Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Hooterville, USA

Re: New Ideas for the New Monorail System

Derekuda, How you doing with that last storm? Heard Napa took a big hit! Hope you're ok.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Derekuda, How you doing with that last storm? Heard Napa took a big hit! Hope you're ok.
    Ya, we took a VERY big hit. Luckly I live on the north side of Napa. So we get minamal street flooding here. Downtown on the other hand is half way under water. I was sooo happy to see the local Cinadome theater under water. I hate that stupid theater. It's crazy how flooded Napa is. I saw streets that I normally drive on replaced by rivers and boats!

My cousen and her fiance just moved into an apartment that is literally right next to the Napa river. When you step out on her back porch, you are looking at the river. If we get 4 more feet of water, she may be swimming, so yesterday we went and put sandbags on her back slider doors.

So just keep us in your prayers. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Why on earth would you place a new station at the Esplanade? All you're doing then is wasting time by driving around Tomorrowland. As stated earlier the monorail made it easy for hotel guests to cross the street. Disneyland really isn't that big. It would probably take longer to board the monorail, drive everywhere only to end up a couple of blocks away. It makes for a complete waste of time and resources.
    People do not want transportation to save time, necessarily. They want it to save walking. Besides, the experience is worthwhile. The monorail is an attraction, in itself.

The monorail doesn't just dump people in Disneyland. Each train shows its passengers several places before it comes to a stop in Tomorrowland.

One has to envision the experience.

Guests board the monorail at the West station. The train leaves with views of Downtown Disney and the hotels to cross Disneyland Drive and enter the spectacular Grand Californian Hotel. As the train, passes through the first wing, it enters the Las Brisas Courtyard with its grove of redwood trees.

The train emerges from the hotel to views of the grizzly bear rock formation and, in the distance, Paradise Pier. On the left is the hangar housing Soarin' over California.

Guests pass the entrance to find views of the backdrop on the Hyperion Theatre, as the narrator begins introducing Walt Disney by relating his move to California in 1923 and his establishment of the first cartoon studio in Hollywood.

Approaching Harbor Boulevard, the narrator begins mentioning Anaheim, Orange County, and Walt Disney's dream of Disneyland.

The monorail, then, veers suddenly into Disneyland where Tomorrowland lies to the left and the submarine lagoon is to the right. Off in the distance is the landmark Matterhorn.

The train continues straight ahead towards Central Plaza and slows for a better view of Sleeping Beauty Castle. Making a right, the monorail travels along the outskirts of Fantasyland towards "It's a Small World". Making another right, the trains fly by the Disneyland Railroad and begin their serpentine movements over the Autopia and the Submarine Voyage.

The monorail, then, climbs to a high elevation providing an overview of everything and leaves the Magic Kingdom to proceed to the Main Entry Plaza, or Central Lobby, by offering views of the excited people arriving by way of the East Esplanade.

The train, then, comes to a stop right in front of Main Street Station and the "Mickey Floral" parterre.

On the other side of the train, guests have an incredible view of both the piazza and the entrance to Disney's California Adventure.

Departing guests walk towards the front of the train and down graceful ramps that echo the leaf and tendril shapes that are part of the motif. The ramps, then, direct guests into the piazza, itself.

The existing monorail beam and pylons, as well as the new low-profile station, are concealed by a new sign for Disneyland and a new peristyle entrance that relates to the "Mickey Floral" parterre and the other show elements in the Inner Lobby.

Returning guests board the monorail by using ramps on the East side of the piazza. The monorail train, then, makes a convenient trip to the Disneyland Hotel, and shows the glittering nightlife of Downtown Disney in the process. As the train passes over Disneyland Drive, passengers are also afforded views of the huge parking terrace that the day guests use.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-02-2006 at 11:21 AM.

• All you need is LOVE

I love the monorail

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    but the best part of the scenic ride on the Monorial is the part within Tomorrowland. ...
    MerlinJones is absolutely right. At WDW, the monorail takes a sweep through Epcot. That is the best part of that trip too.

The distance is so close that a few minutes more going through DL is not that big a deal.

Improvements:

1) I would have loved to see the monorail actually go through DCA. That could have created some excitement about DCA. That could have been encluded on the trip from DL to the hotels. It would have made California look like a progressive place, instead of a fake, carnival act.

2) I think a smaller ride (or transport system) could link the hotels together. I know that it would make staying at a Disney Hotel a MUST as it is at Orlando.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    What would be the purpose in that?
    It was a conditional statement... If there can be no extra track laid, I think in many ways it would be better served if they keep the Monorail internal than try to continue to pass it off as a hotel entrance...

I still don't see why more track can't be laid out other than the fact that WDI under Rasselo is too fricken lasy to improve the park with an imagineering that would actually be practical, useful, and valuable to the disney experiance.
    Check out my other blog:

• враг народа

Blog Entries

A stop in the middle of the Esplanade in between the gates would just crowd things. Frankly, if you see it as a serious walking issue between Downtown Disney and the gates I can't help but call you lazy. Besides, what about the trip between the Esplanade entrance and Downtown Disney? The stations are way too close in this set up. It will probably take longer to load and unload than just take that short trip.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

If there is one station at the Disneyland Hotel... and another in the Esplanade, then that leaves no stations within either park. The Monorail ceases to be a Disneyland attraction and becomes a "resort transportation system"... but one that doesn't particularly go anywhere. I doubt that anyone wanting to get from the Hotel to the Esplanade would prefer the serpentine route through all the parks over just walking down DD. Further, Tomorrowland loses another icon. Sure you can see it, but you have to go outside to ride it. I'm not clear why the system is restricted to just two stops. Why not three: Tomorrowland, DCA and Disneyland Hotel?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

I would add a station in dca if you expanded that part of the track becausefrankly the section that goes through dca is way shorter than the other part that twists through tomorrowland. The problem with expanding the line is you may need another train and the monorail raoundhouse only has space for fourmonorail trains and the two deisal tractors used for maintenance. Als I just realized you would then have to find spce to build a new roundouse (or expand it but since it is above the railroad roundhouse i think it might have some issues as it is full of Four trainsets, five locomotives, and a maintenace speeder, plus other railroad oriented stuff). The configuration can only be expanded in dca with maybe the storage of a fifth train in dd station and another station in dca. I think the current configuration is fine as is. As for tomorrowland station i can't wait to see how they will rebuild it. The main reason(for those who think it shouldn't be rebuilt) is the subs are placed right below with their station so it makes sense just to keep it there.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Pragmatic Idealist is saying he thinks the monorail should work like Walt Disney World's, as a transportation system to go from one resort hotel or theme park to another, rather than leaving the monorail system as a DLHotel/DowntownDisney to Tomorrowland set up.

The reason why two stops works better now is that the trains leave the stations at the same time and it keeps the flow going. If the stops are too close, then one train arrives before the last one has unloaded and refilled.

Clearly some improvements could be made to the monorail setup.

It should be easier to use to park hop or to get to DCA.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

But if the monorail was to stop at DCA would you really want to get off at the front gate area? Currently DCA just doesn't go that far south of Main Street Station. If you want a trip to DCA from Tomorrowland hop on the DLRR and get off at Main Street. The issue isn't really getting between the two. The issue is getting around inside DCA.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Pragmatic Idealist is saying he thinks the monorail should work like Walt Disney World's, as a transportation system to go from one resort hotel or theme park to another, rather than leaving the monorail system as a DLHotel/DowntownDisney to Tomorrowland set up.

The reason why two stops works better now is that the trains leave the stations at the same time and it keeps the flow going. If the stops are too close, then one train arrives before the last one has unloaded and refilled.

Clearly some improvements could be made to the monorail setup.

It should be easier to use to park hop or to get to DCA.
    Actually the train doesn't leave tommorrowland until the other train entered the park because one side of the track is significantly longer than the other Personally i don't think the dlr monorail should be like wdw. I think they should expand the monorail to tour dca with a stop at paradise peir. They start selling park hopper tickets only(it may help dca's attendance) and store the fifth train in dd station if they can safely have five trains(actually i think this configuration would work best with three but the fifth would work as another spare so one could always be in maintenace and the other four always ready to operate) The difference between WDW and DLR is that WDW is on 30000 acres and DLR is on 1000(not sure of the exact amount i guessed). There is a good reason why the disneyland monorail stops in toorrowland. It is for all practical reasons at the oppisite side of the resort as dd and saves a crudload of walking. Paradise peir is also way far awa from the DD station and a stop there would work well
    Last edited by inav; 01-02-2006 at 11:53 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Someone on MiceChat pointed out that if you ran the monorail trains in the opposite direction, you'd get a better look at DCA then having it whiz by on your left. If you went the other direction, you could see more of HPB when it passes through there. As it is now, everything is kind of behind you as you cruise around the corner.

The new monorail trains are supposed to look different from the Mark V models, but I have no idea how different.

While I really like the Mark V monorail trains that feature the fiberglass bodies, I hope that the design for the new trains is able to represent the resort destination as a whole and look appropriate no matter where the trains happen to be. The monorail trains and their guideway need to be better concealed from guests in both Disneyland and the new park, but the trains, themselves, should also be designed to look appropriate for each of the areas through which the monorail travels: Tomorrowland; the Matterhorn; the submarine lagoon; D.C.A.; etc.

Since the Outer Lobby is so important to the way the different parts of the resort destination relate to each other now, the design of the monorail trains should be consistent with the timeless garden, which Downtown Disney aspires to be.

The monorail has the potential to better unify the Guest experience since the service connects the various elements of the resort together.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-06-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Someone on MiceChat pointed out that if you ran the monorail trains in the opposite direction, you'd get a better look at DCA then having it whiz by on your left. If you went the other direction, you could see more of HPB when it passes through there. As it is now, everything is kind of behind you as you cruise around the corner.
    The H.P.B. is not the only place that would be better accentuated.

Sit facing backwards on the monorail next time, and you'll see all sorts of focal points that you may have missed before such as: the front of the Grand Californian Hotel; the front of Grizzly Peak; the front of Soarin' over California; the front of the Hyperion Theatre; the front of Sleeping Beauty Castle; the front of "it's a small world" and Mickey's Toontown; the front of D.C.A.; and, the front of the Downtown Disney Station.

Almost every vantage point is better from the opposite direction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast