Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

• AKA - DisneyChris

Re: People Mover Removal

I think now that Cars land is done - Frontierland and Tomorrowland are at the top of the agenda for DLR - I am sure we will be hearing more about plans in the year ahead.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

I think the issue of the tracks being in "horribly disrepair" is a bit misguided. They're concrete - it doesn't age in the weather. It just needs repainting. The center was already scooped out to make room for Rocket Rod's single cylindrical track. Just unbolt it, have structural engineers come in and evaluate every inch for cracks, and install a new track. Waste of money to demolish that.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Banned User

I wouldn't say that demolishing them would be a waste of money. If we get a new tomorrowland, i want to see a NEW tomorrowland, not old attractions making a comeback. I had fond memories of the 80's and 90's people mover but its gone now and i don't want to try and relive something that's better left in the good memories category. Nemo and the Rocket Rods are perfect example of why old attractions are better left in the past. Renovation and updating is one thing, but to try and recreate a beloved attraction usually fails big time. I’m trying to think of if it’s been done well...

• Dave

Blog Entries

Hey budy this is a family site let's watch the language! People Mover removal those be fighting words pal!
    Dave

I was told by a CM that during the Star Tours 2.0 refurb that the PM track that went through that building had been removed during the 6 month downtime.

I say continue remove it. Having it just makes TL looked more cluttered.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    Sometimes I think people give OSHA too much credit as the reason why the People Mover hasn't come back. Most likely it's just that Disney hasn't figured out yet what they're gonna do with it. And remember that the rumor about the subs being removed is just rumor. I highly doubt that's actually going to happen.
    Agreed on both accounts. You don't spend the type of money they did on the subs, and just rip it out. Plus it always seems to have healthy lines and kids love it which means parents buy merchendise which means more $$$$$ for Disneyland. I have a feeling the subs will remain but be rethemed. Like many I am not a big fan of the Nemo part but it is what was needed to get the suits to sign of on it. Plus that motion and beutiful water just addxs to the look of the land.
    The People Mover I have a feeling will not survive in it's current stat, but will be rebuilt in a more futuristic form. I could see it based on Tron which I would love. Or maybe based on the Incredibles, not my first choice but those pod things they rode were pretty cool. I would love to see them add the ability to allow riders to spin their People Mover or Pod around with a Joy Stick. That would add a really neat interactive ellement.
    One other point I, know it isn't People MOver directly but it is related and would kill two birds with one stone. I would move the Jets back above the People MOver while putting in a new version of the People mover. This will do two things no three. First clear up space along the front of Tommorowland allowing easier trafic flow. Second, it would put the Rockets were they belong in the sky (Love Dubo, but we don't need two versions). Finally get rid of what ever the hell that thing is on top of the People Mover tower.
    Anyone have any idea what dumbbutt came up with that thing and what the hell is it supposed to be? I have never been able to figure that one out.
    Honestly of Disney can plop down a cool $billion to improve DCA than they can at least put a little cash into bring Tommorowland back into the future and a new or updated version could easly do that!
    Dave

• Banned User

omg the radar dish is sooooo retarded.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    omg the radar dish is sooooo retarded.
    Is that what that stupid thing is. We replaced very unique ride the rockets for that thing that looks like a third grader was allowed to get into the glow. Hope they fired the person that came up with that idea.
    Dave

• Banned User

Poor Tony Baxter having to have his name attached to 98's Tomorrowland.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Nemo and the Rocket Rods are perfect example of why old attractions are better left in the past. Renovation and updating is one thing, but to try and recreate a beloved attraction usually fails big time. I’m trying to think of if it’s been done well...
    No, they are perfect examples of renovations that are done incorrectly and haven't lived up to the previous attractions standards, it has nothing to do with the existing ride system or infrastructure. The Subs which had an amazing theme at one point were overlayed with a childish kiddy ride that wouldn't thoroughly entertain a 10 year old much less any adult; and the Rocket Rods, although a good concept, it was done on the cheap and failed due to same shortsightedness that got us DCA 2001. You are placing blame in the wrong area, it's current Disney management and their Imagineers who have made poor decisions, not the designers of the past who have made amazing attractions which have lasted over 40 years without failure. Given the same budget, WED would have redone these attractions for the ages.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.

• Banned User

I'm saying the track record for reimagining an attraction isn't very good (if you have an example please post it).

We've had this argument several times and i fundamental disagree with you. The subs while being very original is outdated and stale. The cartoon overlay has nothing to do with the popularity or lack thereof because if my memory serves me the Subs were desolate long before Nemo. And yes i've heard your argument about disney not properly up keeping it and i say that's a load, because Indy is ignored like crazy yet people clamor to it's queue anyway. The peoplemover while being very popular was outdated as well, and when updated with rocket rods fail monumentally.

I hear so many arguments on this forum about originality but almost everyone here wants to see the peoplemovers back. Tell me how is that original?

• Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    No, they are perfect examples of renovations that are done incorrectly and haven't lived up to the previous attractions standards, it has nothing to do with the existing ride system or infrastructure. The Subs which had an amazing theme at one point were overlayed with a childish kiddy ride that wouldn't thoroughly entertain a 10 year old much less any adult; and the Rocket Rods, although a good concept, it was done on the cheap and failed due to same shortsightedness that got us DCA 2001. You are placing blame in the wrong area, it's current Disney management and their Imagineers who have made poor decisions, not the designers of the past who have made amazing attractions which have lasted over 40 years without failure. Given the same budget, WED would have redone these attractions for the ages.
    So aSeawolf as far as the subs go do you see the theme changing or it being bulldoaedo me it seems they put a lot of mney and effort just to have it torn out after what maybe ten years in operation. Also it doesn't seem to have many mechanical problems like rocket rods did.
    Dave

• Sondheimian

The thing is, when Walt envisioned the Peoplemover, he actually thought that's how people would get around in the future, or at least he put out an idea of how he saw the future. Obviously, the Peoplemover is not the future of transportation, so I wouldn't want to see it back either.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I'm saying the track record for reimagining an attraction isn't very good (if you have an example please post it).

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough, and Star Tours.

We've had this argument several times and i fundamental disagree with you. The subs while being very original is outdated and stale. The cartoon overlay has nothing to do with the popularity or lack thereof because if my memory serves me the Subs were desolate long before Nemo. And yes i've heard your argument about disney not properly up keeping it and i say that's a load, because Indy is ignored like crazy yet people clamor to it's queue anyway. The peoplemover while being very popular was outdated as well, and when updated with rocket rods fail monumentally.

Indy is by no means in perfect condition but to suggest it hasn't been taken care of is silly. Submarine Voyage was underwater and could not be maintained for up to 20 years at a time, it had to be drained in order to be worked on thoroughly and Disney simply did not want to pony up the millions of dollars and downtime it would take to do this. Your comparison of Indy and Submarine Voyage also doesn't work because of their vast age difference, one is 17 years old and the other is over 53. Submarine Voyage was indeed rotting by the 90's and had zero special effect upgrades over these many years; you could have done the same to Pirates and Haunted Mansion and they would have gone downhill just the same, the heavily chlorinated underwater scenes didn't help any either.

I hear so many arguments on this forum about originality but almost everyone here wants to see the peoplemovers back. Tell me how is that original?

It's original because no one here is asking for the same attraction. We are asking for something that uses a similar ride concept and turn it into the next big thing. Don't think so narrowly, a ton of innovative things could be achieved with 200 million dollars. Just look at post 36.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    So aSeawolf as far as the subs go do you see the theme changing or it being bulldoaedo me it seems they put a lot of mney and effort just to have it torn out after what maybe ten years in operation. Also it doesn't seem to have many mechanical problems like rocket rods did.
    Disney will probably take the easy way out and bulldoze the thing instead of realizing its potential. They will end up making the same mistakes they always have by putting in an attraction based off whatever is popular at the particular moment and wasting a lot of money. If I had it my way, the Subs would be restored properly with its original theme with plenty of mystical fantasy involved like Tokyo's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea; heck I might even get new state of the art subs with more space and capacity.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 07-05-2012 at 11:36 AM.

• Dave

Blog Entries

I agree The subamrines have so much potential for something even better, but I think we owe a debt of graditude to Nemo because with out I doubt we would have seen the subs return. With thzat said Disney needs to up their game and really put a new verions of voyage under the sea. Incluse something that has future ocean cities anduse the cgi tech to creat a 3d effect.
    I think Disneylad would be mad to just sink the world's 7th largest sub fleet Take that Iran!
    Dave

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast