Thread: DL Attendance

DL Attendance

Sorry if this is an old topic. I'm new...

What the heck is going on with attendance at Disneyland this spring? My family and I attend at least a couple times a month. We've been AP holders for years. Used to be that Saturday nights in the spring were fairly slow. It's been packed every weekend for since the presidents holidays this year, though. We went on a Tuesday afternoon a few weeks ago, and it was even slammed then.

I'm really surprised.

Does anyone know if there really is an overall attendance increase...and if so, what's it attributed to?

BTW, my mother in law swears the clientele has really gone downhill this year. In her words, "There's a lot of riff-raff these days." Anyone noticed this? I honestly can't say that I've notice a big difference in this regard, though last fall I did see a big group of gang bangers harrassing DL performers. This was a first for me. Most frustrating was that DL Security was standing by watching the whole thing but never stepped in. I was honestly appalled. It was the first time I worried about the safety of our kids in the park.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDNation
    ... last fall I did see a big group of gang bangers harrassing DL performers. This was a first for me. Most frustrating was that DL Security was standing by watching the whole thing but never stepped in. I was honestly appalled. It was the first time I worried about the safety of our kids in the park.
    Did you complain to City Hall about it? :confused:
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Disney worshipper/geek

Well, for one thing, they stopped putting a cap on how many AP holders there are. Also, with so many year-round schools in the area, there is always a chance of kids being their even on weekdays.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

1. Spring Break has really thinned out over the last couple of years thanks to the College Board and several state boards of education. Basically what that means is that in 1997 Spring Break was April 6th-19th for the majority of Colleges and k-12 schools through-out the US. This year SB started March 6 for several colleges and March 13 for out of state schools and it will last until about April 16th. So... park attendance IS up earlier this season and at the same time a LOT of rides are down... so it just feels like a 50k day when its really only 30k.

2. The ticket prices will continue to rise to keep the "riff-raff" out... I must say though I am very insulted by that statement but I guess the higher the price the lower the demand. And those who are less fortunate (aka "Riff-raff") won't be able to get through the gates.

I am also pretty sure though that the 2-fer is helping a lot with both situation #1 and #2.

I also wonder if you asked your mom if she realized how... 1948... she was being. I am not going to say that the statement was... racist... but... its pretty offensive...

just my 2 cents...

• Minion

Well Anaheim has had so much rain during December 2004 and January/Feb. 2005, the better weather has brought out the crowds I think.

• Space Mountain Expert

Just have to add in my two cents about the 'riff raff' issue.
    One of the main reasons that I've loved Disneyland sooo much all throughout my growing up years is because it attracts mainly families.
    Compare your average day at Disneyland with a day at Magic Mountain or Knotts and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    I for one don't EVER want to see Disneyland full of the gang-bangers and thugsta wannabe's that make the Magic Mountains of the world so unpleasant to visit.
    Now, whether that is being offensive or not, it's just me being honest.
    Disneyland is one of the few remaining strongholds for families out there and we need to keep it that way.
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• Hooterville, USA

My wife who works the main gate says that the rain stopping and spring break starting are the causes of the big crowds.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Also a big factor in the increasing crowds is the economy is the best it has been in a while. People are back to traveling like they did before 9-11! At our agency we have seen a lot more people booking trips that haven't in quite a while.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Minion

I'd imagine the huge number of ride rehabs means more people in lines and on the streets, in addition to the other comments made.

The "rif-raf" issue has me a bit worried. My husband is saying "I told you so!" He's always telling me that DL is just "6 Flags with Mickey Ears" which is why he much prefers WDW which is about families. He tells me that there are way too many packs of kids at Disneyland, racing from attraction to attraction, cutting in lines, and missing the magic. He claims there is no magic at DL. I keep telling him no, he's wrong, since that is not at ALL my childhood memories of the place, but that was sooooo many years ago. Tell me it a'int so!

Quote Originally Posted by Sters
    He's always telling me that DL is just "6 Flags with Mickey Ears" which is why he much prefers WDW which is about families.

He claims there is no magic at DL. I keep telling him no, he's wrong, since that is not at ALL my childhood memories of the place, but that was sooooo many years ago. Tell me it a'int so!
    FWIW, WDW does seem more family oriented to me than DL. However I have noticed that on weekends WDW (at least MK) does have more of a DL feel to it.

• Minion

disney doesnt care who is in the park as long as they have your money now a days.... so get used to "riff raff" because those "riff raff" are walking dollar signs to Disney.
    Evil is lurking behind the matterhorn........ wait, that's just Mickey

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicDemona
    disney doesnt care who is in the park as long as they have your money now a days.... so get used to "riff raff" because those "riff raff" are walking dollar signs to Disney.
    EXACTLY...ive noticed its worse during spring break or summertime. Security cant really do anything unless they're breaking a law. Which most of the time theyre not just being rowdy isnt a rule. But of course affects us, families and such. I went once when they had the cheerleading thing going on.. MAN oh MAN.. thats the last time.. Girls yelling and screaming dogging other cheerleaders. Anyways. I cant help but stress and wish these type of crowds are not alllowed. But what can anyone do.. Disney cannot discriminate by looks alone. Just sad how the "magic" is ruined by mindelss hoodlums trying to be "hard/cool" and their in DL for goodness sake. StUPid ..
    but i love how the term "gang bangers " is used..hahaha brings back old memeories..hahaaha My mom used to say that to me...dont be one of thse gang bangers ha!! Man if i saw gang bangers in DL id laugh...How hard can you be when you in a place like Disneyland. Makes no sense to me why they come to DL in the first palce.. ok anyways.. off topic..

Disneyland will be crowded on the weekends from march to april.. even on weekdays .. Spring break is one of the busiest times..
    Last edited by XCLIPSE129; 03-15-2005 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by XCLIPSE129
    Security cant really do anything unless they're breaking a law. Which most of the time theyre not just being rowdy isnt a rule.

I cant help but stress and wish these type of crowds are not alllowed. But what can anyone do.. Disney cannot discriminate by looks alone. Just sad how the "magic" is ruined by mindelss hoodlums trying to be "hard/cool" and their in DL for goodness sake.
    How about a sign at the entrance: "No brains, no class, no service"