Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• AKA - DisneyChris

Re: People Mover Removal

I think the idea is like the GOP with Health Care - repeal and replace lol I think they probably would have to rebuild the track in order to have a ride operate in the same space since it is such disrepair - they are obviously not going to leave it like that forever. Eventually something will replace it. But I dont think it will just be torn and not rebuilt. The fact that they are tearing down the track does not mean the final demise of the PM - it could mean it's rebirth.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Minion

Take it down rebuild a new layout and like was stated earlier use it for a futuristic electric autopia in the sky
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• film975

Sometimes I think people give OSHA too much credit as the reason why the People Mover hasn't come back. Most likely it's just that Disney hasn't figured out yet what they're gonna do with it. And remember that the rumor about the subs being removed is just rumor. I highly doubt that's actually going to happen.

• Banned User

The People Mover loading station, and what used to be the Astrojets above it, are an iconic symbol of Tomorrowland. Then they moved the rockets in front, almost to cover up the unused People Mover track.

I think that if they are going to "fix" Tomorrowland they need to finally decide what to do with this area, tear it down, or repurpose it, right?

I would be sad if they totally took out the People Mover Track and replaced it with nothing as it provides shade and still looks futuristic, from some respects. I mean, in the future aren't there supposed to be all sorts of people movers and electric transportation gliding around cities on elevated walkways? If they totally remove the People Mover track, and don't replace it, then tomorrowland will look more like just a collection of buildings, like Epcot's future world.

I don't believe that OSHA guidelines are what is preventing a repurposed attraction. Stairways every 25 feet? Sounds overly dramatic, a way to blame somebody else other than themselves as Rocket Rods was a gigantic failure as they didn't spend the money to reinforce the tracks. And now they won't build "stairs". If enclosed in side of some sort of structure it would work, but I don't for a second believe the every 25 feet nonsense.

As long as guests can't fall, i.e. "there are handrails", then they can be evacuated to designated areas where there are stairs. All sorts of attractions are built today where if the ride stops, then guests have to be evacuated by a firetruck, i.e. if something gets stuck upside down.

Tomorrowland, IMHO, needs a ride which weaves around Tomorrowland and looks futuristic. If they tear down Innoventions, then the People Mover can be used for the load/unload station, and the Innoventions area could be used for a "dark ride" portion of the ride, similar to RSR. If they did Tron cars which glowed with fluorescent paint/other technology at night, this would add to the atmosphere of Tomorrowland greatly. Or they could theme it to one of the dozens and dozens of vehicles shown in the Star Wars films.

• Heavy Breather

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidspaceman View Post
    From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    I think there has been more threads on the People Mover than any other subject (maybe Innoventions). I want to know if the people Mover was running continuously, to this day, would those newer OSHA requirements be applicable? And how is the PM track different then the Monorail? God forbid, if the Monorail was down for 10 years, would OSHA require them to have stairs every 20' before running again?
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    Thats what people keep saying, that if by some godly miracle the PM reopened, there would have to be staircases every 20 feet or so. So I'm glad its not reopening in any way because the staircases would make it look ugly. Or some idiots would climb up there thinking it's the entrance and get themselves run over.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Artistic integrity

I think this has to be my number one concern than anything else in the Disney theme park empire. The fate of the PM tracks in Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

A defunct track, since the Rocket Rods officially ended their run - September 2000. In a couple of months will be the 12th anniversary of a barren track spanning 4,000 feet.

So ... for a decade now ... We had plenty of rumors .. and some wild Blue Sky (concept) ideas ... such as this:

All from Scot Drake at last years D23 EXPO......

And this is not BLUE-SKYING for Disneyland ... but I have to show it ... it's so cool - A "Meet The Robinsons" inspired Tomorrrowland for WDW........

So ... while all this is purely BLUE SKY CONCEPT DESIGNS (Meaning ... none of this is based on any reality of being built, just the imagineers allowed to come up with ideas .. no matter how wild or impractical) .... We can know this for sure ....

They ARE thinking about the PM track debacle .. and what they can do with it.

I am, though, very confused about what's happening.

Last year, there were reports that they had absolutely no intention of re-creating a PM inspired attraction .. and leave a future remodeled Tomorrowland a random collection of buildings .. not tied to any sort of over-head ride .. connecting them all.

Just to hear, later, a new plan: the Innovention's building being re-used .. along with at least part of the PM track for something (?).

And more recently .... per Al Lutz .... the subs, Autopia, AND the Innovention's building .... earmarked for demolition.

One person said ... (Paraphrasing) "Tony Baxter wants the PM tracks gone for good" ........... Another person says he said - "We will recreate some sort of PM type of ride"

I don't know who or what to believe anymore.

They probably don't know themselves.

I would not doubt there is a tug of war going on .. amongst key WDI officials ... about what to do with the PM track.

And if there is a chance this topic is being read from some of those key WDI officials ... I'd love them to hear this:

A Tomorrowland without a ride, circling the land, riding high above, second story, is a step backwards!

What's a 'tomorrow' land without kinetics?

in the future aren't there supposed to be all sorts of people movers and electric transportation gliding around cities on elevated walkways? If they totally remove the People Mover track, and don't replace it, then tomorrowland will look more like just a collection of buildings, like Epcot's future world.
    Imagine the possible: A Tomorrowland redesigned ... to go back to it's earlier design scheme (like it was 1955-1966) ... A random collection of buildings. A land devoid of any overhead, sleek ride circling the land.

That sounds like a layout ... that's very early 20th Century.

What sounds more futuristic?

A multi-leveled land .. with people walking down below - Ground level .. and transportation systems traveling high above (Second story) ... creating a lively, kinetic colorful world?

A single story land .... with people walking about buildings .... randomly sitting in their 'separate' foundations ... irrespective to what's next to them?

That sounds like life today. With shops, gas stations, strip malls, office buildings ...all randomly thrown into this strange mixture - No cohesive/uniform layout about them - just - Random.

I wish I had a crystal ball to see the real future. And I certainly hope that entails .. that if the current PM tracks all have to come out ... that they are replaced with a new track .. for a new ride .. that circles high above the whole land, offering kinetics, interconnecting all the buildings .. into a futuristic layout .. unlike life today .. which is still holding on to 20th Century city/town layouts.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 07-04-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: refining my thoughts

Well to remove the whole track. That would require them to demolish EVERY building in tomorrowland.

• Artistic integrity

Just makes you wonder if it's all Cut And Dry where Cal-OSHA is concerned ... about emergency pathways, exits, width of the tunnels ........... or if it's a little more of a flexible situation .. and Disney is withholding that bit of information.

Could be a matter of commitment on Disney's part. ($$)

And I'm also looking at the age of some of the structures.

Buzz Lightyear is in a building that dates back to 1955, where parts of it were redone for the 1967 remodel.

Same goes for Star Tours - The queue in a 1955 building. While the 4-simulator bay .. 1986 structure.

Carousel theater, Redd Rockets ... structures that date back to 1966.

And the entire Space Mountain complex ... dating 1976/77.

So we got buildings at 35 and 45 and 57 years in age.

At what point does Disney stop recycling some of those older structures, and rebuild?

Why not get rid of the track and put in a new one, with a similar route with banked turns etc with more solid foundation to avoid the damage rocket rods caused, or have a ride about the same speed as people mover, A dark ride portion could be incorperated in the area by innovations, if they tear it down and put something in its place.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    What's the hurry with removing it?
    Because its a rotting eyesore. Have you seen how horrible the track over Autopia/Subs looks? Its time to either get rid of it, or put an attraction up there.

• ohai

I like the shade it provides.
    I don't like how ugly it is, and the added congestion it creates (as well as the Astro Orbitor).

Time to go, it has had plenty of time to be an eyesore.

I think it is time to redo most of TL that includes tearing down and rebuilding structures and rebuilding a new track, platform, and rockets. Imagine a brand new layout with only Star Tours and Space MT (maybe BLAB) as the only rides to stay.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Disneyland Original '55

I've always wanted the people mover to come back but i don't see how that is possible if Disney wants to redesign Tomorrowland. Keep Buzz, Astro Orbitor and Star Tours Open make a path to space mountain, maybe take the line through Starcade and up top to the entrance way Keep autopia, subs and Monorail open, then... rework the middle area from pizza port to tomorrowland terrece, once that area is clear then work can begin on the Autopia/subs area and The main entrance to Tomorrowland
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

Quick question - what is subs? People keep mentioning it and I am confused!

---------- Post added 07-05-2012 at 02:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    I'm sorry i'm just totally against blind nostalgia. To me it’s like a messy garage. You don’t want to throw anything out because of memories or the possible chance of it being used again. I’d rather move forward and get something new, even if thats just beautification. Disneyland should never become a museum and the PM has become an aged piece of history.
    Blind nostalgia? When peoplemover existed, it was one of my top 10 favorite rides at Disneyland! It was an awesome ride which I wish came back so badly.
    Last edited by Totoro; 07-05-2012 at 02:12 AM.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
    Quick question - what is subs? People keep mentioning it and I am confused!

---------- Post added 07-05-2012 at 02:12 AM ----------

Blind nostalgia? When peoplemover existed, it was one of my top 10 favorite rides at Disneyland! It was an awesome ride which I wish came back so badly.
    submarine voyage

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast