Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• Non-Minion

Re: Third Park to be Marvel Theme?

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    To me, this would be the best approach to a Marvel park. However Disney would still have several issues on their hands. The first being that Disney would be criticize for having a park that seems more in design with DCA 1.0. Fans would be outraged and would feel that Disney is selling out their brand for lower grade Six Flags style theme park approach.

The second problem might be even bigger: if the Marvel Park is going to be on DLR property, Disney will want guests to pay the same price to go this park as they do for DL and DCA. I don't think there is anyway that a Marvel thrill park would warrant the same high admission prices as the other two Disney parks. The ticket prices would have to be the same as for any local Six Flags-like thrill park or close enough if they are to win over thrill park guests on a frequent basis.
    I know that universal and six flags have brought out the conception that the only way to do a comic book based area is to throw roller coasters in a park and call it a day. But there is WAY more you can do with the Marvel Universe that goes beyond just thrill rides. I have no doubt in my mind that it can appeal to every aspect of the family

As far as admission would go I could see DLR offering tiered pricing. 1day 1 park, 1 day 2 park (your choice of parks), or the 1 day 3 park option. you could then do 3 day 1 park tickets and that would increase the amount of time families stay on property which in turn increases the amount of money they spend while there. or you could even offer a special vacation 3 day parkhopper. You could even use that same model in regards to Annual Passes
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    According to the Hollywood Reporter only 24% of the audience that watched the Avengers on opening Weekend were Families. I don't see how building a park themed specifically to Marvel is going to appeal to the Disneyland fanbase.
    doesnt mean anything without real statistics

I understand why people would hesitate at the thought of a Marvel theme park. The only example is Marvel Superhero Island at Islands of Adventure. That's a rather poor example though because that area and its attractions are based around the super-outdated Marvel cartoons of the 1990's. If Disney were to build this park, I'm hoping they would base the theme around the comic books, not the movies or tv shows.

Sure it might feature roller coasters and thrill rides not seen in any disney park before, but don't assume it will be like Six Flags Magic Mountain or Knotts. If anything, it would be like Islands of Adventure but with even more immersive theming. Intense y'all!

I, for one, am looking forward to seeing this rumored third park come into fruition.

Today, I feel like driving through a cursed temple, taking a tour of a haunted antebellum mansion, plunging down a waterfall in a hollowed-out log, bobsledding down a famous swiss mountain, traveling through the darkest recesses of space, and watching fireworks explode over a fantastical castle.

Yeah, that sounds fun.

• -

To me, this would be the best approach to a Marvel park. However Disney would still have several issues on their hands. The first being that Disney would be criticize for having a park that seems more in design with DCA 1.0. Fans would be outraged and would feel that Disney is selling out their brand for lower grade Six Flags style theme park approach.
    Why would you assume they would take the Six Flags approach? Their current track record with Cars Land is anything but. Why couldn’t they do an incredibly immersively themed park with a mix of thrilling E-Tickets as well as some family friendly dark rides. There are numerous storylines they could adapt to a great dark ride on the scale of Pirates. This would also be a great place to put in the Ant-Man version of Innerspace. There are endless possibilities that do not involve a plywood face on the side of a coaster.

The second problem might be even bigger: if the Marvel Park is going to be on DLR property, Disney will want guests to pay the same price to go this park as they do for DL and DCA. I don't think there is anyway that a Marvel thrill park would warrant the same high admission prices as the other two Disney parks.
    Again if it is done to the standard of the other Disney parks, there is no reason that it shouldn’t cost the same as the others.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

The second problem might be even bigger: if the Marvel Park is going to be on DLR property, Disney will want guests to pay the same price to go this park as they do for DL and DCA. I don't think there is anyway that a Marvel thrill park would warrant the same high admission prices as the other two Disney parks. The ticket prices would have to be the same as for any local Six Flags-like thrill park or close enough if they are to win over thrill park guests on a frequent basis.
    While I do agree a whole park about Marvel is not worth 80 bucks....a park with say 4 BIG idea's and Marvel being on of those would be.

We really have no facts yet.....and I'm sure some Imagneers are pushing for a park with at least ONE original land not based off a movie...or book or anything

Another Problem I see...is land...I really hope they don't let this next theme park be limited by space...like the other two they built are. I hope they wait until they can do it without rushing it like what they did with DCA

I'm guessing that if a 3rd park gets built the final product won't have just Marvel but that it'll incorporate non-Marvel attractions as well. Just as DCA is often referred to as a Pixar park not everything in there is Pixar related.

• Minion

Why does everyone assume a Marvel park would be like Six Flags? Is there something about the Marvel comics and films that screams 'coasters and carnival attractions only'? If anything, the Marvel adventures offer a lot more opportunities for innovative experiences than Cars or the classic cartoons do. Six Flags doesn't even make Marvel attractions, they have a licensing agreement with DC Comics. So the whole 'we don't want a carnival roller coaster Six Flags park at Disneyland' argument just makes no sense...anything they decide to base a third park around could turn out to be a carnival.

• Banned User

There are far more deserving properties, that are actual Disney movies that should get priority in a 3rd park. No Marvel.

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    There are far more deserving properties, that are actual Disney movies that should get priority in a 3rd park. No Marvel.
    What makes Marvel so undeserving?

What other properties would you consider more deserving?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    What makes Marvel so undeserving?

What other properties would you consider more deserving?
    There are few...that really do deserve a land/park more

Nintendo
    Star Wars
    Lord of the Rings

But really that's it....and even then Marvel is still on the top 5 Spiderman and Ironman are just as liked as Donald and Mickey

Heck to be fair after his cartoons what has he even really done that make's him worth the title as Disney Mascot? He does not do movies any more...or cartoons and even his last attempts were not very well received

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Why does everyone assume a Marvel park would be like Six Flags? Is there something about the Marvel comics and films that screams 'coasters and carnival attractions only'? If anything, the Marvel adventures offer a lot more opportunities for innovative experiences than Cars or the classic cartoons do. Six Flags doesn't even make Marvel attractions, they have a licensing agreement with DC Comics. So the whole 'we don't want a carnival roller coaster Six Flags park at Disneyland' argument just makes no sense...anything they decide to base a third park around could turn out to be a carnival.
    I've wondered about this too, but I can't deny the correlation. Every comic book related attraction, Marvel or DC, has been a big steel coaster. (Spiderman is the exception that proves the rule.) For whatever reason, coasters and comics just seem to go together.

Maybe it's because the young male demographic that principally supports the comic book genre is more oriented towards thrills than theme. I think about my friends who are into comic books and they have passes to Six Flags, not DL.

Now, I think if anyone can change this, it will be Disney. The question is, how motivated will they be to try? The whole reason Disney bought Marvel was to attract the aforementioned young male demographic.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• I am not a Krusty Krab

im excited as i see potential for this park to thrive

---------- Post added 06-26-2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    I've wondered about this too, but I can't deny the correlation. Every comic book related attraction, Marvel or DC, has been a big steel coaster. (Spiderman is the exception that proves the rule.) For whatever reason, coasters and comics just seem to go together.

Maybe it's because the young male demographic that principally supports the comic book genre is more oriented towards thrills than theme. I think about my friends who are into comic books and they have passes to Six Flags, not DL.

Now, I think if anyone can change this, it will be Disney. The question is, how motivated will they be to try? The whole reason Disney bought Marvel was to attract the aforementioned young male demographic.
    ha even if disney does build an amusement park with cheap thrills it still will be better, nicer and more quality than any six flags park

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

Nintendo
    Star Wars
    Lord of the Rings

But really that's it....and even then Marvel is still on the top 5 Spiderman and Ironman are just as liked as Donald and Mickey

Heck to be fair after his cartoons what has he even really done that make's him worth the title as Disney Mascot? He does not do movies any more...or cartoons and even his last attempts were not very well received
    If you want to move Marvel into TL and give Star Wars its own park then you tell me where to sign! That would be an ultimate dream come true, to give Star Wars its own park?? I could only imagine how amazing that would be! in fact I'm surprised that George Lucas never tried doing something on his own (although after ep I II and III I'm glad he didn't)

LOTR isn't Disney and I know that Disney is using Nintendo licensed characters in their new movie but I don't see Nintendo selling to Disney...then again crazier things have happened

• -

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

Nintendo
    Star Wars
    Lord of the Rings
    None of those are Disney properties. Why would an outside product “deserve” a Disney park more than a Disney product?
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Banned User

Boy, Im just not sure the DLR could handle this. Although Im not sure it couldnt either. I dont think many of you understand just how this would change the resort. Upon opening, DLR would be turned into a BONAFIDE destination resort equaling Universal Orlando. Now, couple that with the local AP's and you have absolutely MASSIVE amounts of people in a relatively small area. This would turn the resort into a vacation destination that would draw people in from every corner of America. Which is not the case now.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast