Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 94
  1. #76

    • some assembly required
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    nowhere in particular...
    Posts
    687

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Quote Originally Posted by 9906 View Post
    Well to remove the whole track. That would require them to demolish EVERY building in tomorrowland.
    So not true. They could demo the pm track and save any building they wanted, even all of them. So tired of ppl saying this!

    ---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 08:05 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    I think the issue of the tracks being in "horribly disrepair" is a bit misguided. They're concrete - it doesn't age in the weather. It just needs repainting. The center was already scooped out to make room for Rocket Rod's single cylindrical track. Just unbolt it, have structural engineers come in and evaluate every inch for cracks, and install a new track. Waste of money to demolish that.
    Bingo.

    The freeway system uses elevated platforms and the supports under them made of concrete and rebar. And the abuse those freeways get/have gotten is so much more. I know for a FACT that these structures for the PM have rebar in them (see construction photos). Freeway platforms require minimal up-keep. Some are older than 1967, and they have yet to require any maint. Mind you, I am not speaking of the roadway laid upon the top of these freeway platforms ...of course those get resurfaced much more often.

    I think if the PM platform was structuraly unsound, it would come down years ago for the safety of guests on the ground.

    ---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 08:09 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    I was told by a CM that during the Star Tours 2.0 refurb that the PM track that went through that building had been removed during the 6 month downtime.

    I say continue remove it. Having it just makes TL looked more cluttered.

    They did (but it was Rocket Rod track). But a PM/RRod track is different than the PM track platform/supports. Those supports are still there and I am guessing in working order since they are an important part of the entire structure of the original ATIS building.

    ---------- Post added 07-06-2012 at 08:10 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    I was told by a CM that during the Star Tours 2.0 refurb that the PM track that went through that building had been removed during the 6 month downtime.

    I say continue remove it. Having it just makes TL looked more cluttered.

    They did (but it was Rocket Rod track). But a PM/RRod track is different than the PM track platform/supports. Those supports are still there and I am guessing in working order since they are an important part of the entire structure of the original ATIS building.
    ~Jay

    "Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)


  2. #77

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Posts
    91

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Somewhat off topic here but I saw a vintage video (God help me, I can't remember exactly what the video was about... some sort of dedication ceremony or something.) There were guys lined up standing on the PM tracks. No handrails or safety devices of any kind, they were just standing there on the tracks.
    Imagine the s---storm OSHA would have seeing that!

    ON-TOPIC, I personally loved the People Mover and would certainly love to see it return (even in it's previous form). An update would be nice though, and I would certainly welcome that, however I think the total removal of the tracks would be a mistake as I agree with a previous poster on this thread that said there needs to be movement up high. I think returning the Rockets to its original spot and doing SOMETHING with the PM tracks (reuse as-is, or renovate to add a higher speed ride) would help give the land a much needed multi-level feel.

  3. #78

    • Bring back the Keelboats!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lompoc, CA
    Posts
    2,391

    Re: People Mover Removal

    I don't want to see it go for two reasons: 1) I want it to come back as a ride, and 2) It is the only shade when walking through Tomorrowland....

    Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!


    Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!


    Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

  4. #79

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    655

    Re: People Mover Removal

    I say no to a fast speed ride like Rocket Rodd. It would need a good size queue, where would you put it? The potential spot could be use for other things.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

  5. #80

    • Heavy Breather
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    A Galaxy Far Far Away
    Posts
    830

    Re: People Mover Removal

    [QUOTE=Dirton;1056799932]I'm saying the track record for reimagining an attraction isn't very good (if you have an example please post it).

    We've had this argument several times and i fundamental disagree with you. The subs while being very original is outdated and stale. The cartoon overlay has nothing to do with the popularity or lack thereof because if my memory serves me the Subs were desolate long before Nemo. And yes i've heard your argument about disney not properly up keeping it and i say that's a load, because Indy is ignored like crazy yet people clamor to it's queue anyway. The peoplemover while being very popular was outdated as well, and when updated with rocket rods fail monumentally.


    I hear so many arguments on this forum about originality but almost everyone here wants to see the peoplemovers back. Tell me how is that original?
    [/QUOTE

    When people say "original" they usually mean something thats not tied into a film franchise.


    What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

    Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/









  6. #81

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    336

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Having been a kid when the PM was new, I can't image Tomorrowland without it. It's so sad to see the empty track. Disney needs to create a new PM with some new styling to the cars but keep the leisurely ride. Create new narration that has some history about the PM and TL. And when you get the the COP building don't put in a 'super speed tunnel'. Get rid of Innovations and put a big, animated, model of Disneyland. I have a great idea for a new COP but that would be a different thread.

  7. #82

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    494

    Re: People Mover Removal

    From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    I just found this video entitled Magic Highway USA. This was part of 1958 Disney Animation. Enjoy!
    It shows what the future of transportation could have been like. There is lots of possibilities for the people mover track.
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!


    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-


    We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.







  8. #83

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    176

    Re: People Mover Removal

    The sad thing is, Pixar would have to make a PeopleMover movie for this attraction to come back.

    And yes, OSHA approved, right?

  9. #84

    • Disneyland Original '55
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    169

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    The sad thing is, Pixar would have to make a PeopleMover movie for this attraction to come back.
    Pixar Made the PeopleMover in Wall-e and still no PeopleMover, I always thought a Wall-e themed Mover would do well but its a bit outdated these days.
    Enter into new Frontiers of Fantasy....... Today.......... Tomorrow.................Forever.........

  10. #85

    • failure for lunch
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    378

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    We've had this argument several times and i fundamental disagree with you. The subs while being very original is outdated and stale. The cartoon overlay has nothing to do with the popularity or lack thereof because if my memory serves me the Subs were desolate long before Nemo. And yes i've heard your argument about disney not properly up keeping it and i say that's a load, because Indy is ignored like crazy yet people clamor to it's queue anyway.
    ....and I completely disagree with you. The subs became stale ONLY because it wasn't given the appropriate update. It was shuttered during the most notoriously mismanaged period in Disney history. FUNDAMENTALLY, the idea of underwater exploration is anything but stale. There was no update in 40 years. NO UPDATE. By the time the original ride took it's last 'dive' mermaids were still hanging by wires, the sea monster looked like something you putt golf balls into and most of the fish had no movement.

    And are you really trying to make a point about an attraction built in 1959 that went without any updates by comparing it to Indiana Jones? One of the most sophisticated technological marvels that Disney has ever built?? Because the ride has a few broken parts that need to be fixed??? Really????

    What I think would be a fair comparison is the Matterhorn. Debuted at the same time. A few major updates that changed the ride completely. Or what about the Jungle Cruise from 4 years earlier? There were several updates and several scenes added. As technology and audio-animatronics improved so did many of the animals along the river. The same should've been the case with the Subs.

    Nemo did the original ride a huge service. It corrected a lot of issues. They made the subs electric, they found an innovative way to keep the sea floor pretty without constant upkeep and most of all they put a lot of the sets behind glass. If the rumor is true and Tomorrowland is truly going to be updated, the only thing about the ride itself that needs to go is the Nemo overlay.

    The People Mover on the other hand: I feel it's a classic example of what happens when you try fixing what wasn't broken to begin with. I personally feel they should just right their wrongs and bring it back to some compacity for the movement it brought to the land alone. Tomorrowland needs to feel like 'a world on the move' again.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

  11. #86

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,638

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave View Post
    Seawolf now that they have shown thath e subs are as popular as ever, and from the lines Ive seen the seems to be I think now they have a leg to stand on say lets do this as part of our Tommorowland refurb. I could see the suits saying yes to having a truly updated version of the people mover by tony including a movie tie in to get the green light. I could see TRon fiting the bill of not only a futuristic ride but fun too
    If a TRON ride was to be built, I hope that it is not on those tracks. They have a much more thrilling and updated concept for TRON and it will debut I Shanghai. I rather they tear out those tracks and the whole east side of tomorrow land and start from scratch

  12. #87

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    655

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    If a TRON ride was to be built, I hope that it is not on those tracks. They have a much more thrilling and updated concept for TRON and it will debut I Shanghai. I rather they tear out those tracks and the whole east side of tomorrow land and start from scratch
    The tracks would just limit a TRON ride if it was build there. A TRON ride should be in its on showbuilding, leave the tracks for something else.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

  13. #88

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    14

    Re: People Mover Removal

    I see people referring to OSHA as objecting to the ride. Just a reminder, OSHA would only object to issues with Disney Cast Members (the "O") Safety and Health (the "S" and "H"). Is someone saying that OSHA finds the ride unsafe or unhealthy for Cast Members to work on? I would think that there are several rides that fit that description.

    As far as visitors, there are several other bureaucracies that have jurisdiction (building codes, fire marshal, health department, DOT), but OSHA, not so much.

  14. #89

    • Big Hockey Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    201

    Re: People Mover Removal

    Lets all agree we miss the PeopleMover and want some form of it back

  15. #90

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: People Mover Removal

    I love the PeopleMover in Florida.... It looks like a lame ride, but it comes in handy during a long day. I hope they bring a version to Disneyland eventually.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. People Mover 2005 again
    By Derekuda in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 04:08 PM
  2. People Mover 2005
    By Derekuda in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 03:52 PM
  3. You want a quick remedy for the People Mover Track?
    By mkm1998 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 07:22 PM
  4. People Mover Track
    By disneylandian192 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 208
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 02:47 PM
  5. Old Rocket Rod/People Mover Track?
    By rawrr in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 05:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •