Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48
  1. #31

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    I went on RSR 3 times and it progressively just gets worse, it reminds me of a more expensive and grand version of Monsters Inc.
    The exact opposite, for me. After riding it 3 times, I was only saddened that I couldn't squeeze in another go. There's so much to soak in, outside and inside the range.

  2. #32

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldDisney View Post
    Sorry dude, count me in as one of the people who definitely disagree with your assessment! For one thing, I LOVE Buzz! Do it nearly everytime I go and every Disney theme park worldwide since its in every resort! It still gets 1+ hour waits at TDR for example!
    Yet only manages to get 10-15 minute waits here in an extremely dense crowd over in that bottleneck called Tomorrowland.

    I agree about FNSV to an extent, but I found the original attraction pretty boring as well. I rode it mostly because it felt so campy and its still fun to ride through water, but I think the subs in general has had their day. But I doubt it has anything to do with Nemo the story and more to do with FNSV the ride. Its all about execution and in fact the Nemo ride in Epcot is still highly rated and considered more popular even though it cost a fraction of what FNSV did and a shorter ride basically proves that.
    How can you compare a 40+ year old attraction which received no upgrades and was left to rot in the 90's to a modern overlay with a 160 million dollar renovation behind it? If Submarine Voyage had been redone properly with its existing adult theme, the attraction would have lasted another 40 years and we wouldn't be hearing people constantly bash it; you don't hear these kind of comments coming out of 20,000 leagues under the sea in Tokyo do you? The fact remains that the childish concept and poor execution are the reasons for this attractions underwhelming performance.

    And its funny how you completely overlooked TSM, one of the most popular attractions in the whole resort which is VERY kid friendly and has no thrills to speak of unless you count the air it blows in your face lol. In fact its so popular at DHS, with hours of wait times, it easily beats ST there which IS a thrilling and adult type attraction, but gets 10 min waits vs TSM 1-2 hour waits there. Again, its less about the story and characters and ALL about execution and how repeatable it is, so again, cant agree with your basic assessment there.
    Toy Story Mania is a low capacity attraction which features a disorienting thrill aspect. It takes a video game concept which many of us can connect with and capitalizes on it. The queue is also very well done and has a million dollar barker animatronic to gain attention from people walking by. With that said, TSM by no means has proven itself as a long term attraction, it is still brand new. Until you can point to an attraction like this which has lasted 40 years your point is moot because Buzz had the same demand at the beginning, it just had more capacity to accommodate the crowds. If anything this attraction is even more susceptible to becoming dated because it relies so heavily on its technology, which as you all know is changing at the speed of light. Unless Disney continually updates the attraction, TSM will definitely lose momentum in the long run.

    As for CL and RSR, I have no idea what you been riding, but this thing is a HUGE hit! Most people consider it their top 5 ride in the resort. Not DCA, the resort. Its getting 3+ hour lines two weeks after it opened because word of mouth is that strong! How many other rides in the resort was getting 3+ hour rides daily for weeks? Whats even crazier is its that long basically all day long! I think its only fell to 80 mins on one day for an hour or so but everything I been hearing it goes from 150-240 mins on any given day! The only other ride I can think of with those crazy wait times the first few weeks is Indy, at least in my lifetime. And the fact people are comparing this ride to Indy proves its really a hit. Doesnt mean EVERYONE likes it but to say its not repeatable because its not repeatable for you is a bit absurd!

    I'm pretty sure 10 years from now both CL and RSR will still be pretty popular.
    Again, new attractions will always gain huge crowds no matter how poor the theme or execution. FNSV had 4 hour waits at the beginning and sustained lengthy queues for a whole year. The Disney brand by itself is what sells the attraction in the beginning, nothing more.

    Far as comparisons go, the polling thread that was created shows Indy pretty much in a tie despite the fact it's 17 years old, not in perfect working condition, and does not have the luxury of benefiting from the hype surrounding it as a new attraction. Pretty poor result if you ask me for something that cost twice as much to build.

    RSR vs. Indiana Jones - Merged
    Last edited by Seawolf; 06-27-2012 at 06:28 PM.

  3. #33

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    1,948

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Toy Story Mania is a low capacity attraction which features a disorienting thrill aspect going around turns.
    This was funny, thank you.

  4. #34

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,770

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    This was funny, thank you.
    It's true, TSM's vehicles whip around turns and quickly rotate to create a fun disorienting effect.

  5. #35

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Yet only manages to get 10-15 minute waits here in an extremely dense crowd over in that bottleneck called Tomorrowland.
    Dude its an omniveyor ride! How many people does it soak in per hour? Kind of funny when people mention HM and POTC has low waits, they quickly point to the system. But when its a ride they dont necessarily like, ala Buzz and TLM, suddenly that little fact is forgotten!

    And like I said, they built this ride at EVERY resort, 5 of them now and counting! Obviously its popular enough to keep putting it in, so I think to question its popularity is all relative at this point.



    How can you compare a 40+ year old attraction which received no upgrades and was left to rot in the 90's to a modern overlay with a 160 million dollar renovation behind it? If Submarine Voyage had been redone properly with its existing adult theme, the attraction would have lasted another 40 years and we wouldn't be hearing people constantly bash it; you don't hear these kind of comments coming out of 20,000 leagues under the sea in Tokyo do you? The fact remains that the childish concept and poor execution are the reasons for this attractions underwhelming performance.
    I just thought it was boring, outdated and dont miss it! I'm not COMPARING them, I'm just saying Im not a big fan of either of them. Obviously you disagree. And I love 20,000 Leagues at TDS, but its system is VERY different from the subs anyway.



    Toy Story Mania is a low capacity attraction which features a disorienting thrill aspect. It takes a video game concept which many of us can connect with and capitalizes on it. The queue is also very well done and has a million dollar barker animatronic to gain attention from people walking by. With that said, TSM by no means has proven itself as a long term attraction, it is still brand new. Until you can point to an attraction like this which has lasted 40 years your point is moot because Buzz had the same demand at the beginning, it just had more capacity to accommodate the crowds. If anything this attraction is even more susceptible to becoming dated because it relies so heavily on its technology, which as you all know is changing at the speed of light. Unless Disney continually updates the attraction, TSM will definitely lose momentum in the long run.
    So your basic criteria is any ride must last for 40 years to deem if its truly popular or not? Well then I guess we will see which one of us is right in 40 years if we are both still alive then!

    Dude, the problem with your arguments is its all based on assumptions and very odd conditions. I mean its hard to argue what is going to be popular a few years from now vs a few decades. I can ONLY judge something here and now! And HERE and NOW TSM is a highly popular ride that is very repeatable without matching any of your criteria for what makes a ride sucessful. It opens next month in TDS btw, and I have a feeling it will be even more popular there than it is in DLR and WDW just like Monsters Inc, Buzz and Pooh all have HUGE popularity there as well. So again, this idea that rides mainly last through thrills and adult experiences is absurd. Pooh in TDR is still the top attraction at TDR going on 12 years now! A ride about a little British bear who craves honey still gets 1-2 hour waits. Again, its ALL about execution at the end of the day.



    Again, new attractions will always gain huge crowds no matter how poor the theme or execution. FNSV had 4 hour waits at the beginning and sustained lengthy queues for a whole year. The Disney brand by itself is what sells the attraction in the beginning, nothing more.
    Yes, but Nemo was also getting A LOT of mixed reviews at opening as well! Not so for RSR and CL! I didnt ride Nemo until several months after opening because I didnt live in the states at the time but I read so many reviews before I rode it I knew not to have my expectations too high and glad I didnt. I still liked it, but thankfully only waited 40 mins for my first ride. I would happily wait several hours for RSR if I had to! THATS the difference.

    Far as comparisons go, the polling thread that was created shows Indy pretty much in a tie despite the fact it's 17 years old, not in perfect working condition, and does not have the luxury of benefiting from the hype surrounding it as a new attraction. Pretty poor result if you ask me for something that cost twice as much to build.

    RSR vs. Indiana Jones - Merged
    LOL man, considering its the first new ride in 17 years in the resort to even tie with Indy I say is a big deal!

    Look, you can bat away all the evidence the thing is a really popular ride, but the fact is its a really popular ride. And not because its new or because it has the CARS characters in it, but because it does ALL those classic Disney elements people constantly talk about here: Well done story, great effects, highly detailed and yes, family orientated. Disney has created two rides in one, a dark ride and a thrill ride. Does it mean it will be as popular for the next 40 years? Who freakin knows??? Does it NEED to be popular for the next 40 years? Uh, no! ALL that matters is right now people love it. I dont go in to see a movie and say to myself, "If this thing isnt timeless for all eternity, then I wasted my $10." No one remotely does that. I dont understand when that suddenly became the criteria of a theme park ride or land?

    RSR and CL are GREAT for DCA, arguably the best things done in the park since its inception...I think most of us are just happy they finally have something that is a big attraction like everything else in the resort. Forty years from now I think they will just be happy that DCA is still standing period!

  6. #36

    • Very Helpful Old Feller
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...
    Posts
    616

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Howdy Pards,

    You can quote me on this if ya want to...Love is a mighty powerful thing. And it's clear that folks of all ages are fallin' in love with Radiator Springs with Ornament Valley and all of Cars Land!

    It all started, I suppose when John Lasseter took the folks from Pixar on a little road trip down the real Route 66. When that trip was over Mr. Lasseter wasn't the only one in the group that had fallen in love with the mother road. They all put their hearts and souls into the movie Cars...and it shows. The incredible detail in the movie and now in Cars Land the place is truly like a monument to a long and wonderful stretch of highway. But the movie is also a tribute to cars of all ages and stages and styles...a tribute to small town America... and the folks who live there. It's a story of the big city kid who discovers something he never thought about before...other people...and the beauty of a place out in the middle of nowhere.

    In short...I reckon it is timeless. And the love folks are startin' to feel now for Radiator Springs ain't gonna fade anytime soon...no...instead it's gonna grow deeper with the passing of the years.

    Radiator Springs is an immersive environment...a place folks like to go to escape the ordinary.

    The best example of this level of Amusement Park immersion is the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Florida. When folks go there they feel like they ARE in Hogsmeade...and as they enter Hogwarts...their memories kick in of adventures the whole world has enjoyed together with the boy wizard. Every little detail is recognized and appreciated.

    Cars Land is much the same...watch the movie then visit the park and you'll quickly see that a whole lotta love was put into every little detail of the place...a journey through Ornament Valley is a wonderful adventure...a wonderful memory...of both the movie and the mother road that stretched across our country.

    Nope. Love ain't goin' away anytime soon...and when you start lovin' a place like this that love grows deeper with each passing year. Main Street U.S.A. was built way back in 1955...so was the good ol' Mark Twain...and The Golden Horseshoe...and Dumbo started carryin' folks in flights over Fantasyland...and Peter Pan started daily non stop flights to Neverland on that very same day the park opened. Not to mention Walt's Steam trains that are still circlin' the park a half century later.

    Yep. I reckon, love is a mighty powerful thing. And...folks are startin' to fall in love with all of Cars Land. It'll be there long after we've moved on... The folks at Disney/Pixar have put their heart and souls into this one...and it shows.

    Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

    Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."


  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    858

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Cars land is not going anywhere. Huge crowds, huge waits, sold out merchandise and the place is still getting an unheard of 100% intent to return rating.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

  8. #38

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.
    Posts
    458

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    What will happen when Carsland becomes outdated? The same thing that is happening to boring attractions like FNSV and Buzz. The reality is that the style of Pixar movies are not classic enough to handle 40+ years of service on their own, computer animation just advances too fast and makes the older movies feel dated, especially to children. I don't think this land will be very entertaining in 10 years time because unlike other attractions such as Splash Mountain, RSR is not very thrilling or repeatable for adults. I went on RSR 3 times and it progressively just gets worse, it reminds me of a more expensive and grand version of Monsters Inc. It's still a good ride, just don't feel the theme or concept will hold interest for the long run. If the racing portion had been longer, faster, and more aggressive I don't think RSR would be experiencing this as much.

    Walt Disney was a smart man who understood what makes attractions popular for the long term:

    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."


    If you want to see what a long-term well made attraction looks like, Journey to the Center of the Earth is a primary example which features mystery, intense thrill, adult themes, and startling moments. Matter a fact, every single E-ticket in the past has accomplished one or more of these categories very well, RSR does not hit it out of the park on any one of these.
    You are part of the very vocal, very small minority regarding Cars Land. If you look at the lines for RSR, you see adults riding this ride. Lots of adults. This isn't a kiddie ride, its a ride for the whole family. And they almost unanimously love it. The second time I rode it I enjoyed it even more then the first.

    Luigi is fun. Do the lines suck and loading super slow? Yes. So is the classic ride Dumbo. Hour waits still occur frequently. For a ride that is tailored for kids. Guess what, Luigi is more enjoyable then Dumbo.

    Mater? High marks from everyone again. Plus they figured out how to load this thing and keep lines down.

    The one big negative comment on RSR that I hear is its too short. It runs just over 4 min., pretty much the exact length of the inferior Test Track. Guess what, Journey runs just over 3 minutes.

    So we get it. You don't like Pixar rides, you don't like RSR, you don't like Cars Land. That happens. Every ride can't appeal to every person. I think most of us disagree with you on how long this ride and land will stay popular.

  9. #39

    • Non-Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    434

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    There's a few people that don't like the Land or RCR?

    Quick! Shut it down! bulldoze it! Pretend it never happened!

    Give me a break, comparing EVERY little thing that DLR does today to how it was done 40 years ago is a tired argument. I'm sure if DLR returned to that EXACT same way people claim was sooooo much better, they would still complain about it. It's scary how people have begun to develop this mythos about Walt and his Land, as if anything done after his death shouldn't be considered Disneyland. Get over it.

    Cars Land was built on the strong back bone of what makes Route 66 such a special drive, I encourage anyone and everyone to take a trip on it, it is one of the most weird and amazing drives! Which in turn makes the argument "this is more for kids" completely null and void! This land hits the hearts of the older generation who grew up driving those desolate roads as a kid because there was no freeway or highway and the nostalgia rings true. My pops LOVES this area and he was not a huge CARS fan...at all and is one hard guy to please. Seeing this land makes them recall old stories and tugs at the heart strings of the older generation which in turn will spread down to the younger generations for years to come...Route 66 is a corner stone of Americana, just as much as the Wild West was. The fact that it is now represented in DCA does nothing but make me appreciate that era that much more.

    Trust me...Cars Land will last, just as much as NOS, Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Adventureland has lasted all these years
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"





  10. #40

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    788

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Prediction:

    A generation from now Disney will revive the Cars franchise with Cars Legacy, a film about Lightning McQueen's son (a hydrogen fuel cell powered car) coming back to Radiator Springs to take a break from life as a professional race car and in the process rediscovering the joys of his childhood and small town life. He will reconnect with his childhood friend, Mater Jr., and fall in love with his childhood crush: the daughter of Flo and Ramone.

    Guests flock to DCA to rediscover Carsland and meet Mater Jr.

  11. #41

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    8,890

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by socalkdg View Post
    You are part of the very vocal, very small minority regarding Cars Land.
    I agree with Seawolf. That makes two of us who share the same opinion. Whether two or two hundred, the tally of how many posters voice one opinion or another in these discussions is irrelevant to the value of their opinions. Devaluing, diminishing and dismissing posters by labeling them as "just in the minority" is not what MiceChat discussions are about.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

    - Neil Gabler


  12. #42

    • some guy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    40

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Prediction:

    A generation from now Disney will revive the Cars franchise with Cars Legacy, a film about Lightning McQueen's son
    LOL. And featuring an all new soundtrack by Daft Punk
    RAKE-A-REESY, CLUCK CLUCK

  13. #43

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,260

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I agree with Seawolf. That makes two of us who share the same opinion. Whether two or two hundred, the tally of how many posters voice one opinion or another in these discussions is irrelevant to the value of their opinions. Devaluing, diminishing and dismissing posters by labeling them as "just in the minority" is not what MiceChat discussions are about.
    Its nothing wrong to have a different opinion obviously. I think IASW and Tiki room shouldve been bulldozed decades ago, but I'm clearly in the minority on that and accepted it!

    But Seawolf seem to think his opinion is more valued on the condition that he truly feels CL wont last for decades which is just an opinion regardless. And then this odd presumption that WE can't judge an attraction and its popularity until its litterally decades old. Uh, thats his bizarre criteria, the rest of us can base it however we like. To say my point is 'moot' because RSR isnt 4 decades old yet to judge if people will like it long term or not is a little ridiculous.

    As for CL and RSR popularity, of course we dont know what the overall consensus is for CL from all the patrons that experienced it so far since its so new, but so far Al apparantly said the surveys have said 100% plan to return, which is unheard of, and the overall consensus on the net is its a hit thus far. The survey taken for RSR on these boards have a 75% rate of people who gave it 5 stars! I only gave it 4 stars but now feeling bad about it lol. I think those are signs of long term popularity and I dont think my opinion and others is 'moot' just because all the evidence thus far goes against his criteria and opinion of what he bases a 'good' ride on.

    If people dont like CL, FINE, I dont think its remotely an issue if people feel different about it, but dont try and tell us we are somehow 'wrong' and that he KNOWS CL will not have sustaining power or it should be judged on HIS terms alone. Again, his is just another OPINION based on these conditions no one will truly know. You are welcome to believe that, but dont throw it around as some kind of fact and then shocked when others disagree with you! I mean c'mon!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 06-29-2012 at 12:36 AM.

  14. #44

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.
    Posts
    458

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I agree with Seawolf. That makes two of us who share the same opinion. Whether two or two hundred, the tally of how many posters voice one opinion or another in these discussions is irrelevant to the value of their opinions. Devaluing, diminishing and dismissing posters by labeling them as "just in the minority" is not what MiceChat discussions are about.
    When did it become wrong to state a fact. I respect facts from posters as well as their opinions. Knowing the number of people that like or dislike this new land is pertinent to the topic that we are discussing. Will this land last. Thus knowing which view is the majority and which one is the minority is consistent with this discussion. His opinion, as well as yours, that the land isn't good and that it won't last, is, at present time, the minority view. As long as the land stays popular with the majority, Cars Land will be sticking around.

  15. #45

    • 8300
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burbank, Ca
    Posts
    421

    Re: What will happen to Carsland once it is deemed outdated?

    I just keep thinking that those cliffs are going to need a new paint job every year old the SoCal sun is going to make them fade to nothing.

    $$$
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

    Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] What Will Happen To The Barricade Art When Carsland Opens?
    By 257 Mouse in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
  2. [Question] What will happen to the old furniture from the Disneyland Hotel?
    By HatAndMouse in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM
  3. [Question] What will happen to the tile murals from DCA?
    By giddygirlie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM
  4. [Question] What will Happen if the "Big One" Hits disneyland?
    By Dlandclub33 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 09:40 PM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 06:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •