• Animatronic

2005 in Review, DLR changes

The Good
    Maintence and safety. Glad they refurbed the Junge Cruise before the falls fell on someone!

TLC. I loved the additions to the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Tiki Room, and Jungle Cruise! DL even got a new train!

Monster's Inc. While this ride feels a bit cheap and cartoony, I think it fits the kiddie studios theme already established by the Muppets and is, without a doubt, an improvement over Super Star Limo.

The DL Fireworks are completely awesome and I forgive them for making crowding worse.

Tomorrowland. I enjoyed seeing Azimo, and the "new" color for the land helps it feel less like the bottom of a trash can. It was also great to see bands return to the Tomorrowland Terrace stage, even if it's still called Club Buzz.

Space Mountain returned! This is great, but the entrance feels confused, unlike it's speed ramp days. Still, it's back!

The Bad
    Buzz is a very cheap, low imagination ride that is off theme in Tomorrowland. While any increase in capacity is good for Disneyland and this space was unused, this ride is a net negative for the park. Ride it a few times and the flat track and boring rooms will make you long for a fantasyland ride.

The Confused
    While it's great to see the subs returning, why Nemo? I guess since the ride's capacity is low, they want to make sure the lines don't get too long with repeat business. It's interesting to note the best and longest lasting rides are not clearly themed to a single movie.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Re: 2005 in Review, DLR changes

I'm sorry Lore, but Buzz is quite the popular attraction for most people. It's always got a good wait time, and it will have a lasting factor because of the gaming generations that are current and should continue for a good while. It's also technically set in space. It's cartoony, yes, but the ride is popular.

Nemo is a popular movie, and considering where the lagoon is located, placing Nemo in the ride is something that I don't consider to be a problem. It's right next to the Matterhorn, a ride that has already been confised as to what land it was supposed to be in. Some people will ask why it was ever in Tomorrowland in the first place...but at the time Walt looked at it as exploring a place that really hadn't been by much. The subs are basically on the border, helping the transition of future to fantasy. Disney should rename the area once the subs are complete and the MBC area is utilized in some way, but right now it's not going to happen. Still, these rides will provide proper transitions. The subs will still have a futuristic aspect in that we've explored more of space than we have of our own oceans...there's still a lot left to be discovered. Nemo will provide the fantasy and the draw. I've heard the argument on these boards over and over again that the movie will be forgotten in so many years, but I really do not agree with this. The movie was a hit. Pixar is a hit. Look at the dark rides in Fantasyland...very old movies, yet still loved today. It's not going to become old in ten years, sorry people.

I do agree with you on everything else, though

• Happy 2007!

I generally agree with most of your points, although I understand why they went for a Nemo theme. Not sure it's what I want, but I'll reserve judgment until I see the ride.

I, too, have to disagree about Buzz. When we went in July and rode it for the first time, it was our new favorite ride. We rode it at least 6 or 7 times and weren't the least bit tired of it.

I personally feel Tomorrowland is lacking a unified theme at this point any way. I think Buzz fits in as well as most other attractions there.

I definitely agree with your last two points, Lore.

If the people at Disney were smart, they would have moved Timekeeper into the Circle-Vision 360 theatre and advertised the attraction.

Buzz Lightyear is really only there to sell merchandise. The character is very important to Disney Consumer Products because he is among the few that appeal to boys.

The attraction is yet another dark ride with stage flats and ultraviolet light.

Buzz, as a character, isn't very interesting without Woody.

The characters are toys, so Buzz does not fit in Tomorrowland. I find the story-within-a-story idea contrived.

Ultimately, "Toy Story", itself, is not a timeless classic befitting The Magic Kingdom. The story is too prosaic, and its setting is much too contemporary.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 01-01-2006 at 01:07 PM.

• Animatronic

Hopefully with the sucess of the upscale Haunted Mansion and Pirates merchandise, Disney will see that they can invest in original attractions and still make marketing dollars. I do think that with the recent rides Disney has it backwards making rides around products instead of products around rides.

I'm going to have to go with the pro buzz side

the ride doesn't come of cheap if you actualy play the game like it's supposed to be played and fire at the darn targets (I'm sure it would get old flat and boring if you just sat and tried to watch the scenery)

I do think they muddled the story within a story a bit by placing all the toyish quirks into the ride but I think those were required simply to make the ride come off as less violent which is what a shooting gallery type ride might come of as to soem parants

Tomorrowland really required a shooter type ride for it's scifi setup and it's big with family's

no real problem there

the only problem I have with Nemo is that they arn't segmenting it off with the Matterhorn and Autopia into it's own land

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

yea Bizz is pretty crowded a lot.

Off-topic sorta: i saw one of my elementry school prinsable(sp) waitng in line for Buzz once

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    the ride doesn't come of cheap if you actualy play the game like it's supposed to be played and fire at the darn targets (I'm sure it would get old flat and boring if you just sat and tried to watch the scenery)
    I think that's where the attraction might be problematic. Once the novelty wears off, is this attraction going to be able to maintain its attendance? The appeal of Buzz Lightyear relies on a gimmick.

Timekeeper would have been such an inexpensive thing to have at Disneyland for, at least, a few years, since the attraction was closing in both Florida and Paris.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Although I actually enjoyed The Timekeeper, I just can't justify in my head that ever getting more (or even more consistant) attendance than Buzz, even after the novelty wears off. I say this because you can always try to beat your previous score, and if that wears off, you can take a couple of ride throughs to look for the (few, from what I can tell, but still there) details in the actual ride.

• CM for 4 years!

Buzz is awesome! It's the only FastPass attraction that the whole family can enjoy! I mean, really, Autopia is charming, but not very exciting for tthose younger than three or older than 16. But Buzz... I love going on it with my three year old sister, she walks off and says, "YESSSSSSS"
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.