Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Trolley Troubles: RCT is MIA

First, I apologize for breaking up your post in a strange order.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I don't get why:

1. The Trolley doesn't go in a circular path, which I figure would mean that four or more of them could be running. I guess because of the trolley wires?

3. Where are the 1930s cars?? I would assume BVS would have other forms of transportation. I guess maybe because the street is somewhat smaller than Main Street it won't have these.
    It's not somewhat smaller than Main Street, it's ridiculously smaller. As it is the crowds alone make that street congested and tight. Add in the RCT and it's organized chaos. Adding vehicles would multiply that 10 fold.

4. Other than shops meant to move merchanise, does BVS have any cinemas or curiosity shops there mostly for show?
    That's not really their M.O. anymore. Moving merchandise is key now. Take Cars Land for example. There was plenty of opportunity to add some cool and unique shopping features but they are all mostly the same thing. BVS is really no different. I feel like if they could re-vamp Main Street and add in more generic stores to push more merchandise in replace of the unique things we have, they would.

2. Why isn't there a "train around the park", or its 1930s equivalent? DCA needs something like this as some parts of Paradise Pier guests assume nothing is there . . . You enter Disneyland and boom, you walk on the train.
    This I actually agree with you on. Something like that would have been neat!

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't get why:

1. The Trolley doesn't go in a circular path, which I figure would mean that four or more of them could be running. I guess because of the trolley wires?
    A circle means twice as much track. Where are you going to find space to run a second trolly down that same street? Where are you going to find enough space to allow the trolly to make a full circle to turn back around? (notice how big the circle is up near the theater? It has to be that size to allow for the turning radius of the trains).

2. Why isn't there a "train around the park", or its 1930s equivalent? DCA needs something like this as some parts of Paradise Pier guests assume nothing is there . . . You enter Disneyland and boom, you walk on the train.
    Trollys are street car transportation.. their purpose is to move you about town. DCA wasn't built for a train surround.. and why would you bother duplicating so much of what you have right across the esplanade?

3. Where are the 1930s cars?? I would assume BVS would have other forms of transportation. I guess maybe because the street is somewhat smaller than Main Street it won't have these.
    They are out there - just stationary. You may find citizens using more vehicles of different sorts in the future too..

4. Other than shops meant to move merchanise, does BVS have any cinemas or curiosity shops there mostly for show?
    Shopping, food, and has plenty of atmosphere and detail to soak up. The Trolly, citizens, and entertainment of the area are the show for that part of the park.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Reasons the Red Trolley has only a few runs during the day:

Because of the crowd it travels very slowly, it takes 10-15 minutes to travel each way.
    (Slower than the walking speed of the cast member in front of it.)

The Major reason is the street entertainment that stops it from running.
    8:30 am Five & Dime
    9:30 Five & Dime
    10:00 Red Car News Boys
    10:30 Five & Dime
    11:00 Red Car News Boys
    12:00 Red Car News Boys
    12:30 Five & Dime
    1:00 Red Car News Boys
    1:30 Five & Dime
    2:00 Pixar Play Parade
    3:00 Red Car News Boys
    3:30 Five & Dime
    4:00 Red Car News Boys
    4:30 Five & Dime
    5:00 Pixar Play Parade
    6:00 Five & Dime
    7:15 Five & Dime
    8:15 Five & Dime

If they can find a way to have it run when Five & Dime is performing they could double the runs.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

^ I saw it running before 10:00am this past Saturday. Your right because of the parades and the entertainment that happens, it limits the riding time guests can have. Pretty much from 10am to 6pm it doesn't run because of said entertainment. I got to ride it around 6:15pm, and it is fun. Not sure if it keeps running up till park closing though.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    ^ I saw it running before 10:00am this past Saturday. Your right because of the parades and the entertainment that happens, it limits the riding time guests can have. Pretty much from 10am to 6pm it doesn't run because of said entertainment. I got to ride it around 6:15pm, and it is fun. Not sure if it keeps running up till park closing though.
    It does run until park close. Though from 9pm-11pm, the Trolley was limited to going from ToT to Carthay Circle only since the WoC crowds during that time will congest the route from Carthay Circle to the entrance of the park.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    It does run until park close. Though from 9pm-11pm, the Trolley was limited to going from ToT to Carthay Circle only since the WoC crowds during that time will congest the route from Carthay Circle to the entrance of the park.
    Makes sense with the limited route after WoC crowd lets out. Matter of fact I do remember hearing and seeing the trolley running after I left WoC that night. I thought wow I would love to ride the trolley at night as well.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland 1951 View Post
    Reasons the Red Trolley has only a few runs during the day:

Because of the crowd it travels very slowly, it takes 10-15 minutes to travel each way.
    (Slower than the walking speed of the cast member in front of it.)

The Major reason is the street entertainment that stops it from running.
    8:30 am Five & Dime
    9:30 Five & Dime
    10:00 Red Car News Boys
    10:30 Five & Dime
    11:00 Red Car News Boys
    12:00 Red Car News Boys
    12:30 Five & Dime
    1:00 Red Car News Boys
    1:30 Five & Dime
    2:00 Pixar Play Parade
    3:00 Red Car News Boys
    3:30 Five & Dime
    4:00 Red Car News Boys
    4:30 Five & Dime
    5:00 Pixar Play Parade
    6:00 Five & Dime
    7:15 Five & Dime
    8:15 Five & Dime

If they can find a way to have it run when Five & Dime is performing they could double the runs.
    Actually it DOES run doing Five and Dime! That show does not stop it from running at all and the one and only time I was on the trolly the show was playing in Carthay Circle. But yes, obviously News Boys stops it and then the parade. This is probably why it runs until closing because half the day its basically out of commission or very limited run.

I'm guessing though after this things will slow down. There will probably be 1-2 less News Cars shows for starters and Pixar Parade may just play once a day since the parade route is SO long, pretty much everyone has space who wants to see it. Dont get me wrong, having it play twice this summer was the right move, but I dont think its needed all year long.

But yeah I wont be bothering to ride them again in the near future and if I do it will probably be in the evening when there are no shows.

• Cast Member

1. RCT can run just fine during 5 and Dime. (The music and performance adds to the BVS atmosphere)

2. It cannot run during News Boys. (The music doesn't add to the atmosphere, and the trolley in the show itself doesn't make sense)

Other than that, a circular route would be a wonderful thing. Maybe coming in the future as the mural at the TOT station advertises Paradise Pier as a destination?? Removing the option to join at CC Station would speed things up.

Also give the poor trolley a proper station at TOT like BVS, not just a sign.

A source told me that Disney's Entertainment Department helped pay for the Red Car Trolley. As a result, that horrible News Boy show plays constantly. And while playing, the second car sits idle until they're done. That would give the impression that the trolley never runs.

• Banned User

I really like the News Boys show! I'm surprised people are so down on it here.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    A circle means twice as much track. Where are you going to find space to run a second trolly down that same street? Where are you going to find enough space to allow the trolly to make a full circle to turn back around? (notice how big the circle is up near the theater? It has to be that size to allow for the turning radius of the trains).

Trollys are street car transportation.. their purpose is to move you about town. DCA wasn't built for a train surround.. and why would you bother duplicating so much of what you have right across the esplanade?

A circle means twice as much track, but that doesn't mean it has to go down BVS like the horse-drawn on Main Street, I would have designed BVS differently, perhaps routing the RCT through Hollywood pictures backlot area, back around by Muppets, heck, the RCT already goes down to TOT, might as well finish the loop. If you do this, a loop like the train, you don't need the gigantic turning circle and you could run four cars.

The RCT is more for show, than transportation, give its current configuration.

I didn't say replicate the train exactly, I would have designed an LPS "taxi" system, or something 1930s appropriate, which would be fun to ride and would go through Hollywood area and Carsland at least.

Why not have fun?

Would anybody complain if upon entering DCA you pass under a 1930's taxi-cab station where LPS taxis are guided along an electric track on a "roadway" that give you views of Carsland, PP, Hollywood? I doubt it.

---------- Post added 07-05-2012 at 04:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleAgent73 View Post

Other than that, a circular route would be a wonderful thing. Maybe coming in the future as the mural at the TOT station advertises Paradise Pier as a destination?? Removing the option to join at CC Station would speed things up.

Also give the poor trolley a proper station at TOT like BVS, not just a sign.
    I think they could do a circular route, have it go down the Hollywood area, and back towards the entrance of DCA by cutting behind the Muppets stage. Of course, they'd have to built a themed "tunnel" or whatever to hide the backstage area, but it would speed up ability of RCT to carry at least some people, maybe they could operate four or five cars at once.

If they re-do Hollywood backlot to be 1930's appropriate, then having the trolley there would look great.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-04-2012 at 08:46 PM.

• Cast Member

The Entertainment department indeed funded a good deal of the RCT project. However I hope the thousands of tourists that walk through those gates every day don't put off RCT because it never runs, and ends up hurting the RCT in the end. Specially the hundreds of us that have to go through the discourtesy of being turned away from the attraction due to entertainment.

• Fireworks Finatic!

I love the Trolleys... Both were running tonight around 8:00pm even though DCA was quite busy..

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleAgent73 View Post
    The Entertainment department indeed funded a good deal of the RCT project. However I hope the thousands of tourists that walk through those gates every day don't put off RCT because it never runs, and ends up hurting the RCT in the end. Specially the hundreds of us that have to go through the discourtesy of being turned away from the attraction due to entertainment.
    While everyone wants to get on the RCT now because it's new - over time it will be like the Main Street vehicles. They are not out all the time, you don't ride them every trip, yet people do not feel jaded if they aren't out or miss them on their trip. I think once the 'must do everything new!!' blush wears off.. RCT will be like that as well.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Well it is very fun to see the trolleys and ride the trolleys but it looks like they may have the same fate as the Jolly Trolley in Toontown (Disneyland). They will operate for a while and then they will be parked somewhere for a photo op and then that will be the end of the Red Car Trolleys. The operating cost will be too high with an extra CM walking in front of the trolley. Along with the small ridership per hour. I hope that I am wrong, but I have seen this path before. 8(

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast