Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Third Park to be Marvel Theme?

The only time I noticed DCA doing ANYTHING was after they initiated the remake of the park. Once that was annouced everything started changing. Of course NOW DCA is seeing HUGE numbers because BVS and CL are the climax to this billion dollar renovation.

Before that DCA was an Eyesore that was built cheaply and very Pun-centric and it seemed like something spewed out of the 90's and not in a good way. The only ride added that made any kind of impact before the remodel was ToT. So I stick true to my original assesment that DCA was built on the extreme cheap side of things...people can smell B.S. a mile away and knew that from the begining and there was nothing there to hold your attention for more than 3 hours out of your day only to head back into Disneyland.
    If that was the only reason it failed. Why did WDI not just continue to build thill rides and non Character themed attractions to that park like Tower of Terror. Because the Guests survey's indicated people wanted more family attractions and Characters.

I would hope only $200... I would guess a 50% increase.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    If that was the only reason it failed. Why did WDI not just continue to build thill rides and non Character themed attractions to that park like Tower of Terror. Because the Guests survey's indicated people wanted more family attractions and Characters.
    So family attractions is why Maliboomer, Orange Stinger, Pizza Ooo Mow Mow, Burger Invasions, The Sunglass Shack, The Golden Dreams, and the Sunshine Plaza was taken out? Because only two of those were rides

The problem didn't seem to be family attractions and characters. the GLARING problem was QUALITY and VALUE, simply put...there was none. People are excited about DCA more because of the fact that there is life finally breathed into it. BVS seems alive and energetic and there are no family rides there. Cars Land is huge not just because of the rides but because the quality and value put into that sections blow away anything DLR has done since Indiana Jones. Its a living and breathing enviroment and THAT will bring people into a park. That is why people want to go see it and experience it. To me the rides are almost secondary compared to the lavish set piece that is built around it
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

a marvel park wouldn't work. but! a land in dca would do of the avengers for a prototype.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Marvel is popular but is it popular enough to have its own park. Targetting males and you are missing a huge number of your audience. With Disneyland now wanting to be the Westcoast Disney World. Its going to have to appeal and provide multiple day experiences for all Members of the Family. A family with two young Princesses are not going to want to be taken around a Marvel themed thrill park. And so will visit DL & DCA and avoid spending an extra day here for this proposed other park.
    And a family w/ two young, thrillseeking Avengers will not want to be taken around DL & DCA. This is why a third theme park is the only feasible solution.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    ^Pirates...the Matterhorn...HM....Big Thunder Space...the Subs....Space Mountain...the classic's are not based on movies yet people still like them

DCA had only a few things it really did right...THAT is why it failed not because Mickey was not on the funwheel....I like many just like Carsland because of its Quality not the characters
    Not sure where you were going with this in reference to my quote. The rides you listed are still among my favorites, with Pirates being at the top.

My point was solely around movie franchises and I was not calling ST and IJA the only classic rides in DL. In my opinion, Star Wars and Indiana Jones (their rides are classic as well as those you listed) will be remembered and loved well after people start forgetting about the Avengers (and Avatar as far as that goes).

I would love if Disney would come up with original attractions without a movie/franchise tie in but I think that is less likely in today's environment.

• Banned User

So family attractions is why Maliboomer, Orange Stinger, Pizza Ooo Mow Mow, Burger Invasions, The Sunglass Shack, The Golden Dreams, and the Sunshine Plaza was taken out? Because only two of those were rides
    I would not consider the Maliboomer a family attraction. It was a thrill ride which is not something the whole family could enjoy like for instance Pirates of the Carribean.

Orange Stinger was not taken out. Its still at the park but has been given a Character makeover. Golden Dreams was taken out and replaced by the family and Character driven Under the Sea Attraction.

BVS seems alive and energetic and there are no family rides there.
    Red Car Trolley.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    And a family w/ two young, thrillseeking Avengers will not want to be taken around DL & DCA. This is why a third theme park is the only feasible solution.
    I would somewhat disagree with both of you, but moreso this latter quote. Assuming by Avengers you mean boys, I can pretty much guarantee young boys will enjoy Disneyland (as they have for decades) and DCA (especially DCA 2.0).

I will agree that a third park is an option but I don't see Disney building a park that alienates a significant target audience, families (with little boys or little girls).

• Non-Minion

I would not consider the Maliboomer a family attraction. It was a thrill ride which is not something the whole family could enjoy like for instance Pirates of the Carribean.

Orange Stinger was not taken out. Its still at the park but has been given a Character makeover. Golden Dreams was taken out and replaced by the family and Character driven Under the Sea Attraction.

Red Car Trolley.
    So you would agree with me that the quality of those that were either taken out or re-themed lacked quality, correct?

Red Car Trolley is a mode of transportation. You can call it a ride but I see it in the same aspect as the Omnibus

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    This is why you recreate a park that appeals to all audiences and not just one. Both Disneyland and DCA cater to this audience. A teen and adult park featuring just Marvel Superhero's would not appeal to everyone. Disney California Adventure has the thrill rides like Screamin, Tower of Terror and Grizzly. But is also features more family fun attractions like Mermaid and Toy Story. It has something that will appeal to everyone.

Im 23 and I love Disneyland and California Adventure. But if a park for Avengers was built by Disney that was somewhat like Magic Mountain I would choose that park any day of the week. I still enjoy Disneyland but when I go I usually only go on the thrill rides and a few of the kiddie rides. So a park with all thrill rides would do it for me

• Banned User

So you would agree with me that the quality of those that were either taken out or re-themed lacked quality, correct?
    Not really I would not dispute the park lacked quality themed areas. But it was not the sole reason why the park failed. Characters and the lack of family attractions were two massive reasons it failed and not just the look of the park.

• Non-Minion

Not really I would not dispute the park lacked quality themed areas. But it was not the sole reason why the park failed. Characters and the lack of family attractions were two massive reasons it failed and not just the look of the park.
    agree to disagree, I respect your outlook and how you see it. Why don't we just say it was a culmination of poor quality, and a lack of family attractions and call it a day

• Banned User

I'm happy to agree with that

Like I say I don't disagree with you. But I just feel its more then just that reason alone why the park failed. And why I have deep concerns for a Marvel themepark in the Anaheim area.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I will agree that a third park is an option but I don't see Disney building a park that alienates a significant target audience, families (with little boys or little girls).
    How is Marvel alienating families? I'm pretty sure there were different types of families that watched "The Avengers" together. To simply stereotype Marvel as a boy-centric brand is a bit shortsighted. I know many girls and women who thoroughly enjoyed Marvel movies... the fact that "The Avengers" is the top grossing movie says a lot, it made more money than "The Princess & the Frog" or "Tangled".

You know, Stan Lee had the same problem in the 80s. He went to the different studios and tried to sell Marvel properties, all the major studios turned him down saying that a full fledged live-action movie based on comics would not work for different reasons. It took a couple decades for these studios to fully realize the potential. Now that Marvel is part of Disney, it is eventual we will see something from Marvel in Anaheim whether you guys like it or not. Disney can't simply ignore the possibilities, an entity that is making money and new fans (aka brand loyalists).

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast