Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

• Ryan

Re: Third Park to be Marvel Theme?

The thing is, Disneyland isn't just Disney. There is a lot more in there than lands based off movies. (Or in MARVEL's case, comic books) I doubt a Marvel Park would even do well. There may seem like there is so much you could do with it, but I don't see any new Marvel characters coming here soon. What is the argument to have an all Marvel park anyways?

• Banned User

It that because it's such a huge universe that a single land wouldn't do it justice. There are tons and tons of Marvel characters and as has been mentioned before Marvel's been around for a long time and for a long time Superheros, comic books and comic films have been becoming huge as the numbers for Avengers show. A marvel park would bring in a large number of young adults and teenagers, which mostly gravitate to Six Flags and Universal.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    The thing is, Disneyland isn't just Disney. There is a lot more in there than lands based off movies. (Or in MARVEL's case, comic books) I doubt a Marvel Park would even do well. There may seem like there is so much you could do with it, but I don't see any new Marvel characters coming here soon. What is the argument to have an all Marvel park anyways?
    The argument?

Probably the same argument there was to keep Anaheim as an orange grove vs. a theme park.

Like I've said before, the entire "nerd culture" has been gaining steam for years. Especially in southern California. The thing is Disney bought Marvel for a reason, they have lost the ability to reach the male demographic from 17-30 (I understand that not everyone, including myself, stopped going to Disneyland and that Marvel is NOT just for boys but bear with me for arguments sake) and they knew that if they didn't do something soon then they were going to struggle to get them back.

Disney knew that there could be a potential gold mine there and that their ROI can be substantial with very little effort actually coming out of the Disney Studios. Again, looking at the popularity of not just Marvel but comic books and nerd culture in general, its HUGE. Shows like The Big Bang Theory pretty much thrive on that demographic and its been a huge hit for them. In San Diego you can watch that show on three different networks!

On top of that, they completely DOMINATED the movie industry this year with The Avengers which, in my eyes, was what solidified the fact that Disney made the right call. (just to get REALLY nerdy on everyone, I think the success of that movie had more to do with Joss Whedon who has been one of THE best and most under-rated directors of this generation!)

So you take all of those key elements, add in the fact that comic-con and wonder-con are two of the largest comicbook and media conventions in the market, which are both located in So Cal and a Disney Exec will see nothing but $$$ instead of people. So my argument is...why not? If done right and done with the amount of love they put into CarsLand this would be nothing short of making DLR a vacation MUST.

I really don't think Avatar or John Carter combined could bring out the amount of people that Marvel can. Plus it would be awesome to see Disney Characters dressed as super heroes! They could even bring back Disney Heroes like Darkwing Duck for the kids.

ok, I think I'm done now
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Ryan

But, how would an ALL Marvel park bring more people than a park joining the fans of heroes and adventure with movies like Avatar, Tron, Marvel films, and John Carter? Besides the fact that John Carter doesn't have a fan base, I think it is better to go with the choice that there is something for everyone.

It can't just be a 17-30 All Male Marvel Park. That isn't the reason they bought Marvel. They wanted to bring that demographic in, and incorporate it.

• Non-Minion

But, how would an ALL Marvel park bring more people than a park joining the fans of heroes and adventure with movies like Avatar, Tron, Marvel films, and John Carter? Besides the fact that John Carter doesn't have a fan base, I think it is better to go with the choice that there is something for everyone.

It can't just be a 17-30 All Male Marvel Park. That isn't the reason they bought Marvel. They wanted to bring that demographic in, and incorporate it.
    That is exactly why they bought Marvel. Mr. Wiggins shown proof of that earlier on in this thread or maybe it was another one of the multiple Marvel threads haha.

• Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    That is exactly why they bought Marvel. Mr. Wiggins shown proof of that earlier on in this thread or maybe it was another one of the multiple Marvel threads haha.
    They bought Marvel just so they could build an all Marvel park? That's stupid.

• Non-Minion

They bought Marvel just so they could build an all Marvel park? That's stupid.
    Noooo no, sorry I might have read that wrong.

They bought Marvel for the purpose of grabbing the demographic Disney has neglected for some time now. The male 17-30 demographic.

A Marvel park will attract the male 17-30 demographic but it does not mean the park will only be for that demographic. Disney/Marvel still need to put in rides that kids and older adults can ride. And again I believe Marvel is for both males and females, of all ages.

If there is a party that is or have males 17-30, I am 100% certain Disney would want them to go to their park than go to Universal or Six Flags.

• Ryan

ALL ages? That might be stretching it. Why would a family with a toddler girl "waste" their money on a park that doesn't speak to them?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    Disney/Marvel still need to put in rides that kids and older adults can ride.
    Disney already has two of those parks: Disneyland and DCA. The point of a 3rd gate on the same property aimed at action-adventure and superhero fans would be to complement the other two parks, not to parallel them. To provide experiences that the other two parks don't, can't, and shouldn't provide.

Disney is Disney. Marvel is Marvel. Disney can own and manage Marvel, but it "Disneyfies" Marvel at the peril of destroying the very reason they bought Marvel in the first place: to own its installed customer base. Making sure that a Marvel park also attracted the same demographics as Disneyland and DCA would be a massive marketing error -- one which I'd be astonished if Disney made.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I suppose I'm just a little concerned that we're all jumping the gun here. We don't even know what the plans are that are in discussion. We can't know unless/until it actually ends up becoming reality. So when I see people in this thread saying "Disney needs to go back to the drawing board" I'm fairly confused - as we have no idea what we're debating about anyway.

Marvel is a large collection of properties. Which ones? How are they planning on implementing them? What's the budget? What's the timeframe? Who are the people leading the project? Is Marvel full-on supportive and involved in this?

There are just so many questions that we don't know the answers to that I think it's really difficult to even begin to examine the positives/negatives about the idea, since it's simply so broad in how it could conceivably be designed/built/marketed.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    I would love to see the third park be self contained with the Marvel characters in it. I can't picture any of these characters inside of DL or DCA. I would love to see the focal point be a huge building containing both time periods of Stark Enterprises. That would be really cool!
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

• Minion

ALL ages? That might be stretching it. Why would a family with a toddler girl "waste" their money on a park that doesn't speak to them?
    Maybe the family has an older son who likes Marvel and so they wont see it as a waste?

A company cannot make everyone happy, and there is no reason why Disney should strive to make everyone happy, No reason a 3rd park has to appeal to everyone the current 2 parks do, maybe their goal is to bring in more people in a demographic that typically wont come at all, and not just to have people who would have come anyhow just stay longer.

• Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Maybe the family has an older son who likes Marvel and so they wont see it as a waste?

A company cannot make everyone happy, and there is no reason why Disney should strive to make everyone happy, No reason a 3rd park has to appeal to everyone the current 2 parks do, maybe their goal is to bring in more people in a demographic that typically wont come at all, and not just to have people who would have come anyhow just stay longer.
    Yep, that's true.

I just had a thought as I was looking through all of these different threads about the future of Disneyland. If they rip out the subs, Autopia and Innovations, there would be enough room in there for an entire new land. WHAT IF: Instead of expanding Tomorrowland, they built MARVELLAND? That way, they don't have to focus an entire park on Marvel, they don't shoehorn Marvel into random parts of the park, and they could actually have it completed by the time Potterland opens over at Universal.

Any thoughts on this wild idea?

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast