend.

Merida showed Mikayla how to use a bow and arrow.

She said hello to Dad. I had to tell her that for such a pretty girl, she really, REALLY needed a hairbrush.

And who are we kidding? It isn't a family place unless your seven-year-old gets to fire a weapon.

And for the record, those princesses aren't the only beautiful girls in Disneyland.

Explored some of my favorite parts of Disneyland.

But eventually Mikayla was a little tired.

Went back to DCA and Cars Land. Yes, we even liked this ride.

Had a nice dinner in the Hub, and didn't take any more photos that day.

But we did see World of Color for our first time.
    The next day we had to check out, so we drove to Toy Story Lot for the first time. On the bus, Mikayla pulled out a park map and started planning out our day.

This is how we liked to see New Orleans Square.

We even got logs on Splash Mountain that looked like this.

Looked for treasure on the island

And had the BEST visit with Donald ever.

It would be an exageration to say Disneyland was dead, but it was markedly uncrowded for the summer vacation with most of the APs not blacked out. Gotta love Cars Land!
    I made it a point to see the Voices of Liberty at Lincoln.

Even though she said she was bored, I caught Mikayla smiling. She did ask why they were singing the "Barney" song when they sang Yankee Doodle.
    Inspired by recent MiceChat threads, we had lunch in the Golden Horseshoe.

They even pulled Dad on stage to take part in the show. (I was the town drunk). Since I had the camera with me, this was the only photo I could get.

We explored the rest of the park until it was time to head back to Realityland.
    Last edited by sbk1234; 06-25-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Re: Dad and Daughter in Disneyland

Did you guys check out the Blue Sky Cellar? If you didn't, I think she'd of loved it in there because they're playing a special Cars Toons that tied directly in with the new RSR

• formerly very helpful

Actually, we did. It was a very nice place to take a quiet break.

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

Great pics! Looked like a fun trip for you both! Can't believe you met Chef Oscar!!!
    Because Bert Said So!

• I'm wishing

Very sweet report...father daughter fun times are so important! What did you guys think of Radiator Springs Racers and how was your wait first thing in the morning?

• formerly very helpful

I was really thrilled to meet Chef Oscar. I don't think Mikayla got what a big deal it is for a Disneyland fanatic.
    We both LOVED RSR. The line was absurd! But a very nice couple we met in line got passes to get in for early entry, then they insisted on holding places for us with them. So we managed to avoid most of the line.
    Later, since it dawned on me that Mikayla is now 7, and old enough to ride alone, we used single rider line. Yes, the cast members said it was okay to do that, so we didn't think there was anything wrong with using it.

• world class bilge rat

Excellent TR!!

Looks like you guys had too much fun.......

There's something about Dad and Daughter time that just can't be explained; it has to be experienced.

My wife passed away in June of 2005, our daughter was 11 at the time. In September, I decided to take her to DL. The last time she was there, she was in a stroller.

We had the time of our lives!! If I live to be 100, it'll stand out as one of the highlights of my life.

Since then, I've taken her and several of her friends to DL about a dozen times, but the first time is still the best memory I have.

Glad you were able to spend time with her at DL, she'll remember it for a long time! (And so will you....)

Rob

• formerly very helpful

I actually have 3 kids, and I like to spend one-on-one time with each of them as much as possible. For my girls and me, Disneyland has turned into OUR PLACE. My son isn't into Disneyland like we are. But he and I get to share other things together.

Super cute report!!! And i really like how you spend 1-on-1 time with them at a time!

• Tiki baba!

Great pictures and great caption! As for me, I hope to take my dad to Disneyland for the first time when we get reunited really soon after 10 years! Your post has kind of upped my excitement for this coming event

• formerly very helpful

It's nice to share with people who get it!

• Done with MC.

Rockin TR and your little girl is so cute. Enjoy her as much as you can, they don't stay that young very long!

Looks like you guys had an awesome time!

Thanks for sharing!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Thanks for the trip report and pictures! Some of my best Disneyland memories are with my dad when we had to go down to LA for my medical reasons in the late '60's. He would have to take me to Pasadena 4 times a year and we would make it a Disney trip - whether seeing two double-features of movies or going to Disneyland for the day before. He loved it as much as I did and I can still hear him laughing all the way through the Matterhorn.

Precious memories!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

this was so sweet. thank you for posting. i love all the other comments of peoples memories of their alone time with dad. just precious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast