Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Change the Jungle Cruise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    personally I'd rather see Disney invest the money in a decent PA system in the boats.
    This.

And give control of skip hiring, training and spiel enforcement to someone who understands the heart & soul of the attraction... then get management to bug out and leave him alone. (You know who my choice would be for that position! )
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Very good points, tech.....everything can be improved, after all. Sad they didn't listen about things which effect guests like the P.A. and sound issues, even apart from making the job easier for their employees.
    Jungle has always bred a self sufficient attitude. A lot of the CM's that enjoy being there, and are there on a consistent basis, are very resourceful individuals. Unfortunately their talents are not always recognized. A LOT of the better Leads and Managers I've known over the years are from Jungle.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

I love Jungle but the only time i honestly laughed till it hurt was a skip who ended up being fired for his jokes. Not a single joke he told was offensive. There's something about the passion and excitement of hearing off script jokes. I've heard one or two before but this was an entire boat, and every single joke was funnier than the last.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    I love Jungle but the only time i honestly laughed till it hurt was a skip who ended up being fired for his jokes. Not a single joke he told was offensive. There's something about the passion and excitement of hearing off script jokes. I've heard one or two before but this was an entire boat, and every single joke was funnier than the last.
    Bingo. What Jungle needs is management that recognizes the value of skips like that one, and uses them as a resource to raise the performance bar for the basic spiel and for all the other skips. I've long thought that Jungle management should be drawn from the ranks of the best skips -- those who are talented ad libbers and joke writers, and who also have the people skills for holding together the staff and keeping them motivated. The ones who can do the balancing act of knowing when to yank back on the reins and when to let 'em go loose. That kind of person is pretty rare -- it's hard to find them and easy to lose them... and when you do, it's even harder to get 'em back.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 06-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Luckily i managed to record the boat we're on so i'll aways have it to remember.

"YOU PUT THAT GUN DOWN YOU DARN DIRTY APE! DONT YOU SHAKE YOUR HEAD AT ME MR WIGGLES, YOU'LL GET NO BANANAS!"

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    I love the Jungle Cruise, though I do admit some of the skippers could do a better job.
    They are what make the ride, after you've been on it a few times, and it's supposed to be funny every time and I've found many a skipper who doesn't care too much and lazily rolls the jokes off their tongue.

As for the rest of the ride, I think it's great and maybe needs a little TLC but otherwise in great shape. And besides, I think 99% of the people on this website/ the public would beg to differ with you because it's a classic ride.
    the line for the ride is very short lately even on crowded days, this would not sit well with Walt, the ride doesnt need change but it needs a little updating and refresh, even if its just one thing

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Non-Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Bingo. What Jungle needs is management that recognizes the value of skips like that one, and uses them as a resource to raise the performance bar for the basic spiel and for all the other skips. I've long thought that Jungle management should be drawn from the ranks of the best skips -- those who are talented ad libbers and joke writers, and who also have the people skills for holding together the staff and keeping them motivated. The ones who can do the balancing act of knowing when to yank back on the reins and when to let 'em go loose. That kind of person is pretty rare -- it's hard to find them and easy to lose them... and when you do, it's even harder to get 'em back.
    I couldn't agree more

I remember going on it twice in one day and the first skip we had KILLED it...literally had my eyes watering from laughing so hard. during the second trip it was like the skipper couldn't get done with the ride fast enough
    "If you were thinking, you wouldn't have thought that"

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I know, but in a 7.5 minute ride that relies HEAVILY on hearing the spiel, that should be one of the easiest things to "refurb".

Sorry to Miss Monroe for the hijack.
    nah go for it, this is very interesting

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by christianAdam View Post
    I couldn't agree more

I remember going on it twice in one day and the first skip we had KILLED it...literally had my eyes watering from laughing so hard. during the second trip it was like the skipper couldn't get done with the ride fast enough
    Which means, though you can sometimes get a dud, the Jungle Cruise remains the attraction with the most variety from one ride to the next. Better than any amount of variable destinations you can add to Star Tours, the Jungle Cruise is different every time.

I had the most amazing skipper back in May. I literally laughed until I cried for the first time in my life. I'd say about 20% of the spiel came from the script -- and it was pure magic.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

why was he fired? which jokes?

• Banned User

Captain mikey was already on thin ice with management and he was actually leaving the company anyway but i made the mistake of posting the audio....here. Management got a hold of it and he was told that he would not be able to do a "last boat". I saw him after the whole thing and hung out and i apologized but Mikey said they weren't going to let him anyway and that he was happier that he had a recording of one of his off script boats. I don't think it was the content as much as proof that he wasn't using the script.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

so where is this audio?

• Banned User

I have it at home and i can send it to you if you'd like

• "I Break Things"

Captain mikey was already on thin ice with management and he was actually leaving the company anyway but i made the mistake of posting the audio....here. Management got a hold of it and he was told that he would not be able to do a "last boat". I saw him after the whole thing and hung out and i apologized but Mikey said they weren't going to let him anyway and that he was happier that he had a recording of one of his off script boats. I don't think it was the content as much as proof that he wasn't using the script.
    Not exactly. The ability to do a last trip was always a privilege. In his case the flyer for his last trip is what did him in. The audio didn't help (and to your credit there was no way of knowing that it would get him in trouble), but the "final straw" was the flyer... not the audio. If you see him ask him what Jungle and Opera have in common.

When a Skip is brand new they stick to the spiel they were trained on. While the individual Skip has some say over their chosen spiel, the trainer has a great deal of influence over which jokes are chosen. Some Skips eventually develop a level of comfort and branch out to new jokes. Some find that Jungle is not to their liking and they leave for another attraction. It gets difficult when you have an influx of brand new Skips and only a handful of trainers. That's when you can get multiple boats all reciting the same jokes in the same scenes. I tried to get all the trainers around the table to hash this out. My "hope" was that each would have their own training spiel... so that their respective trainees had a different comfort blanket to hold for the first few months.

I enjoyed Jungle, still do. It brings back a lot of memories and my perspective when I do ride is extremely skewed. I usually don't ride with friends, and I don't identify myself. I like to close my eyes, listen to the spiel, and just take in the experience. People always ask my "opinion". Honestly; different management, different time, different crew. Each crew "grows into" their role at Jungle. They believe they are the best, that they are legends, and that they will be remembered always. It doesn't happen, but they need to believe that. It empowers them to give you the best experience possible.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-29-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast