Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

Re: Is anyone REALLY Surprised that the Autopia is on the chopping block?

I'm finding the Sub removal doubtful now considering the new Finding Nemo Blu-Ray will have a documentary featurette on them.

http://pixartimes.com/2012/06/28/pre...cial-features/
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    I'm finding the Sub removal doubtful now considering the new Finding Nemo Blu-Ray will have a documentary featurette on them.

Preview: ‘Finding Nemo’ Blu-ray Special Features
    I really like Nemo, and missed it when the subs were gone. Yeah, the old ride was more geared for adults, but adjusted for ticket price inflation, Nemo is Pixar's #1 film of all time.

The Nemo ride in Epcot is better, IMHO, though the Subs could be reworked to swap out of the port-holes for a long transparent plexiglass window, if that is a problem for some. I love being able to look out under the sea, I think the biggest problem is the wait time, though that has improved from the hours and hours when it first opened.

There's just something about waiting in line for the subs at the lagoon with the Matterhorn in the background and the monorail zooming over head that says "this is Disneyland" . . .

Given that the subs are all electric, this must have decreased maintenance costs, electric cars don't have the same oil change/engine maintenance of gas/diesel vehicles.

I'd be sad if they removed the subs, though I think I would be sadder if not for all the sub-bashing that happens on fan sites, though I guess we all bash rides we don't like.

• Minion

Don't ever ride 'em, but would be a little sad to see them go. The next attraction in line of those I was trained on as a new Cast Member to enter Yesterland.

See, I like the subs, when compared to the Autopia, because chances are you can't find a whimsical submarine ride at your neighborhood family fun center. I would hate it if Disney tore out the subs and replaced them with some generic bumper boat attraction.

• Photographer-In-Training

Not being able to drive yet, I enjoy this ride, plus the theming in it makes it enjoyable. This ride is a classic, although it isn't the way Walt had it since it has changed, so not really classic. I say don't gut it completely, just make it a denser track, I would hate to see it go it has a long line constantly and I'm assuming with all the cars on the track it has a high passenger count.

Also, on the subs being on the chopping block, I remember seeing this ride open a few years ago, I would hate to see such a new ride getting taken out of the park so quickly. I was little when I rode it and loved it, haven't ridden it for a few years, but I remember I thought it was the coolest thing ever. It is dangerous, however, in case of an emergency.

My conclusion here is that I want both of the rides to stay, with Autopia getting some update to it.
    -Carter P.

With all the Autopia doom and gloom rumors here I figured I'd better ride it a couple of times, "just in case." It really covers a great deal of space and in certain spots I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. There's an empty field with a drainage ditch running through it, something you don't usually see in Disneyland. There's also a tribute statue to the "Midget Autopia" in the back that's a very nice touch.

• Just good enough

Definitely not surprised to see Autopia on the chopping block, it's one of the parks longstanding rides (since its inception really) and now it really does live in the past with all the advancements made in fuel efficiency. I'd love to see cars that are perhaps solar powered with a backup generator of some kind in case of cloudy/rainy days.

But if Autopia goes, so do the subs since they run underneath Autopia. I'm more shocked to see the subs on the chopping block considering the refurb they just went through a short while ago. The Nemo attraction, however, I'm no big fan of. The seats are far too small and staring through that porthole makes my eyes hurt after awhile watching everything pass by.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

• Minion

Much as adults like to sound hip by dissing the quaint nature of Autopia, the truth is on the faces of the little kids driving the cars -- I rode overhead on the Monorail a few weeks ago and looked down into every car as I passed, and literally every pre-driving age kid was beaming from ear-to-ear (moreso than they are coming out of far more "advanced" attractions) -- just a fact, and not one of nostalgia. Autopia was ever quaint, even as far back as the 60's, but kids who were not yet driving loved it - - and that experience doesn't really look any different today. Sometimes simple pleasures and perceptions rule the day. Walt knew that. It's part of what Disneyland is about.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-01-2012 at 02:11 PM.

• Minion

My six year old loves Autopia... but I'm pretty sure he would love an E-Ticket TRON attraction more.

• Minion

>>...I'm pretty sure he would love an E-Ticket TRON attraction more.<<

Or the usual D-Ticket.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-01-2012 at 02:19 PM.

I went on Autopia once around 1975 when I was 7 years old and I hated it. But I'm pessimistic about any changes they make. The last new ride at Disneyland that I liked was Splash Mountain back in 1989. All the new rides since then I've gone on no more than once.

• Sondheimian

I wasn't surprised about Autopia and Innoventions, especially seeing how much space they take up. It's freaking huge! I was surprised about the Subs, though. Only 5 years old, and they're already talking about removing it.

• AKA - DisneyChris

What I would like to see happen to this area of Tomorrowland is NOT to remove Autopia, but to make it better. This can be achieved by

A - bringing in new electric cars. This could be a true showcase of tomorrow's transportation if they do. It could show how cars of the future will no longer run on gas.

and

B - add more interesting things to see along the route. I would love to see them add more signs with tongue and cheek advertisements about future stuff. Or even better, have the cars ride through a city of the future, with scaled down facades that look like a metropolis of tomorrow.

In addition I would also use the area once occupied by the Motor Boat Cruise to bring in Aquatopia - This is a popular attraction at Tokyo DisneySea that uses passenger operated boats, and I hear it is a lot of fun. It would fill the void left after motor boats left. Although the boats were not very exciting. They did add to the aesthetic of the area. With boats PeopleMover Cars, Autopia Cars, Monorails, skyway buckets, and submarines, the area was always alive with kinetic energy, and it is not like that so much any more.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234