Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: So I guess you're not allowed to take the Toy Story Mania glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    My friend stole glasses from Star Tours when we went last August. She told the cast member at the disposal bins that she had left hers in her seat. The cast member just nodded her off. Crazy. I felt like stopping her but honestly in this day and age with my friends they could care less about what is right and wrong. Unlike me they like living life on the edge and not giving a care about the benefit and enjoyment of other people.

It sounds like your friend KNEW she wasn't supposed to take them. I honestly had no idea that it was required you return them. If I knew you had to I would have returned them. I didn't take them with the intention of stealing them. Was it still stealing? Yeah. I understand that now and that's why I'm not going to do it again.

• I'm a Lutheran

She most knew very well that she wasn't supposed to take them. Heck, we rode the ride earlier that day and she returned her glasses. You think you'd remember doing that. Star Tours for instance makes sure you know to return them. There are signs, cast members posted everyone telling you to return them, and if I recall correctly, Aly San San, the robot travel agent tells guests to return their glasses at the end of the ride. I don't know if she says that or not.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Theaters charge you a fee for the glasses, Which is why the price is painfully high most of the time.
    I've always just assumed the fee is more of a rental fee, since they have the collection bins/people waiting to collect them. Why would they do so otherwise? Seems like more of a hassle to collect, sanitize, and repackage them rather than just providing new ones if they're actually selling them to you.

No offense of anything, but almost all 3-D rides require that you give the glasses back. I've ridden Toy Story Mania many times and there are several places for you to put your glasses when you are exiting the ride. It's not a crime to take one, but disposal bins are something to keep an eye out for. Once I couldn't find one (Disneyland fatigue, I guess) and had to ask a cast member. It's okay.
    It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you. - Doc Brown, Back to the Future III
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. -Forrest Gump
    Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the from way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. - Rafiki, Lion King
    Do or do not. There is no "try".- Yoda, Star Wars
    What are conscience! I'll tell ya! A conscience is that still small voice that people won't listen to. That's just the trouble with the world today... - Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio
    Think of all the you you'll find when you leave the world behing and bud your cares goodbye. - Peter Pan
    Mama always said, dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't. - Forrest Gump
    Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo. -Dory, Finding Nemo
    You don't understand. These are moments I regret, the memories that I have to change. - Cobb, Inception
    The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up. - Timothy the Mouse, Dumbo
    Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time. - Sally, Cars
    In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. -Anton Ego, Ratatoulli
    Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone before.- Star Trek
    It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. - Dumbledor, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk. - March Hare, Alice in Wonderland
    We don't like what we don't understand. In fact it scares us, snd this monster is mysterious at least.- The Mob, Beauty and the Beast
    What I love most about rivers is you can't step in the same river twice. The water's always changing, always flowing. But people, I guess, can't live like that. We all must pay a price. To be safe we loose our chance of ever knowing what's around the river bend. -Pocahontas
    You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh
    People think I'm odd. So I know how it feels to be different and I know how lonely that can be. - Belle, Beauty and the Beast
    The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability. -Remy, Ratatouille
    If watching is all you're going to do, then you're going to watch your whole life go by without you, - Laverne, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. - Eduard Christoff Gerard Renaldi, The Princess Diaries
    You try. You fail. You try. You fail. But the only true failure is when you stop trying. - Madame Leota, The Haunted Mansion
    We are not thriving. True, our people live, but our culture is dying. We are like a stone the ocean beats against. With each passing year a little more of us is worn away. - Princess Kida, Atlantis: The Lost Empire

~~Back to the Future Randomness~~
    Great Scott!
    This is heavy!
    Since you're new here, I-I'm gonna cut you a break, today. So, why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?
    1.21 gigawatts!
    I remember when this was all farmland as far the eye could see. Old man Peabody owned all of this. He had this crazy idea about breeding pine trees.
    Well, that is your name, isn't it? Calvin Klein? It's written all over your underwear.
    Look! There's a rhythmic ceremonial ritual coming up.
    Okay. Time circuit's on. Flux capacitor, fluxing. Engine running. All right.
    Say hi to your mom for me.
    The justice system works swiftly in the future now that they've abolished all lawyers.
    That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship.
    Butthead.
    Manure! I hate manure!
    Is this a hold up?- No, it's a science experiment!
    Clara was one in a million. One in a billion. One in a googolplex!
    What's your name, dude?- Uh, Mar...Eastwood. Clint Eastwood. -What kind of stupid name is that?

Have a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah day! (Uncle Remus, Song of the South)
    May the odds be ever in your favor. (Effie, The Hunger Games)
    Live long and prosper. (Spock, Star Trek)
    May the force be with you. (Han Solo, Star Wars)

• -

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpeeder View Post
    It's not a crime to take one, but disposal bins are something to keep an eye out for.
    Check out CA Penal Code section 484 for the definition of larceny.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Just good enough

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Check out CA Penal Code section 484 for the definition of larceny.
    Ha, I was just about to say...

It is a crime to take them, but one that Disney isn't willing to enforce to the full extent of the law unless you were stealing them by the dozens or so then they might take action. But yes, the glasses are property of Disney, not the guest despite paying admission to the park. Not everything there is for the taking.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

Quote Originally Posted by Eonevoli1017 View Post
    Ha, I was just about to say...

It is a crime to take them, but one that Disney isn't willing to enforce to the full extent of the law unless you were stealing them by the dozens or so then they might take action. But yes, the glasses are property of Disney, not the guest despite paying admission to the park. Not everything there is for the taking.
    That's what I meant... sorry. They don't take it very seriously... but it is technically theirs. Then again, cast members are usually lax on the rules unless your stuffing 3-D glasses down your shirt by the handful. But now, this is educating the public on what's theirs and not theirs in Disneyland so now you all know
    It means your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one, both of you. - Doc Brown, Back to the Future III
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. -Forrest Gump
    Oh yes, the past can hurt. But the from way I see it, you can either run from it, or... learn from it. - Rafiki, Lion King
    What are conscience! I'll tell ya! A conscience is that still small voice that people won't listen to. That's just the trouble with the world today... - Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio
    Think of all the you you'll find when you leave the world behing and bud your cares goodbye. - Peter Pan
    Mama always said, dying was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't. - Forrest Gump
    Well, you can't never let anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo. -Dory, Finding Nemo
    You don't understand. These are moments I regret, the memories that I have to change. - Cobb, Inception
    The very things that hold you down are going to lift you up. - Timothy the Mouse, Dumbo
    Well, the road didn't cut through the land like that interstate. It moved with the land, it rose, it fell, it curved. Cars didn't drive on it to make great time. They drove on it to have a great time. - Sally, Cars
    In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. -Anton Ego, Ratatoulli
    Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone before.- Star Trek
    It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. - Dumbledor, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    We don't like what we don't understand. In fact it scares us, snd this monster is mysterious at least.- The Mob, Beauty and the Beast
    What I love most about rivers is you can't step in the same river twice. The water's always changing, always flowing. But people, I guess, can't live like that. We all must pay a price. To be safe we loose our chance of ever knowing what's around the river bend. -Pocahontas
    You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - Christopher Robin, Winnie the Pooh
    People think I'm odd. So I know how it feels to be different and I know how lonely that can be. - Belle, Beauty and the Beast
    The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability. -Remy, Ratatouille
    If watching is all you're going to do, then you're going to watch your whole life go by without you, - Laverne, The Hunchback of Notre Dame
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all. - Eduard Christoff Gerard Renaldi, The Princess Diaries
    You try. You fail. You try. You fail. But the only true failure is when you stop trying. - Madame Leota, The Haunted Mansion
    We are not thriving. True, our people live, but our culture is dying. We are like a stone the ocean beats against. With each passing year a little more of us is worn away. - Princess Kida, Atlantis: The Lost Empire

Great Scott!
    This is heavy!
    Since you're new here, I-I'm gonna cut you a break, today. So, why don't you make like a tree and get outta here?
    1.21 gigawatts!
    I remember when this was all farmland as far the eye could see. Old man Peabody owned all of this. He had this crazy idea about breeding pine trees.
    Well, that is your name, isn't it? Calvin Klein? It's written all over your underwear.
    The justice system works swiftly in the future now that they've abolished all lawyers.
    Butthead.
    Manure! I hate manure!
    What's your name, dude?- Uh, Mar...Eastwood. Clint Eastwood. -What kind of stupid name is that?

• Minion

On the topic of stealing, Disney is stealing $ from us without us knowin ex. water cost $3.25 but really they are stealing $2.25 from us since it should really cost us $1.

Not everything there is for the taking.
    Look, it's not like I go around "taking" everything in the parks that I can. I've never have/will never steal something from Disney (even if it's something like the glasses) willingly unless it's given to me for free or if I've bought it. I didn't know I was stealing at the time, and if I knew that I was stealing at the time I wouldn't have done it. It was my first time ever on TSM and somehow I missed the signs. The cast members KNEW and didn't mind that I took one either so I honestly thought that you weren't required to give them back...now I've learned my lesson and I guess you can sleep well knowing that the glasses have returned to TSM

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    On the topic of stealing, Disney is stealing $ from us without us knowin ex. water cost $3.25 but really they are stealing $2.25 from us since it should really cost us $1.
    Oh, that's not stealing, that's Disney Magic. The same magic that takes 15 cents worth of ingredients and 25 cents worth of labor and transforms them into a $3.50 churro.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Just good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Quarar44 View Post
    Look, it's not like I go around "taking" everything in the parks that I can. I've never have/will never steal something from Disney (even if it's something like the glasses) willingly unless it's given to me for free or if I've bought it. I didn't know I was stealing at the time, and if I knew that I was stealing at the time I wouldn't have done it. It was my first time ever on TSM and somehow I missed the signs. The cast members KNEW and didn't mind that I took one either so I honestly thought that you weren't required to give them back...now I've learned my lesson and I guess you can sleep well knowing that the glasses have returned to TSM
    The comment wasn't directed towards you personally, just towards a sense of entitlement that seems to permeate through the parks at times.

The fact that the CM's didn't stop you doesn't necessarily mean they condone it. In a large amount of the retail sector, employees are not allowed to confront shoplifters at the risk of injury or lawsuit that might arise. The security guard is the one that's able to handle that situation entirely because they have been trained appropriately to handle a situation, should it become hostile.

So just because they saw you take them doesn't necessarily mean they condone it. Just a heads up in the future. Lesson learned though.
    "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Oh, that's not stealing, that's Disney Magic. The same magic that takes 15 cents worth of ingredients and 25 cents worth of labor and transforms them into a $3.50 churro.
    Disney just overprices their food because they can. No where else in the world can you experience the magic of a Disney park other than a Disney park. And no where else in the Disney park can you buy something other than the vendors at a Disney park. You can always bring your own food, but it would be hard to cook three meals plus snacks and water from a hotel. Disney knows that. Also consider that Disney gets all its Cokes for free (that's what I heard). Catch my drift?

Great Scott!
    This is heavy!
    1.21 gigawatts!
    Butthead.
    Manure! I hate manure!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Ok that's different Cus it's worth the $3.50 for the churro. U get what you're paying for. As for water, it's clearly a rip off. Everyone knows its a rip off (stealing $ from innocent tourist)

The comment wasn't directed towards you personally, just towards a sense of entitlement that seems to permeate through the parks at times.

The fact that the CM's didn't stop you doesn't necessarily mean they condone it. In a large amount of the retail sector, employees are not allowed to confront shoplifters at the risk of injury or lawsuit that might arise. The security guard is the one that's able to handle that situation entirely because they have been trained appropriately to handle a situation, should it become hostile.

So just because they saw you take them doesn't necessarily mean they condone it. Just a heads up in the future. Lesson learned though.
    Ok I get what you're saying. But if the cast members don't condone it, shouldn't they say something like if you use your fastpass later than the time window. 75% of the time I use a FP late they'll say "oh you're late, make sure you come back within the window next time," even though they won't care if I came back late again. Don't you think the CM would've said "please don't take those with you" but not necessarily have done anything if I didn't listen? And it's not like it was only 1 CM, TSM was a walk-on the day I was there and I went on it 6 times in a row with the same CM giving out the glasses (who didn't care that I took and was reusing one). Then I went on it 4 times in a row later with a different CM who didn't care either.

• Disneyland's the best!

On the movie theater issue: I think that there is nothing wrong with taking a pair of 3D glasses...and I say that because a) you pay a special upcharge (usually around $3) and b) they are wrapped when you get them, so obviously they are giving everyone new ones. The recycling bins (that is what they are labeled as) are only, in my opinion, if you don't want to keep them (which most people don't).

I also disagree with many of the posters on the security guard issue. He wasn't being rude per se, but I think he could have been nicer, as a Disney employee. He shouldn't have taken it off the guest's head by any means, he should have asked; and he should have put it in more of a questioning tone ("Sir, did you miss the glasses recycling bin? Would you like me to return those for you?") rather than an "I'm going to do this for you" tone like he did.
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast