Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Non-Minion

Re: Third Park to be Marvel Theme?

Maybe a Marvel Park will be good for girls to enjoy. Teach them there is more than just being a princess, you can be a strong independant girl who doesn't always need a prince to come save her.

Which is why I actually loved watching Brave, it was a great family movie and it was nice to see a princess who wasn't in desperate need to find her love.
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

How is Marvel alienating families?
    According to the Hollywood Reporter only 24% of the audience that watched the Avengers on opening Weekend were Families. I don't see how building a park themed specifically to Marvel is going to appeal to the Disneyland fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by LOST View Post
    How is Marvel alienating families? I'm pretty sure there were different types of families that watched "The Avengers" together. To simply stereotype Marvel as a boy-centric brand is a bit shortsighted. I know many girls and women who thoroughly enjoyed Marvel movies... the fact that "The Avengers" is the top grossing movie says a lot, it made more money than "The Princess & the Frog" or "Tangled".
    My premise is solely based on Disney building a full fleged, all thrill ride park. IF they do that, they are unlikely to attract the classic Disney Family demographic (i.e. families with little girls, little boys) at the same level Disneyland and DCA (now) will. Which ultimately may be ok for them as they could be attracting new fans or people that have outgrown Disneyland/DCA.

Who knows, they could build something that appeals to all ages...it's all speculation at this point.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    This is why you recreate a park that appeals to all audiences and not just one.
    Appealing to "all audiences" is the old Disney. Today's Disney is a media marketing corporation run by media marketing experts -- targeting specific brands to specific demographics is their specialty; using theme parks as platforms for promoting brands is their business model. A third gate targeted to fans of action, adventure and thrills (which is a huge demographic), is a perfect fit for the DLR -- the first two gates take care of the girl, senior and family-with-young-kids demographics.

I don't see how building a park themed specifically to Marvel is going to appeal to the Disneyland fanbase.
    The third gate wouldn't have to be themed only to Marvel. And appealing to a fanbase beyond Disneyland's would be the point.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-26-2012 at 12:29 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Marvel and Avengers aren't one in the same.

Marvel is a brand of superheros. There have been media produced by marvel aimed at both family and adult audiences. Take for example the Disney Channels, Avengers, Earths Mightiest Heros. That is aimed at a family/younger generation.

I think overall the brand is very flexable.

According to the Hollywood Reporter only 24% of the audience that watched the Avengers on opening Weekend were Families. I don't see how building a park themed specifically to Marvel is going to appeal to the Disneyland fanbase.
    Well, if we put things in perspective: twenty four percent of $1.438 Billion is $345,120,000. That's ALOT of money from families.

part of the problem with the original DCA was not just the quality and number of attractions. it had to compete with DL. a third gate will have this and more.

most guests come to the resort with park hoppers so the third gate will have to compete with a megapark. whether the third gate is Marvel or something else it will need to be big and well executed in order to compete with the DL/DCA combo.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Appealing to "all audiences" is the old Disney. Today's Disney is a media marketing corporation run by media marketing experts -- targeting specific brands to specific demographics is their specialty. Using theme parks as platforms for promoting brands is their business model. A DLR third gate targeted to fans of action, adventure and thrills (which is a huge demographic), is a perfect fit for Disney -- the first two gates take care of the girl, preschool and family demographics.
    I was under the impression Disney wanted Disneyland to become a West Coast WDW. Having families stay on site for multiple days at a time. This plans seems to fall through if Disney want to build something thats not going to appeal to its regular audience. It tried to make DCA the adventure and thrills Park. And it failed how will it be different this time around. Its not exactly been a huge suscess for Universal. Because both Orlando and Japan which have the Spiderman ride are still struggling to compete against Disney. And this is despite the fact WDW has hardly in the last few years invested any money on new attractions for the parks.

Well, if we put things in perspective: twenty four percent of $1.438 Billion is $345,120,000. That's ALOT of money from families.
    But if you only have 24% of the people staying in Anaheim that are interested in visiting a Marvel Park. Thats 76% that won't visit the park and will leave a day earlier. Thats a lot of potential money Disney are risking losing here.

• Senior Minion

I was under the impression Disney wanted Disneyland to become a West Coast WDW. Having families stay on site for multiple days at a time. This plans seems to fall through if Disney want to build something thats not going to appeal to its regular audience.
    Geographically in its compact size and California location, and demographically in its enormous base of AP locals, DLR is a very different animal than WDW. An action-adventure third gate is not a guaranteed no-appeal to DLR's "regular audience" (which these days is hugely heterogeneous), any more than an action-adventure ride like Indy and a roller coaster like Big Thunder excludes those who also love to ride Peter Pan and POTC.

An action-adventure third gate would expand the DLR brand, not diminish it. Assuming, of course, it was properly planned and executed.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disneyland History Lover

Well, years ago they also made a Star Wars park mock-up. It could just be to get an idea of the possibilities... very blue sky. I think a Marvel park stands a better chance of being built than a Star Wars park, even though I'd prefer to see a Star Wars park happen.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Marvel has more than enough different themed properties in its roster to appeal to pretty much everyone. Marvel is more than Avengers and X-Men

And I can think of quite a few posters on this board that would be estatic that Marvel would get its own park instead of being put into an existing one.

As for the Star Wars weekends, compare DHS where their Star Tours is to our Tomorrowland. Much more room. Star Wars weekend in Disneyland would be a nightmare before the Tomorrowland expansion Al laid down in the article
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

But if you only have 24% of the people staying in Anaheim that are interested in visiting a Marvel Park. Thats 76% that won't visit the park and will leave a day earlier. Thats a lot of potential money Disney are risking losing here.
    Or the potential audience to be gained? Not everyone that goes to DCA and Disneyland are nuclear families. In the past few years, I've been going to the Disneyland Resort more with friends and colleagues. As a twentysomething male AP, I enjoy a variety of aspects that the Resort has to offer.. In the last couple months I've ridden the Storybook Boats to Snow White's Scary Adventures, and I also thoroughly enjoy Indiana Jones to Star Tours. To just simply stereotype that a specific demographic will only enjoy a specific branding is ludicrous. In conclusion, I do believe it is possible to bring families into a Marvel Park that is imagineered by Disney.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Let them do another park, just don't put the attractions in Disneyland. I know all the arguments (Star Wars, Indy) but those are classic and timeless.
    The Avengers and Marvel as a whole have been around much longer than either of those properties named as classics.
    Last edited by calsig31; 06-26-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo123 View Post
    Im 23 and I love Disneyland and California Adventure. But if a park for Avengers was built by Disney that was somewhat like Magic Mountain I would choose that park any day of the week. I still enjoy Disneyland but when I go I usually only go on the thrill rides and a few of the kiddie rides. So a park with all thrill rides would do it for me
    To me, this would be the best approach to a Marvel park. However Disney would still have several issues on their hands. The first being that Disney would be criticize for having a park that seems more in design with DCA 1.0. Fans would be outraged and would feel that Disney is selling out their brand for lower grade Six Flags style theme park approach.

The second problem might be even bigger: if the Marvel Park is going to be on DLR property, Disney will want guests to pay the same price to go this park as they do for DL and DCA. I don't think there is anyway that a Marvel thrill park would warrant the same high admission prices as the other two Disney parks. The ticket prices would have to be the same as for any local Six Flags-like thrill park or close enough if they are to win over thrill park guests on a frequent basis.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    To me, this would be the best approach to a Marvel park. However Disney would still have several issues on their hands. The first being that Disney would be criticize for having a park that seems more in design with DCA 1.0. Fans would be outraged and would feel that Disney is selling out their brand for lower grade Six Flags style theme park approach.

The second problem might be even bigger: if the Marvel Park is going to be on DLR property, Disney will want guests to pay the same price to go this park as they do for DL and DCA. I don't think there is anyway that a Marvel thrill park would warrant the same high admission prices as the other two Disney parks. The ticket prices would have to be the same as for any local Six Flags-like thrill park or close enough if they are to win over thrill park guests on a frequent basis.

Well I would hope that it being made by Disney it would not be a Six-Flags'esque, generic coaster with a superhero name slapped on it park.

Pretty sure they wont repeat the mistakes of DCA 1.0
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast