Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Minion

Re: Tony Baxter's New Project for Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Other future films with park potential: "20,000 Leagues" remake (Discovery Bay? Vulcania?), "Maleficent" (Disney Villains Land?)? "Frankenweenie" (Tim Burtonland?)...
    Frankenweenie doesn't look that great to me
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

For the Frontierland expansion, I think it is going to be Oz: The Great and Powerful vs The Lone Ranger.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Insomniac

^^No contest
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Other future films with park potential: "20,000 Leagues" remake (Discovery Bay? Vulcania?), "Maleficent" (Disney Villains Land?)? "Frankenweenie" (Tim Burtonland?)...
    Rich Ross deep-sixed (pun intended) the 20,000 Leagues remake, he also cut Lone Ranger's budget from $250 to $215 million, and was behind the production stop and delays.

Under pressure, Disney film boss Ross resigns - Chicago Tribune

Disney is hoping that after the John Carter failure to launch a franchise, that Lone Ranger will be the next big series.

I guess they've got similar hopes for the Oz film, at least in terms of making some money, but realistically, an Oz ride wouldn't make that much sense as the film will probably be forgotten in a couple years even if it is a hit. A "cowboys and indians", Western River Ride could incorporate the Lone Rangers characters, but rest on the firm base of a genre of films that is well known, and from which several hits have appeared over the last decade.

• Minion

Whatever Baxter comes up with, I hope it's original. PLEASE BE ORIGINAL!

• Senior Minion

^ That'd be great, except for one thing: Disney management shows no sign of abandoning Eisner's definition that "Disneyland is all about turning Movies into Rides."

Eisner ripped off Universal's "Ride the Movies" model the day he walked in the door, and the executives he trained, like Iger and Staggs, aren't about to change it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• rebmeM roinuJ

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Disney is hoping that after the John Carter failure to launch a franchise, that Lone Ranger will be the next big series.
    Really dont see that happening, but theyre welcome to try. I still dont like that these days new attractions HAVE to be based on movies.

• Artistic integrity

Why does Disneyland have to have yet - another land?
    (Braveland? Ozland? LoneRangerland?)

What's wrong with expanding Frontierland?

Actually Frontierland shrunk .. when Nature's Wonderland, which covered 7 acres .... was replaced by the 3 acre Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

For a land that only has one major E ticket (Big Thunder), the river craft, and one saloon, .. that really is not a big land .... to do justice for the vast wild frontier.

I too remember the Discovery Bay model that sat on Main Street, and the Neverland Files website that gives pretty good detail on the story of it -

The Neverland Files: Discovery Bay

And what impressed me ... was the excellent usage of space that would have made for, not just one, but TWO E Ticket sized attractions. And still room for 3 lesser sized attractions. For a whopping 5 attractions .. soaking people in.

This doesn't even include the corner that was Cascade Peek .. which represents about 2 acres itself. Dead space .... that should be incorporated back into a natural landscape ... with a ride inside - AKA the train ride that traveled underneath the rushing waterfalls of Cascade Peek.

And with the rumors of the "spaghetti bowl" section of Tomorrowland ... I just wonder if they don't want to try to make a "sub" land out of that. But I HOPE ...... they DON'T sublet the northern flanks of Frontierland ... into, yet, ANOTHER smaller land. The park opened with 5 primary lands. Later, we got 3 smaller lands (N.O.S., Bear Country-Critter Country, and lastly Toontown) ........... for now ... I say - ENOUGH of turning Disneyland into a gazzilion mini lands (Can I say - mini-me land? ;-) ......... I'd like to see them do something more with Frontierland .... I think it deserves to be more than just Big Thunder, and a river.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-01-2012 at 03:46 PM.

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Why does Disneyland have to have yet - another land?
    (Braveland? Ozland? LoneRangerland?)

What's wrong with expanding Frontierland?

Actually Frontierland shrunk .. when Nature's Wonderland, which covered 7 acres .... was replaced by the 3 acre Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

For a land that only has one major E ticket (Big Thunder), the river craft, and one saloon, .. that really is not a big land .... to do justice for the vast wild frontier.

I too remember the Discovery Bay model that sat on Main Street, and the Neverland Files website that gives pretty good detail on the story of it -

The Neverland Files: Discovery Bay

And what impressed me ... was the excellent usage of space that would have made for, not just one, but TWO E Ticket sized attractions. And still room for 3 lesser sized attractions. For a whopping 5 attractions .. soaking people in.

This doesn't even include the corner that was Cascade Peek .. which represents about 2 acres itself. Dead space .... that should be incorporated back into a natural landscape ... with a ride inside - AKA the train ride that traveled underneath the rushing waterfalls of Cascade Peek.

And with the rumors of the "spaghetti bowl" section of Tomorrowland ... I just wonder if they don't want to try to make a "sub" land out of that. But I HOPE ...... they DON'T sublet the northern flanks of Frontierland ... into, yet, ANOTHER smaller land. The park opened with 5 primary lands. Later, we got 3 smaller lands (N.O.S., Bear Country-Critter Country, and lastly Toontown) ........... for now ... I say - ENOUGH of turning Disneyland into a gazzilion mini lands (Can I say - mini-me land? ;-) ......... I'd like to see them do something more with Frontierland .... I think it deserves to be more than just Big Thunder, and a river.
    It wouldn't be a Lone Ranger land anymore than NOS has a pirates land or Adventureland has Indiana Jones land. It fits Frontierland perfectly (unlike this ridiculous Oz land concept). I get what you're saying though. However, we don't even know for sure what, if anything, is being planned for the area so I think it's a little premature to start saying its going to be a horrible use of space with only one ride.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

It may or may not happen (Box office does factor in) but a lot of work has been done on Oz.
    The Mur

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Oz the movie or Oz the land... or both?
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Minion

I don't like this whole "land themed to 1 movie" hing needs to end... NOW its ok with ABL because its small, and there are 2 (possibly a 3rd) Cars movies. But please, lets not encourage WDI to do whole lands themed to 1 IP
    Trips coming up:

May 22-26th
    July 13th-18th
    November 19th-25th

• Sock Puppet

Unless there is a big movie to tie it in with, I seriously doubt anything in Frontierland will get the green light. LoneRanger has the best chances.

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    This thread is an interesting read. A couple of nights ago I was watching DISNEYLAND SECRETS, STORIES & MAGIC.
    Tony Baxter was narrating, on one of the versions, and he said, a few times that Frontierland was 1/3 of DL! Did you hear that, 1/3 of DL! This was during the time that the public couldn't get enough Westerns on T.V. I don't know what Tony Baxter has in mind, but if the powers to be is giving him his last project, I hope they are also giving him wide latitude to do what he wants to do.
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678