• ...or just Tonny

Disneyland's success or Disney's success?

Hi there,

I already mentioned this in the topic about annual attendance numbers, but at that point bit was not the main topic. I would like to address it here though.

It is not hard to see that the Disney theme parks are among the most successful in the world, popularity-wise. They still hold the top spots in attendance numbers.

Now this is no coincidence of course. They offer a top-quality producrt (except of course, the WDS and perhaps DCA. Thinking of which, people need to quit bashing DCA. It is not superb but visit the WDS and you'll start loving DCA. But I disgress.)

Anywho...I can't help but wonder, how much of Disney's success comes from their name and the huge impact it has on overall entertainment? I mean, what if someone would build a park in an urban area, like Disney, with the same quality or perhaps even better. I am convinced they would not get over 10 million visitors. But how far could they come? 3, 4 million, 5 perhaps? In other words: What percentage of Disneyland's success is in the name and what part in the actual quality of the product. As a certain highly-respected person ( ) usually says: Your thoughts?
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Now in Texas!

Re: Disneyland's success or Disney's success?

Well, I think the Disney name gets people in the door, but the quality of the product brings them back. So to me, it's a combination of both factors, among other things.

Disney also has very "deep pockets" and the marketing skill to keep weak parks afloat until they can be improved, while anybody else would probably go bankrupt in the meantime. So they get a longer leadtime to fix a weak park than somebody else with less financial backing or marketing savvy would. And the fact that they can build parks near each other helps the weaker parks survive until they can pull their own weight, and then those newer parks help the overall destination to achieve further profitability thru hotel rooms, timeshares and cruise ships.

And of course, they used good research in locating their parks. You don't see Disney parks that are only open from Spring Break to Halloween!

Sue in Sacramento

• Minion

Re: Disneyland's success or Disney's success?

These were once inseparable.

I believe "the brand" still coasts on the repuation gained through the truly lasting, quality works of Walt Disney and his collaborators. The reissues of his films and the continuing existence of things he built, like Disneyland, perpetuate an infectuous ideal and emotion and point-of-view to new generations that would not be supported by many recent low-quality works and products that capitalize on branding alone.

Unfortunately, many Disney executives don't know the difference. They have been selected for their skill in being part of a corporate team, not for their vision in things "Disney."