Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Is anyone REALLY Surprised that the Autopia is on the chopping block?

Kids love it so it belongs in the parks, though not in Tomorrowland as there's nothing Tomorrow about it. They should have designed Autopia into the design of Carsland from the beginning. It should have interwoven with the other attractions, much as it interweaves with neighboring attractions now. The cars should have been made electric and styled to characters in the "Cars" films. The cars should talk to you and say funny things at random or whenever you do something. Kids would adore an Autopia themed to "Cars" and they should have integrated it into the design of Carsland in the first place. Autopia is no longer relevant where it is presently located. But to remove it completely would be a mistake. It belongs in Carsland.

• Monorail Junkie

I would be very surprised if they dont keep a version of Autopia. Every park has a version and they are popular. I would like to see an electric car version with a new sponser since chevrons has ended. I would not say theme it to cars since it would be placed in Tomorrowland but something futuristic would be great.

My 4yr old loves it also. It is one of the rides that makes him feel like a bigger kid and can do something that mom and dad can do.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I was not surprised, but the Subs removal was what shocked me
    Autopia sucks so bad, has nothing to do with Tomorrow, and takes up so much valuable real estate. If you want to ride go karts go to a local recreational center or play Mario Kart.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I wanna ride an autopia car on a paved people mover track. Maybe thats why WDI keeps rejecting my applications.

What I'm actually curious about is what's going to happen to the monorail. If both Autopia and the Subs are removed, wouldn't they have some trouble working around it? And if they do leave it as it is, the station will just be sitting there in between the old and the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Autopia sucks so bad, has nothing to do with Tomorrow, and takes up so much valuable real estate. If you want to ride go karts go to a local recreational center or play Mario Kart.
    But a space toy, a story that actually takes place in the PAST, and a rocket spinner ride do? And that's in addition to what's already on the chopping block from Best Buy.. err.. Innoventions, and the subs fish ride. From that perspective, pretty much nothing in Tomorrowland should be there right now.

Might as well tear out the whole land because if I can go ride a go-kart somewhere in my city, why stop there? I can play a shooter type game on my PC or gaming console. I can go the fair and ride a spinner attraction. I will just watch Star Wars at home and have someone push me around in my computer chair to simulate the action. This actually may not be such a bad idea! I can experience the whole of Tomorrowland at home!!
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    It disturbs me somewhat that everyone thinks that the Submarine Voyage maybe getting the axe. This rumor doesn't make any sense. Not after all the money Disney spent on refurbing the attraction a few years ago. And especially not after the fact the ride is still popular. Now if they have to close the Submarine Voyage temporarily while they reworked Autopia, that makes a little more sense.
    Agreed! As if the operating costs would be worse than tearing it down and building a new ride in its place on top of the operating costs of the new ride!

I personally hope this rumor is true, but I will believe it when it is officially announced. As of right now, the submarines remain an increadibly popular attraction. I also do not necessarily buy into the fact that Disney Imagineering cannot find a way to keep the subs, but axe the autopia.

Like I said, personally I think there is a LOT that could be done with tommorrowland. Innoventions is an absolute joke and the theming is just entirely off at this point. When you have Star Wars, Tron, Treasure Planet, Marvel, Avatar, Wall-E and a host of other better-themed franchises at your finger tips, finding nemo, kid cars, a michael Jackson movie from the 80s and even buzz lightyear seem really lame.

• Banned User

The rumor on Screamscape seems to just be echoing Al's column, and it just mentions the cars and Innoventions and people mover track, not a word about subs.

They could utilize the people mover "foot-prints" as well as build new support columns for an attraction which has a line in Innoventions and a dark portion part of the ride in what is Innoventions/Autopia queue, and then have the ride shoot around the former Autopia track . . .

But if they are *just* closing Autopia and Innovention, then it might be to demolish Innoventions for an attraction on this foot print and rebuilding a new people mover track to access it, AND that they are upgrading Autopia to electric like in Hong Kong.

I don't think it is going to happen as Al said they are looking at both Frontierland and Tomorrowland, and as noted in another thread, Tony Baxter is involved in the next big project, and I can't see him ripping out the subs as he was involved with Nemo and taking it out after operating less than seven years looks real bad.

Look at the headlines: "Disney demolishes two classic Disney attractions, one which was an updated submarine ride featuring Nemo and his friends." If Pixar is even thinking about making Nemo 2, they'd shoot themselves in the leg to rip out this attration. Not every attraction needs to be a people eater! Some attractions cost more to maintain simply because they are built differently, its about not hindering creativity based on the budget!

Plus consider all of the bad press if Disney removed a couple of attractions Walt put in, like Autopia and the subs. Like people have said, kids love the Autopia, my five year old niece loved it. There are going to be upset fans . . . its not a democracy, if 55% of fans approve, and 45% hate the changes, then the haters will be upset and might not come back as it makes Disneyland look less kid friendly.

It looks like Tony is working on a Frontierland expansion, there is plenty of land up near Circle D and former mine train cars, if a backstage area and trees are removed, you get greatly increased ride capacity/crowd capacity and no complaints from guests.

While everybody complains about Autopia, if they made the cars electric like in Hong Kong, (and perhaps made them look like the Mars rovers or a Wall-E creation) and added perhaps an alien or futuristic landscape, you'd see even APers wait three hours to ride it!

So Tony Baxter is working on the Disneyland expansion . . . and he put in the subs, and the expansion hinges on the profitability of an upcoming film (most likely Lone Ranger) . . . hmmm. I think I know what is going to happen

FRONTIERLAND EXPANSION!!!
    Last edited by chesirecat; 06-29-2012 at 09:41 PM.

This better just be one dang vicious rumor....This is an iconic part of Tomorrowland and doesn't deserve an unceremonious departure such as THAT. If they DO decide to give Autopia the axe, then they better give it a sendoff that it deserves, like they did with Main Street Electrical Parade. Anything less than that is a slap in the face to the generations of kids who grew up on this ride.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRacingNut View Post
    This better just be one dang vicious rumor....This is an iconic part of Tomorrowland and doesn't deserve an unceremonious departure such as THAT. If they DO decide to give Autopia the axe, then they better give it a sendoff that it deserves, like they did with Main Street Electrical Parade. Anything less than that is a slap in the face to the generations of kids who grew up on this ride.
    I can't believe that Disney would axe a ride that has Fast-Pass and according to my five year old niece, was her favorite ride in the park and the one that she hand picked to ride after walking around the park (she actually saw it from the train and screamed to ride it NOW!).

I know she's not alone. Plenty of families not listening to the updates on Screamscape will be pretty upset if they show up in Tomorrowland and find that the Autopia was demolished.

They have a Carsland commercial showing kids riding little cars to Carsland. If parents with little kids aren't able to ride something like this with their kids, it is almost false advertising on Disney's part. Autopia is an iconic part of Disneyland, every little kid under the age of getting a driver's permit loves the ride.

APers are a different breed, and from what I hear, TDA wants more once every couple of years visitors, for them the Autopia is a perfect ride, you get to relax and soak in views of the Matterhorn and sub-lagoon.

People like us who comment on message boards have had dozens, if not hundreds of opportunities to ride Autopia. By about the fiftieth time it gets boring, but if you're taking your kid on their first drive on the Autopia, it is no doubt a new and fun experience as the "new fun" is watching the kid ride it.

A Frontierland expansion will upset nobody as I doubt anybody has a "favorite pine tree" in the back of Thunder Ranch that they would be devastated if it was moved. Plus, if they demolished Autopia/subs/maybe re-route monorail, for an E-ticket and a D-ticket . . . the ride capacity would be about the same, oh and they would have a longer line, like for Splash, and a big open area for more "crowd capacity", not much more ride capacity.

If they expand Frontierland, they get probably four times the ride capacity as nobody is riding 'nothing in that area of the park as it is undeveloped. For anybody who has done the math, the Tomorrowland change doesn't make sense, except perhaps from an artistic standpoint and wanting to P.O. a lot of guests with little kids for no reason.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    But a space toy, a story that actually takes place in the PAST, and a rocket spinner ride do? And that's in addition to what's already on the chopping block from Best Buy.. err.. Innoventions, and the subs fish ride. From that perspective, pretty much nothing in Tomorrowland should be there right now.

Might as well tear out the whole land because if I can go ride a go-kart somewhere in my city, why stop there? I can play a shooter type game on my PC or gaming console. I can go the fair and ride a spinner attraction. I will just watch Star Wars at home and have someone push me around in my computer chair to simulate the action. This actually may not be such a bad idea! I can experience the whole of Tomorrowland at home!!
    Don't forget Star Wars takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Thus putting Star Tours in the past.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

NOOOOOOO i am SO bad with change, and autopia makes me sosososooso happy. i will be devastated, although i think i stand alone with that opinion.

• Hot FIRE!

Realizing now that even though they're not the same as they were opening day, the Subs and Autopia are the last remnants of Walt's own designs for Tomorrowland attractions. Sad to know as buzz has been going around a lot as to what will happen next year. I'd be happy if they retool to only take up a fraction of the space.

...As I see it

• ironically Otaku

in a T.A.R.D.I.S. traveling time and space and skipping all the boring parts, now with braces.

It's a bit unexpected, but no it doesn't really surprise me. To tell you the truth, I am glad to see the ride go. It has next to nothing to offer teens and even less to offer adults.I doubt little kids truly like it as much as every one says they do. I am looking forward to this change, I think it is one for the better.
    So. Zetta. SLOW!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast