Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

Is anyone REALLY Surprised that the Autopia is on the chopping block?

I understand that people like it and that parents like taking their kids on it, but its been around since the park opened, and they haven't really done anything exciting with it since. The cars are still loud, and stinky, the peddles are a little tough to keep pressed down for the whole trip. The center guide rail is a pain when you bang against it.

The main compliments that people seem to give is either they want their kids to experience the same fun that they experienced when they were young, or Its a classic Disney attraction that's been around since the park opened, or Kids still love it! Honestly though, I think the main reason people like it is nostalgia. It was something they liked when they were young and they want their kids to experience it too...but it takes up a LOT of land that can built upon.

I personally have no love for the Autopia, it hasn't been "Walt's" Autopia for over a decade so I'm not really sure where the nostalgia stems from, but I personally cant wait to see what they do with the space

BTW, Screamscape reported this today:

Tomorrowland Update - Rumor - (6/29/12) An anonymous tip sent in to Screamscape confirms that the word going around Disneyland is that Innoventions and Autopia are very likely to be walled off by this time next summer as they work to remove them, along with the old Peoplemover track around this area as well.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Re: Is anyone REALLY Surprised that the Autopia is on the chopping block?

Is anyone REALLY Surprised that the Autopia is on the chopping block?

NO!

• I am not a Krusty Krab

no not really

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Minion

Okay I'll admit that when I read Al's article I was a tad surprised. But when he claimed that the subs were also supposedly on the chopping block it made sense. Basically the subs stink and they're tied into valuable land. Chop chop.

• Jedi Knight

As much as the kids love Autopia, I can't love it.. I think it's because I drive everyday anyway, it's just, why do I want to be behind the wheel...again!? I would love for Tomorrowland to get a whole new look...

Not really...

Now the subs on the other hand, I was a bit shocked to find out about.

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

I think people will be OK with losing the Autopia if something really cool replaces it.
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

• film975

It disturbs me somewhat that everyone thinks that the Submarine Voyage maybe getting the axe. This rumor doesn't make any sense. Not after all the money Disney spent on refurbing the attraction a few years ago. And especially not after the fact the ride is still popular. Now if they have to close the Submarine Voyage temporarily while they reworked Autopia, that makes a little more sense.

• Mice Chatter

It doesn't make sense... it makes Dollars!!! Lol

• "What? What?"

I am not surprised. 6 years ago my wife (then gf) and I were about to board cars on utopia, and I was talking about the burning fuel smell. My wife replied well they are cars so it’s the gas. And even though I could smell it, and it’s obvious, I kept saying, "No, there are no way they run all of these off gas, that’s so bad, and must be expensive, and a lot of engine up keep. I asked the CM who replied, yes they run on gas.

This was 6 years ago. They have no upgraded them to electric, or hydro, or natural gas or anything??!?! (I know, Chevron was the sponsor so that wouldn't happen.) But 6 years have passed and nothing has been done?!?!

It all makes sense now... they knew it was doomed, but why not let it soak up guests while the company is focused across the esplanade... I am so excited to see what comes next.

Now looking at my post... it would have made for a cool ride, if they upgraded the cars to each of the energy sources I listed. You never know if you'll get the hydro car, or the electric, or the natural gas. And then you can all laugh at the one guy in your group who gets stuck with the old gas car.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

I'm pretty surprised actually. I love the ride! Not only that but I've been a passenger to many youngin's driving this one and it's something that really puts a smile on their face just for being able to drive. Shorten the track? Change up the cars? Sure, go ahead. But I would hate to see it gutted completely.
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• "What? What?"

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff Lightyear View Post
    I'm pretty surprised actually. I love the ride! Not only that but I've been a passenger to many youngin's driving this one and it's something that really puts a smile on their face just for being able to drive. Shorten the track? Change up the cars? Sure, go ahead. But I would hate to see it gutted completely.
    The problem is though, it takes up too much room. It would be nice to have a expierence for little ones to drive cars, but it takes up too much room.
    @FromMatterhorn on Twitter

• Done with MC.

Not surprised about Autopia but a little saddened even though I have only a little desire to ride it anymore. This is a very popular ride with the kids though and I would rather see it reconfigured into a denser layout rather than be scrapped altogether.
    As far as the subs are concerned I personally don't think for one minute they are going away soon.

I am surprised, but only because I thought Disney would never do this.

Do I agree with getting rid of it? Absolutely!!

It's old, tired, and worn out. It takes up a lot of valuable room.

Again, I didn't think Disney would ever agree with me on this one, but hopefully finally it is true

• Minion

I was not surprised, but the Subs removal was what shocked me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast