Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Barry Braverman laid off from WDI

I haven’t seen this posted anywhere else, so I guess I get to post it. A few weeks ago Barry Braverman, the number 2 Creative Executive on DCA, was laid off (in case anyone is wondering, the lead Creative Executive on DCA was Barry’s boss, Tom Fitzgerald, Executive VP for Creative Development).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Barry Braverman laid off from WDI

I really do not know who Barry is, but is that a good thing or bad thing?

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Barry was in charge of the development of DCA, Pooh, and Walt Disney Studios: France.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Barry was in charge of the development of DCA, Pooh, and Walt Disney Studios: France.

He's also a human being who worked hard at his job despite what you thought of the results. So I hope people can keep that in mind before they rip into him for his work on some of our least favorite projects.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Oh okay so he had his share of good and bad things. That's all I wanted to know. Thanks

Just because he was part of some failed projects doesn't mean that he's responisble for there failure. He was just working within the budget

• Banned User

Well, he had to develop DCA, Pooh, and Walt Disney Studios under Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss budgets-you could look at it that way.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Tom319
    Just because he was part of some failed projects doesn't mean that he's responisble for there failure. He was just working within the budget
    Sort of. Barry became a bit of a rising star among managers in the 90s because his golden goose was Innoventions, which completely renovated an area in EPCOT for almost no money on Disney's part. That basically was his baby and whether it set off a firestorm of penny-pinching within Disney or not depends on who you talk to.

FWIW, Innoventions at EPCOT was quite popular for some time. I don't believe it's Barry's fault that TDA completely forgot that their AP-heavy audience would not be as thrilled with the idea, especially as half-hearted as Innoventions West, as WDW's rotating tourist audience would be. It's also not as un-Disneylike as it would seem, as pretty much all the classic World's Fair era attractions in Disneyland were funded by someone else's dollar, like GE (Carousel) or Ford (PeopleMover.) The difference between Walt-era corporate agreements and Innoventions is that Walt had them actually invest in an actual ride that goes somewhere, not just exhibition space inside a Disney park.

• Official Mice Chat person

Well, I suppose it's somewhat good that they didn't fire someone who was in charge of say, Tokyo Disney Seas. I hope the Lay-offs end soon, and maybe WDI will someday become a stable company again...Or at least be what it once was.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Tom319
    Good guess. But wrong.

Barry was way in over his head. He was in the right place at the right time, regarding Innoventions, and knew the "right people" to help him further his career within WDI. Other than that...

Innoventions was essentially an educational exhibit, much like you would see in a technology museum that focused on advances in consumer products. Given his teaching experience prior to being hired by Imagineering (we both attended SFSU College of Education), Barry was the perfect fit for this kind of attraction at Epcot. But beyond Epcot and exhibits that educate, Barry didn't have the design background nor training suited for his position at WDI.

If certain executives hadn't been watching his backside all these years, he would have been kicked to the curb long before now.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    Well, I suppose it's somewhat good that they didn't fire someone who was in charge of say, Tokyo Disney Seas.
    Actually, they did, four years ago this month. Steve Kirk was the Sr VP, Creative Executive for TDS.

I hope the Lay-offs end soon, and maybe WDI will someday become a stable company again...Or at least be what it once was.
    Actually, layoff rumors are starting to circulate in Glendale again, for a January timeframe.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

I don't mean to bash the man and I understand that pressures he was under to create these parks but if he was the "man" he is being described as, at what point did he stand up his managers and say "wait a second, if we cut a corner here and corner there, its gonna end having to be torn down and ripped out and remade and cost us twice as much in the long run!"

I mean honestly find me one imagineer who thought Superstar Limo was worth the real estate it occupied. Everytime I read a story of DCA or any of the other parks under WDI over the last 10 years, I read stories of how the budget was reduced during the process and somehow they managed to pull something amazing off but half of the attractions and areas in many of these parks are being rebuilt and redesigned and ultimatly costing more than a solid theme and attraction in the first place.

Bravo to Barry for Innovention Epcot. Bravo for his work at the other parks. I hope he goes to work for another company where he can stand up for whats right and not for whats "cost effective."

I'm suprised that no one has figured out how this will all end up. WDI will have one or two creatives left (if that), and the rest will be execs. Then all projects will be farmed out to places like Kirk, Thinkwell, etc....

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by Super Grover
    I'm suprised that no one has figured out how this will all end up. WDI will have one or two creatives left (if that), and the rest will be execs. Then all projects will be farmed out to places like Kirk, Thinkwell, etc....
    Like Uni Creative? It's inevitable.

• Why do you keep talking?

duh, it's so much easier to blame an outside company then it is from within, even if the outside was made from within.

Good luck to Barry where ever he may end up!
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast