Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Ideas for the New Monorail System

I know it's probably a little too late for these ideas to be implemented, but I am very much in favor of Disneyland closing Tomorrowland Station and opening, in its place, a new and unobtrusive station immediately South of the gates of Disneyland.

In its current configuration, the monorail service can only operate with two stops, so having both of them in the Outer Lobby makes a great deal of sense. Situating a station in the piazza between the two parks would permit easy transfers to both the Disneyland Railroad and the Main Street Vehicles. And, the placement would allow the monorail to serve the entrance of D.C.A., as well. Should the new park receive some sort of transportation along the Performance Cooridor, these vehicles, too, would offer easy transfers for service to the Paradise Pier Hotel and the courtyard by "Golden Dreams".

Furthermore, hotel guests entering Disneyland by way of the monorail would be able to do so through Main Street, U.S.A., which is an essential part of the guest experience. Additionally, day guests who walk the length of Downtown Disney, which is a dead-end, would have the opportunity to return to the parking area trams via the monorail.

Guests who are just visiting Downtown Disney might even have the option to purchase tickets just for the monorail and gain a preview of the two parks, as well as an overview of the entire resort destination.

If such an idea were to be implemented, the trains would need to travel in the direction opposite the way in which they currently do in order for the tour to continue making sense. In fact, this direction would create a more logical presentation since the expansion of 2001 changed so much of the landscape surrounding the guideway.

If I had my way, completely, the new monorail trains would feature liquid-crystal windows that can turn opaque when the trains travel through backstage areas, along Harbor Boulevard, and upon entering and leaving The Magic Kingdom.

• Minion

Re: New Ideas for the New Monorail System

but the best part of the scenic ride on the Monorial is the part within Tomorrowland. I would never ride it if it bypassed Tl - there is nothing to look at - - and who needs to go from Rainforest cafe to the gate? Totally impractical. It's not even of great service to the hotel guests.

Now if money were not an object, I would go with two monorail lines. One to connect the parking garage, the hotels and the main gate - as real transportation... the other between Tomorrowland and DCA, totally internal to the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    but the best part of the scenic ride on the Monorial is the part within Tomorrowland. I would never ride it if it bypassed Tl - there is nothing to look at - - and who needs to go from Rainforest cafe to the gate? Totally impractical. It's not even of great service to the hotel guests.
    I am not suggesting altering the guideway in any way; the trains would still travel through both parks.

And, the service is just as practical as it ever was for Disneyland Hotel guests, most of whom I am sure would prefer not having to walk back and forth from the entrance of D.C.A. to the other side of Disneyland Drive.

Whether or not one considers the monorail, as Walt Disney created it, to be a practical form of transportation, the fact remains that many hotel guests consider the service to be an exclusive amenity that warrants paying a premium to stay on-site.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-01-2006 at 11:07 AM.

• Hooterville, USA

The esplanade is too crowded now to make a station there. I think they should expand the monorail tracks to make it a longer ride and that alone would disperse the crowds further. Apply that same logic to the Peoplemover, and it would be a winning combination.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

i'm looking forward to the corkscrew and the new loop.

• :)

Quote Originally Posted by MinionLumbo
    i'm looking forward to the corkscrew and the new loop.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I know it's probably a little too late for these ideas to be implemented, but I am very much in favor of Disneyland closing Tomorrowland Station and opening, in its place, a new and unobtrusive station immediately South of the gates of Disneyland.

In its current configuration, the monorail service can only operate with two stops, so having both of them in the Outer Lobby makes a great deal of sense. Situating a station in the piazza between the two parks would permit easy transfers to both the Disneyland Railroad and the Main Street Vehicles. And, the placement would allow the monorail to serve the entrance of D.C.A., as well. Should the new park receive some sort of transportation along the Performance Cooridor, these vehicles, too, would offer easy transfers for service to the Paradise Pier Hotel and the courtyard by "Golden Dreams".

Furthermore, hotel guests entering Disneyland by way of the monorail would be able to do so through Main Street, U.S.A., which is an essential part of the guest experience. Additionally, day guests who walk the length of Downtown Disney, which is a dead-end, would have the opportunity to return to the parking area trams via the monorail.

Guests who are just visiting Downtown Disney might even have the option to purchase tickets just for the monorail and gain a preview of the two parks, as well as an overview of the entire resort destination.

If such an idea were to be implemented, the trains would need to travel in the direction opposite the way in which they currently do in order for the tour to continue making sense. In fact, this direction would create a more logical presentation since the expansion of 2001 changed so much of the landscape surrounding the guideway.

If I had my way, completely, the new monorail trains would feature liquid-crystal windows that can turn opaque when the trains travel through backstage areas, along Harbor Boulevard, and upon entering and leaving The Magic Kingdom.
    NO NO NO! That all wrong! That would defete the original purpose of why its even there too. It was put there so that the DL Holtel guests go easily go to the park without having to wait in the giant lines that used to form outside of Disneyland daily. I was a perk that was given for staying at the DL Hotel. It also served as the extra early hour into the park before the regular guests.
    What they need to do is extend the track further back toward the hotel. (Maybe somewhere in the center.) And also have a station built into DCA.

• Banned User

I think they should switch to park hopper only passes put a station in dca(on the original line) and add a second monorail line that goes between the hotels, downtown disney, and the parking garage. I would also put a peoplemover system where the trams currently are.

•   
    • Minion

When you think about the conveniance of the monorail as a park enterance from the hotels, it actually made sense before Downtown Disney was exicuted and the over pass of the street was needed... As a hotel guest it was completely inconveniant to cross the street which now is completely bypassed by the walk way...

The practicle purpose of the monorail now, which once was a great service for the safety and conveniance of hotel guests is now made irrelivant by the walkway. So why not use the monorail and reroute the track to tour the entire resort? Including DCA and hotels building a new station inside the Disneyland hotel grounds? And don't give me a cost excuse... Touring DCA promotes the park to resort guests...
    Check out my other blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    NO NO NO! That all wrong! That would defete the original purpose of why its even there too. It was put there so that the DL Holtel guests go easily go to the park without having to wait in the giant lines that used to form outside of Disneyland daily. I was a perk that was given for staying at the DL Hotel. It also served as the extra early hour into the park before the regular guests.
    What they need to do is extend the track further back toward the hotel. (Maybe somewhere in the center.) And also have a station built into DCA.
    Ok, everyone...

If people (hotel guests, park hoppers, and everyone else) have such a problem with the main entrances of the two parks, said guests should express this situation to Disney management because, under most circumstances, Disney can open more gates if the wait is too long. An exclusive entrance for hotel guests is also a possibility.

Fact #1: No additional monorail tracks are going to be built.

Fact #2: Only two stations are possible with the current configuration.

So, where do you want the two stations to exist?

The D.D. station is not going anywhere, of course. And, current plans call for the existing Tomorrowland Station to be dismantled. So, does it make any sense to rebuild the station where it was before 2001? Or, is there a better location?
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-01-2006 at 01:54 PM.

• Looking for Love

The D.D. station is not going anywhere, of course. And, current plans call for the existing Tomorrowland Station to be dismantled. So, does it make any sense to rebuild the station where it was before 2001? Or, is there a better location?
    Where did you read that there are plans to dismantle the tmw land station? Why would they do that? That would make the monorails useless.

•   
    • Minion

Fact #1: No additional monorail tracks are going to be built.
    Dumb

Fact #2: Only two stations are possible with the current configuration.
    Then take out one and have the only station be in DL...
    Check out my other blog:

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound

Then take out one and have the only station be in DL...
    What would be the purpose in that?

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

The Tomorrowland Station is going to be rebuilt.

And there is no reason (other than budget) that additional monorail tracks could not be built. In fact, one of the biggest benefits to monorail systems in general is their relative ease of construction and flexibility.

I wonder how effecient (in terms of numbers of passengers) a peoplemover would be, verses the trams, in moving guests from the parking structure to Downtown Disney. It would have to have a tremendous number of cars, and would incure a lot of wear and tear with few passengers during long stretches of the day and night, making it both less effecient and cost effective.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Why on earth would you place a new station at the Esplanade? All you're doing then is wasting time by driving around Tomorrowland. As stated earlier the monorail made it easy for hotel guests to cross the street. Disneyland really isn't that big. It would probably take longer to board the monorail, drive everywhere only to end up a couple of blocks away. It makes for a complete waste of time and resources.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast