Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is anyone REALLY Surprised that the Autopia is on the chopping block?

no not surprised, actually kind of glad it is going along with the innoventions building. Lots of land there to build something much more interesting.

I am surprised that a smaller version of autopia was not integrated into Carsland though. A midget autopia for the little ones would have been cool

• Musical Fireman

Frankly I believe Autopia lost relevance long before Chevron. When it debuted it represented the future of interstate highways which President Eisenhower had yet to sign the deal to create. When highways became more in use Autopia lost relevance. So ya I'm not all that surprised.

See ya wakin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Autopia takes up a HUGE amount of land, now that Carsland is open it really makes the ride obsolite. I enjoyed it as a kid, but the demographic is from say age 5 to age 10... after that it's lame. The cars are slow and it's smelly.
    In a world where you can go go-cart racing in almost any town, I do nothing think the experience is ultra valuable. One of the reasons for going to Disneyland is to experiance rides and environments that I can not/do not get where I live.

Innoventions, It is a waste of space and the "tomorrow" factor, to showcase new technology isn't maintained. We were laughing just last weekend that the "House of the future" is now more like "the house of 2010" and Asimo is cool but once you have seen the show, there is no reason to go back again.

I find the demo of the submarines surprising from the standpoint of it being popular and likable to many but from a park standpoint it is unimpressive, taking up A LOT of space, the loading and unloading takes a long time and the ride queue moves slow.

Personally, I am excited to see what Disney has in store for the not so futuristic Tomorrowland.

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    no not surprised, actually kind of glad it is going along with the innoventions building. Lots of land there to build something much more interesting.

I am surprised that a smaller version of autopia was not integrated into Carsland though. A midget autopia for the little ones would have been cool
    I wrote a post about this a long time ago... Radiator Springs Elementary... (RSR meets Autopia) It would be neat... But then there would be 3 "childish" rides in Cars Land and people would compare it even more to Bugs Land.

@FromMatterhorn on Twitter & Instagram

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

On another thread someone posted a picture from Google Maps of all the land this would free up (If they took out the Subs, Autopia, Fantasia Gardens area, and the Carousel Theater. and WOW that's a lot of space. It looked like it was bigger than Fantasyland (Although I could be wrong about that). You could put a whole new land back there!

With that said, I hope they keep the Subs :/

I'll bet, though, that it won't all be devoted to Tomorrowland. I think we'll see a Fantasyland expansion in there somewhere too.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I was not surprised, but the Subs removal was what shocked me
    You can not remove one without the other. The subs, monorail and Autopia are all right on top of each other.

What shocks me more is them moving this fast. We know that they have wanted to improve Tomorrowland but to spend so much money after spending so much on the DCA is a little surprising. Normally you would see a break while they reap in the dollars from the DCA.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    What shocks me more is them moving this fast. We know that they have wanted to improve Tomorrowland but to spend so much money after spending so much on the DCA is a little surprising. Normally you would see a break while they reap in the dollars from the DCA.
    Ill bet this is a direct result of Universal getting Potter. They are supposed to start Potter end of this year/beginning of next year (Hopefully) and DL will need to kick their next phase into gear fairly quickly to compete with it.

• Hooterville, USA

"It's old and tired and takes up too much land".

Well who cares what old people think, Autopia is for kids that can't drive! They're the ones that love to drive the cars and grow up one day to drive and own their grownup cars.

Kids love them and that's what really matters!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark View Post
    Ill bet this is a direct result of Universal getting Potter. They are supposed to start Potter end of this year/beginning of next year (Hopefully) and DL will need to kick their next phase into gear fairly quickly to compete with it.
    I hope this doesn't mean they're going to rush through R&D and put a sub-par attraction out there. I'd rather have two crappy yet classic attractions than one new crappy attraction that holds no nostalgic value with me.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Quote Originally Posted by peagreen View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean they're going to rush through R&D and put a sub-par attraction out there. I'd rather have two crappy yet classic attractions than one new crappy attraction that holds no nostalgic value with me.
    I doubt they'll rush through R&D. My guess is that whatever they put out there they've had in development for a while now.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    "It's old and tired and takes up too much land".

Well who cares what old people think, Autopia is for kids that can't drive! They're the ones that love to drive the cars and grow up one day to drive and own their grownup cars.

Kids love them and that's what really matters!
    Yes, I agree. There seems to be a lot of "well I'm tired of it so it's time for it to go" going around. I love Autopia as an adult. It's not the same as driving a real car. My kid loves Autopia and it has nothing to do with nostalgia, since he's 3 and doesn't even understand nostalgia. I ride it when I'm there by myself. I don't understand why they would take down two attractions that are still so popular.

The Autopia was a pretty novel concept back in the 50's & 60's, "Hey kids. Do you want to drive your own car just like Mom & Dad?" Nowadays, there's probably a go-kart track within twenty minutes of your house, and let's face it, go-karts are more exciting than the Autopia because you're neither constrained to a guide rail or a 5 mph speed limit.

Plus whenever I walk past the Autopia I feel like I'm gagging on the gasoline fumes.

• "I Break Things"

not shocked but surprised that WDI's only "solution" was to scrap it entirely. You'd think by now they'd have electric vehicles (like Mars Rover) and alien landscapes... speaking of which why wasn't JPL brought in on this? As a Guest how cool would it be to drive through a Martian landscape and know that the Mars Rover will be driving over the real thing?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

A common sentiment I'm seeing throughout this thread (as far as Autopia goes) is "Refresh, don't replace."
    If that were indeed the case, I would demand larger cars. I am physically unable to ride because of my height (I'm 6'5" and simply do not fit in the cars).
    Otherwise, rip it out since I can't ride it anyway.

• Hello Dolly.

I'm excited to see it all go.
    Walt said the park will always grow, and I'm sorry to say Autopia just isn't as excited for today's audience as it was back then.

Especially since the whole land can be made into so much more. Sucks to hear about the Subs. They were nice but once again they could have done a lot better.

I'm sure whatever they have planned, if this rumor is true, will be amazing!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast