Yes, that's right!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Smile Re: New Ideas for the New Monorail System

This same subject came up recently on another thread:

Re: Skyway Question
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Giant Panda
    Too many stops on a single rail line would destroy capacity. Think about it. The run from the DtD station to TL would be the only run that would last longer than the time spent in the preceding station to load and unload passengers. Adding two stations to the existing run would add at least 10 minutes (assuming 5 minutes at each station) to the complete circuit time, which corresponds to a 17% reduction in capacity.

My reply:

Well add more trains or make them an extra car longer...

[/quote] I suppose they could have opted for a monorail station in the GCH, but there are a couple of problems with that. First off is the problem of theme; A 21st (I'm being generous here) century monorail does not go with a 19th century Craftsman lodge. Secondly, moving the station to GCH would greatly reduce one of the fundemental benefits of staying at the DLH (and the GCH already offers direct access into DCA)[/quote]

The Grand FLORIDIAN Hotel has a 20th Century monorail going through a 19th Century hotel ! ! !

[/quote] As far as a station in DCA, that contradicted the concept of DCA being a totally seperate park. I don't have a problem with the imagineers designing the park assuming they'd have 30,000 guests every day, and if they had built enough quality attractions, that attendance parameter would have served them well. A ride linking the two parks was not in the plans.[/quote]

I don't think this is a good argument. People parkhop back and forth and a monorail exists and runs through both parks. But you can't use it to parkhop. It's just dumb.

[/quote]It should also be remembered that, much as the Matterhorn was built "around" the skyway, both DCA and the GCH were built around the Monorail. There really was no thought given as to where the track should be in relation to the new park and hotel ....... attention was spent rather on how to build them around the monorail so as to keep the existing monorail track.[/quote]

You're right about this. But that doesn't mean we have to resign ourselves to failure. Enginering and Imagineering can overcome these blunders and also deal with the must have valid ticket to board situtation. Just sell parkhopper tickets and effectively make it one Superpark. That's what it is anyways.

Re: New Ideas for the New Monorail System

I actually really dislike the "park-hopping" phenomenon because the new park does not relate that well to Disneyland proper. D.C.A. is its own separate experience and is best approached as such.

Besides that fact, both the Disneyland Railroad and the Main Street Vehicles already provide transportation to the new park from within Disneyland. As I mentioned, if guests really dislike waiting to pass through the gates of one park or the other, Disney management can change the situation by simply opening more gates.

The problem with the Grand Californian Hotel is that there is no way to walk through the East gate of the Las Brisas Courtyard. One has to walk through the somewhat tacky mall that Downtown Disney is. Additionally, there is no way to pass directly from the East side of the Las Brisas Courtyard to the second set of elevators in the hotel. Both of those problems need to be addressed.

The Paradise Pier Hotel needs to have access to D.C.A. from across Disneyland Drive. Vehicles traveling along the Performance Cooridor could, then, connect the hotel to the main entrance of Disneyland, itself. Of course, this option may necessitate keeping certain guest areas of D.C.A. open after hours, but since the design of the new park is tied to the reality of California, there shouldn't be any concerns about poor showmanship.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-03-2006 at 02:40 PM.

• Minion FOREVER!

A couple of thoughts:

* Completely agree about the reasonable distance separation necessary between
    stops to make another station worthwhile.
    * I also don't think having the monorail stop at GCH is that bad (akin
    to the Grand Floridian).
    * Disney really needs an alternative transportation system in DCA.
    * The logical choices are to:
    + extend the monorail into DCA and place a station somewhere in DCA.
    OR
    + establish or lengthen the PM in/into DCA. If the system was underground
    (yes, I know that costs $$), then it won't intrude on any area theming.

Anyway, my two cents...

Since the monorail is an option for guests of the Paradise Pier Hotel to potentially reach the main entrances of both Disneyland and the new park, Disney should create a guest walkway that passes between the Lego Imagination Center and Starabilias.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    A couple of thoughts:

* Completely agree about the reasonable distance separation necessary between
    stops to make another station worthwhile.
    * I also don't think having the monorail stop at GCH is that bad (akin
    to the Grand Floridian).
    * Disney really needs an alternative transportation system in DCA.
    * The logical choices are to:
    + extend the monorail into DCA and place a station somewhere in DCA.
    OR
    + establish or lengthen the PM in/into DCA. If the system was underground
    (yes, I know that costs $$), then it won't intrude on any area theming.

Anyway, my two cents...
    Good Ideas. Personally i think dca would benefit from a peoplemover system but i i think puttinr the monorail stsion by paradise peir hotel and opening the paradise peir hotel gate(it is pretty well hidden between golden dreams and the dinosaur whereas the gc gate is more noticable)They could also put a pedestrian bridge that crosses that street and maybe make that hidden entrance mor noticable

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Well after the big shakeup I suppose anything is possible!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123