Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Third Park to be Marvel Theme?

I think a lot of it has to do with the way the attractions are presented. A roller coaster with the name of a superhero slapped on it isn't going to have the same effect as a fleshed out, Disney quality attraction.
    I agree about the Hulk coaster and Dr Dooms drop ride. But the theming around the area is up to Disney's standard. And the Spiderman is certainly something you would expect to find at Disney.

The point i was making is that the brand of marvel sells like hotcakes. walk into a walmart or target and tell me just how much merch you see with a marvel character slapped on to it, most of it aimed at kids/teens.

I merely sited the avengers numbers as a gage for popularity in all demographics
    I'm not disputing this point at all. I am not dead set against the idea of adding Marvel to the parks. But to have an entire park dedicated. Sorry I'm not convinced. Unless the Resort wants to attract a completely new audience this park will not work with the current Disneyland park goer. And its my understanding Management want to make Disney a multiple day destination.
    Last edited by Malin; 06-26-2012 at 10:38 AM.

I don't think Anaheim is the place for this. When people think Anaheim they think Disneyland and Mickey Mouse. Look at what they learned from the 50th anniversary and from DCA 1.0. I believe that regardless of the popularity of this franchise (and I love Marvel), a park like this would be empty. And we Micechatters would call it DCA--Redux.

Take the money you want to spend on this and further improve what we have. There are plenty of projects to be done.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I love...love Marvel..but a whole theme Park? To me it sounds like too much of a good thing....why not just a land...with an Avengers show....Ironman Coaster....A Spiderman Mini Coaster/dark ride....and some sort of water ride

There are just too many good idea's out there to make a theme parks based solely on ONE idea

• Banned User

I agree that pigeonholing themselfs to Marvel isn't the best idea, but i do like that it doesn't mix with any other disney properties

Im most worried about what the park as a whole will look like. Harry potter has the awesome wizarding world to flesh out. Cars land had the giant rock formations and the cute town of RS...but what about marvel? What are the marvel lands going to look like? The only marvel land I can think that will be pleasant to be in will be stark expo. Everything else takes place in a boring generic city. Xaviers mutant school might be cool.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    I don't think Anaheim is the place for this. When people think Anaheim they think Disneyland and Mickey Mouse. Look at what they learned from the 50th anniversary and from DCA 1.0. I believe that regardless of the popularity of this franchise (and I love Marvel), a park like this would be empty. And we Micechatters would call it DCA--Redux.

Take the money you want to spend on this and further improve what we have. There are plenty of projects to be done.
    I would have to disagree with you on that.

Southern California is one of the largest hot-spots as far as the comic book generation is concerned. I believe if its done right you could hit every demographic out there. Young, old, family, boys, girls, teens, and everything else in between. Marvel has been around since 1961 (1939 if you count Timely Publications) so I think it has the potential of grabbing and keeping an audience.

If hundreds of thousands of people flock to Comic-con every year in San Diego I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for a park dedicated to the Marvel Universe. That is, of course, if it was built and themed right (obviously why DCA 1.0 didn't work, not because it was geared towards the older generation but because it was built CHEAP). For this to be done right it would have to be WWoHP but on mass amounts of steroids and HGH...and maybe a little creatine just for fun
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Insomniac

^^i could see them using the Asgard palace from Thor as the parks icon... There are so many different settings for marvel outside of the mundane New York setting that most associate with super heroes.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^I was about to say...Comic Con sells out in less then a day...I am very sure that there are comic fans here...and heck very big movie fans

Still have no clue why we don't have Star Wars Weekends here..they'd be huge

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Im most worried about what the park as a whole will look like. Harry potter has the awesome wizarding world to flesh out. Cars land had the giant rock formations and the cute town of RS...but what about marvel? What are the marvel lands going to look like? The only marvel land I can think that will be pleasant to be in will be stark expo. Everything else takes place in a boring generic city. Xaviers mutant school might be cool.
    There are tons of locations reaching from space to jungles to deserts, to forests. Marvel has traveled into the past and into the future as well...I don't think that locations would be an issue

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 11:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^I was about to say...Comic Con sells out in less then a day...I am very sure that there are comic fans here...and heck very big movie fans

They just had an "Unofficial Star Wars Day" this passed weekend but I agree with you! Bring Star Wars Weekends here!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

That is, of course, if it was built and themed right (obviously why DCA 1.0 didn't work, not because it was geared towards the older generation but because it was built CHEAP).
    When you look at the amount of family and Character based rides and experiences that have been added to DCA since 2001. You know the problems were not just because it was built on the cheap. It didn't appeal or interest a lot of the people that visit Disneyland. Thats why it failed!

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    When you look at the amount of family and Character based rides and experiences that have been added to DCA since 2001. You know the problems were not just because it was built on the cheap. It didn't appeal or interest a lot of the people that visit Disneyland. Thats why it failed!
    The only time I noticed DCA doing ANYTHING was after they initiated the remake of the park. Once that was annouced everything started changing. Of course NOW DCA is seeing HUGE numbers because BVS and CL are the climax to this billion dollar renovation.

Before that DCA was an Eyesore that was built cheaply and very Pun-centric and it seemed like something spewed out of the 90's and not in a good way. The only ride added that made any kind of impact before the remodel was ToT. So I stick true to my original assesment that DCA was built on the extreme cheap side of things...people can smell B.S. a mile away and knew that from the begining and there was nothing there to hold your attention for more than 3 hours out of your day only to head back into Disneyland.

Let them do another park, just don't put the attractions in Disneyland. I know all the arguments (Star Wars, Indy) but those are classic and timeless. Not sure Avengers will be in 25 years from now.

If they do another park, it clearly has to be supremely themed and immersive. Otherwise you just have another Six Flags or Islands of Adventure. That's not Disney IMO.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^Pirates...the Matterhorn...HM....Big Thunder Space...the Subs....Space Mountain...the classic's are not based on movies yet people still like them

DCA had only a few things it really did right...THAT is why it failed not because Mickey was not on the funwheel....I like many just like Carsland because of its Quality not the characters

I'm not against a Marvel Park but I have to recall how many people felt California was too restrictive of a theme for a Disney Park. I would have bet everything I owned on a 3rd gate having a theme where Disney could add more Pixar attractions.

Although I am intrigued by the thoughts of a Marvel park and I do agree there are a lot of fans out there but will it draw 8-9 million people annually solely on Marvel? I'm not sure. I would love to see what they have up their sleeve though. Again, if they go all out, maybe it will be amazing. But it's a risk for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    I feel the same way. As someone who just came back (suffered) from SWW, it would be amazing to have that experience without wilting in a Florida steambath so I could actually enjoy it and not fear of passing out from the heat. I was told the Build a Droid factory should be coming to Disneyland soon. I always thought SWW would be a great thing to add to Disneyland like weekends in February to drive up a slow time of the year.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    What are the marvel lands going to look like? The only marvel land I can think that will be pleasant to be in will be stark expo. Everything else takes place in a boring generic city.
    I would assume some kind of city would be the 'Main Street' of a Marvel park. I dunno, I'd look forward to a boring, generic city if they gave it the BVS treatment. The city sets in DHS are nice enough, I bet they could take it to an entirely different level.

--------------------

Just received a PR blast from Disney with this opener:

'Marvel’s The Avengers is expected to cross the $600 million domestic box office threshold today, becoming one of only three films in history ever to reach this milestone. The Super Hero film’s global total is now an estimated $1,438.3 million, and it stands as the #3 film of all time globally and domestically.'

It's not just comic book fans who will flock to a Marvel park. Super hero movies are part of today's pop culture, just as westerns and scifi once were.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast