Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: (Heartwarming Story) Friendly and Generous Couple Help Me Out in a Tight Money Pi

Awesome story. It's always nice to hear about the generosity of strangers.

Just make sure you pay it forward now.

• Ravenclaw

Re: (Heartwarming Story) Friendly and Generous Couple Help Me Out in a Tight Money Pi

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Tipping is part of our culture. I always tip based on performance, but it's pretty standard tip waitresses when you sit down ... anywhere. Anyway, I think the OP learned a lesson - next time skip the coke.
    Tipping isn't standard...in Japan, nor when you sit down at a meal in most of Europe.
    In Japan, tipping is considered rude. In many parts of Europe you are charged a service fee for sitting down. My favorite restaurant in San Diego has a no-tipping policy; wherein any money left on the table is donated to a charity of the month. They instead charge a service fee, which is used to split the tips equally amongst all restaurant employees (California does not allow for tips to be distributed among employees who are not in tipped positions; i.e. the kitchen staff) so this becomes a fair and equitable division for everyone's efforts to feed you.
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    Waiters and waitresses depend on their tips, more so than their salaries, which are way below minimum wage. My dad was a waiter, and I remember my mom commenting so many times about how we must wait until our father got home, to see how much his tips were that day. Those tips bought our shoes, and clothes, and if he wasn't tipped well, we many times had to do without things until a future day in time.
    Not true in California, tipped employees are paid state min. wage.

But again, its not the customers responsibility to ensure an employee is making a decent wage, and tipping should never be expected, it should be something extra when service was above what was expected.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I always tip 20% in sit down restaurants. I have been fortunate throughout my life, in that I have always experienced good service. I guess the fact that my dad was a waiter has something to do with my feelings about tipping.

By the way, I live in Chicago. My dad traveled as a young man, before he married my mom, and everywhere he traveled, he could always get a job waiting on tables.

• One More Day

Due to inflation and the importance of tips I always tip 20%, if the service is bad it goes down from there. Customer Service is one of the hardest jobs there is, twice as hard when people are not nice and are demanding.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Awesome story. It's always nice to hear about the generosity of strangers.

Just make sure you pay it forward now.
    This.

Stories like Bongo's are a reminder that even though we often don't hear about them, there are still a lot of people with good hearts out there.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Pattymelt1957 View Post
    If I ever caught my niece or nephew going to a sit down restaurant without enough money to pay the tip I think I would disown them.
    Disown them.

Not sure I can take the rest of your post seriously with a statement like this.

• Sock Puppet

Totally baffled as to why someone would want to share such an embarrassing story. This doesn't warm my heart, but rather causes me to cringe.

Shalamar was her name?

I think the fact that resturaunts HAVE to report the EXPECTED tips earned at 15% to the IRS is just plain wrong.

One day, a long long long time ago, somebody thought "Wow! What great service! I think I'll leave a little something extra to show my appreciation". So they tipped. Then, it caught on.

Now, if you don't, you're considered very rude because now the waiter/waitress has to pony up extra money to cover what you didn't.

There should exist a way to report ONLY what the server earned as tips... not what they SHOULD have earned.

• Chief Troublemaker

Bongo, don't take the negative comments to heart. You made an honest mistake (unlike some posters here, who seem to be 'practically perfect in every way') and you have learned from it. And you also had the experience of receiving kindness from a stranger and being grateful for it and understanding the need to pay it forward.

I always told my boys that a mistake isn't a mistake as long as you learn from it and don't repeat it. And they've grown into fine men (if I do say so myself) of whom I am extremely proud. I'm sure you will grow up to be one, too.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Banned User

Yah, I never go by the if they deserve it thing. You dont know what kind of day people have had. Failed exam, death in family, problems at home. Sometimes its when they need it the most.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by pushforth View Post
    I think the fact that resturaunts HAVE to report the EXPECTED tips earned at 15% to the IRS is just plain wrong.

One day, a long long long time ago, somebody thought "Wow! What great service! I think I'll leave a little something extra to show my appreciation". So they tipped. Then, it caught on.

Now, if you don't, you're considered very rude because now the waiter/waitress has to pony up extra money to cover what you didn't.

There should exist a way to report ONLY what the server earned as tips... not what they SHOULD have earned.

Exactly! And isn't this money already taxed to begin with?

That said, let's let this rest already. It boils down to a young man made mistake, someone helped him, he isn't perfect, he learned and appreciates people's kindness.

Enough berating and critisizing him for being a human. (Actually, better than most humans since he's willing and eager to learn from his mistakes.) If you are perfect and have never made a mistake, congratulations. You should really book yourself on Leno since you'd be the first. But stop the judgement on this young man. Let him have the right to learn from his experience without being berated for a simple mistake.
    This is a nice story. Don't turn it into something else.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Yah, I never go by the if they deserve it thing. You dont know what kind of day people have had. Failed exam, death in family, problems at home. Sometimes its when they need it the most.
    What makes them good at their job is the ability to put that behind them. If they can't, then maybe the service industry isn't for them. (I would still leave something for their efforts, but not as much as I would if they actually did their job, and if they were really bad they wouldn't get anything.)
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Surprised by the negative comments... really!? He was 16 and gracious, unlike many other teens these days.

Nice story and thanks for sharing Bongo. I really LOL'd at "I don’t have to give you any physical tips.."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast