Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021 LastLast

• -

Re: Third Park to be Marvel Theme?

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Hughes View Post
    A third park on the Toy Story lot...yes. But a Marvel theme? Sweet Fancy Moses hell no!!!
    So maybe they should base it on something less popular, that wouldn't draw in tons of people and be totally amazing?

Marvel is the perfect theme for this new park. There are several immersive environments that they could create. There is a rich history of amazing storylines to draw on for some incredible dark rides.

There is also one very important thing that has been overlooked in this thread: if an area of the park is themed to New York, maybe we could finally get some descent pizza served at the resort.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    So maybe they should base it on something less popular, that wouldn't draw in tons of people and be totally amazing?

Marvel is the perfect theme for this new park. There are several immersive environments that they could create. There is a rich history of amazing storylines to draw on for some incredible dark rides.

There is also one very important thing that has been overlooked in this thread: if an area of the park is themed to New York, maybe we could finally get some descent pizza served at the resort.
    Why does the whole park have to be Marvel? I'm not getting how at a Disney Resort a whole park must be dedicated to one Series? It's never been done before and NO one can answer my main question...what are going to be the amazing 30+ attractions?

Here's how I see them doing it
    Asgard - Thor 3D ride....then a few Caravel rides themed to Thor's world

New York - Spiderman Dark ride...Ironman Coaster....rest of the land carnival rides themed to other super hero's based in new york

Wakanda - Black Panther Boat ride rest of the land....carnival rides

Space Land - Silver Surfer motion simulator...Fantastic 4 show... carnival rides

Wow that seems fun...

No, but I'm pretty sure Disney and Marvel would come up with something way better than that crappy idea. So in the end, it will be fun.
    I open in 2012

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Why does the whole park have to be Marvel? I'm not getting how at a Disney Resort a whole park must be dedicated to one Series? It's never been done before and NO one can answer my main question...what are going to be the amazing 30+ attractions?
    It's been said many times over in this thread. There are many different ideas that could be done. There are several storylines that could be retold nicely as classic dark rides. Secret Wars, the Dark Phoenix Saga, the Winter Soldier are just a few. With such a rich history of epic storylines, there is a ton of material to draw from where you could fill up an entire park without having to rely on "carnival rides".
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

It seems this is a really complicated subject. In my opinion a whole park based on marvel is a bad idea because 1) mostly boys and men will be interested 2) mostly marvel fans will be interested 3) when the park starts dwindling in #'s disney's going to be screaming for disney fans to take over the crouds and they won't wanna go because its all marvel. -now I do love marvel stories, however a whole park would not be a good idea for the reasons above. I believe the 3rd gate should be a "disney" park with a massive land themed to marvel. That would be much better. I mean look at Frontierland, it started out 1/3 the size of the park and it was a universe based solely on all things western and adventurous. Now it has 1 ride (not counting the riverboats) and disney is trying to bring more popularity into it. The same will eventually happen to a whole marvel park when superhero mania dies down in the future. If it were merely a massive land in the 3rd park, then disney could rely on the rest of the park to prevail numbers. -Thats how I see it.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ayalexander View Post
    The same will eventually happen to a whole marvel park when superhero mania dies down in the future.
    Superheros have been around and popular since June 1938. When do you think their popularity will "die down"?

• Banned User

^^really

If you go back through the thread you'll see everyone of your questions answered.

I think an all-Marvel park would be a little much. Instead I could get behind a park with 5 lands. Marvel Universe "New York" (Spiderman, Stark Expo), "Countryside" (X-men mansion), Pandora (Avatar), A star wars land, and Middle Earth (The Shire and Mount Doom). As someone else mentioned Thor castle would be the central icon.

Probably won't happen...

• Banned User

We've already gone over why an all marvel park would work. Plus just adding more properties doesn't add to the park.

Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum...just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I think there's a happy medium between those who are pro-Marvel theme park and those who are anti-Marvel theme park. The key argument seems to be branding the new park as Marvel. Fortunately, Disney landed a brand with a very descriptive name, one that speaks the core of Disney itself. Why don't we look at Marvel the word as opposed to the brand for a minute. The definition of which: something that causes wonder, admiration, or astonishment. This description translates to Disney's level of quality and creativity and syncs seamlessly.

Let's say a 3rd gate was named "Disney Marvel Universe" or "Disney World of Marvel", either name can describe "Marvel" the brand, while simultaneously describing "marvel" the word. All that is needed is a play on words. Disney's California Adventure, for example, was named for a park primarily showcasing attractions based on California landmarks, now the park is going through a transformation and the name evokes Walt's experiences and early inspirations while embracing new properties that are relevant, without changing any words (with the subtle change of taking out the apostrophe 's') and still relate to the park as a whole just the same. I think Disney execs can find a way to disguise the Marvel name without hiding it, embracing Marvel fans and non Marvel fans alike.

The Marvel Universe has a wealth of possibilities and I think it's an environment particular Disney properties can thrive in as well. Much like in DL, where woody, Jesse and Bullseye are hanging out in Frontierland while Buzz Lightyear shares the same stage as Darth Vadar in Tomorrowland, there's a lot of crossover opportunities between Disney and Marvel. I don't see why the Incredibles and Darkwing Duck can't walk in the same streets with Spiderman and the Avengers in a superhero city. How about Hercules rubbing elbows with Thor? Sky High right next to the X-mansion? The Grid next to Stark Industries? I think the key is to build a park that will attract the young male demographic with high adrenaline attractions that connects through Marvel storylines while maintaining the Disney quality with immersive environments and experiences that invites other demographics to want to discover as well. Marvel seems like a better fit for Universal Studios, but it can create a balance in the DLR and complement DL and DCA if done right.

Ok, so we've determined that there would probably be no shortage of ride/attraction ideas. Awesome.

And we've determined that the superhero genre is here to stay. Cool.

For the record, I am not categorically *against* a Marvel park, even though it may not be my favorite idea ever. No worries, I'm sure it'll be cool. More than anything, I'm curious.

What I love most about DLR and DCA, is the atmosphere, the overall theme-ing, the ubiquitous details that make one feel as though one has been transported to a really different world.

I don't know the Marvel superhero stories very well, but as I understand things, the main thing that makes the Marvel universe different from ours, is the superheroes (and supervillains). So, what's going to make us guests feel like we've left our worries behind for a day? As an outsider to this genre, the only icons I know of are the logos and the characters, and they won't make for very convincing architecture. What sort of theme-ing might you use to separate the INside of the park from the OUTside?

There will never be a Marvel-themed park, period.

The best you can hope for will be a Marvel-themed "land" at DCA. This is possible, but also highly unlikely.

Really, I think the most likely scenario would be a "superhero" themed land. The land's theming would be broader than just Marvel to include characters like bolt, and the incredibles.

That said, yes, I could see a small, superhero-themed land at DCA that had 1-2 attractions based on the Marvel universe. I could also see Marvel being more heavily utilized overseas, but that it is. You would see a Disney Sea America, a Westcot, or something else long before you saw and entire third gate based on Marvel. While popular, the demographic is just too limited for a disney-themed park.

Though it is off topic, it should be noted that the MOST LIKELY third gate is not a themepark at all, but a waterpark. There simply is just not enough land to do a theme park well in the areas mentioned.

Disney has long toyed with the idea of both (a) expanding DTD in California and (b) a waterpark. It should be noted that WDI has already drafted, in the past, three (3) versions of a California water-park. The most recent one was based on the Pirates of the Carribean franchise. You can find the actual artwork for this waterpark over at the Neverland Files.

I don't like superheros in general. A Marvel theme park doesn't sound very interesting at all.

If it was a marvel water park I'd go cause I love water parks and wild rivers just closed down. I don't much care what the water park theme is as long as the slides and water features are fun.
    Last edited by Gwenchanter; 07-13-2012 at 12:33 PM.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SteedLaw View Post
    There will never be a Marvel-themed park, period.

The best you can hope for will be a Marvel-themed "land" at DCA. This is possible, but also highly unlikely.

Really, I think the most likely scenario would be a "superhero" themed land. The land's theming would be broader than just Marvel to include characters like bolt, and the incredibles.

That said, yes, I could see a small, superhero-themed land at DCA that had 1-2 attractions based on the Marvel universe. I could also see Marvel being more heavily utilized overseas, but that it is. You would see a Disney Sea America, a Westcot, or something else long before you saw and entire third gate based on Marvel. While popular, the demographic is just too limited for a disney-themed park.

Though it is off topic, it should be noted that the MOST LIKELY third gate is not a themepark at all, but a waterpark. There simply is just not enough land to do a theme park well in the areas mentioned.

Disney has long toyed with the idea of both (a) expanding DTD in California and (b) a waterpark. It should be noted that WDI has already drafted, in the past, three (3) versions of a California water-park. The most recent one was based on the Pirates of the Carribean franchise. You can find the actual artwork for this waterpark over at the Neverland Files.
    Never? Period?

Wow...such finalities? Not to sound so perplexed by what would cause you to think that it is that cut and dry?

Marvel is limited in the same aspect that Disney is limited. Marvel has been around since the 60's and even before that comic books have been around since the 30's. I live in San Diego and work only a few blocks away from the convention center and I don't know if you have ever been but Comic-Con is going on as I type this and if there is any untapped potential demographic that Disney wants to cash in on, it would be this one. Why else would they be premiering exclusive The Lone Ranger clips or promoting their Epic Mickey 2 series? I would hate to burst your bubble but a Marvel park would be a lot more lucrative then a water park. Especially when Wild Rivers is only a few minutes away and a lot cheaper than what Disney would charge.

I know I have stated this COUNTLESS times but the Marvel Universe and the nerd-culture is alive and well and I think it would be a HUGE mistake to NOT try and bring that to Disney. Especially if Wondercon stays in Anaheim (which is rumored) or if Comic-Con ends up leaving San Diego the area of choice would be Anaheim. How could you not see that as a gold mine?
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

This rumor has been floating around forever. If truth be told, I wouldn't mind a Marvel theme park. They have...what...hmm...let's see...5000 characters in their catalogue? So a lot of potential for it. But that has to be because I like marvel and I read them sometimes.

If truth be told a heroes Park would be a better idea. Have Disney's characters interact with Marvel characters so it could be more dynamic.