Please Help. Planning next trip for Thanksgiving 2006.

Hey guys, I need advice from everyone with first hand experience. We are planning our next trip to DLR for around NEXT Thanksgiving. Problem is we have never been there at that time of year so we have no idea what to expect.

As far as crowds go, is it better to go right before or right after the holiday? When do the Christmas decorations go up?

We are also trying to decide whether to stay on or off property. We've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and a few places around the resort. What are the best places to stay both on and off property?

In general, what are some of the things we should look for or avoid. We thought about going right at Christmas time but I see the reports of the capacity crowds and our daughter won't be old enough to be in the middle of all of that.

Thanks ahead of time.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Please Help. Planning next trip for Thanksgiving 2006.

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to visit the Parks.

We've been spending Thanksgiving at the DL Hotel for the past four years now. We're certainly not experts, but we've been around.

Over the years, the quietest time of the Park is the week after Thanksgiving. That has held true for us for the past fifteen years or so, and even this year with the 50th going on, it held true.

We are there from the Tues before T-Day, until the Wed after T-Day. The crowds drop off dramatically on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after the Holiday weekend. All of the Christmas decorations are up, the Holiday Parade is showing along with the snow after the fireworks and Santa is taking orders (and photo's) with the kids.

We stay on-property at the DL Hotel each year because we enjoy the overall experience that the DL Resort has to offer. We use the Monorail for transportation to and from the Park. All of our purchases are sent to the Hotel, so we don't have to carry them around with us. There is plenty of activity to keep us busy even when we are not inside the Parks.

Prior to our trip, we make priority seating arrangements at the Blue Bayou, Storytellers, Goofy's Kitchen (twice), Minnies Mistletoe Breakfast and of course, the T-Day Feast at the Grand Ballroom of the DL Hotel.

We have AP's so our rates are discounted. Last year we paid $89/night and $119/night for thurs, friday and sat. And that was for a room in the Sierra Tower, overlooking both Parks and DTD. When we weren't at the Park, we watched the fireworks from our balcony.

Off-site hotels that we can recommend are HoJo's, Marriott's, Hilton, Embassy Suites and the Marriott's Residence Inn further down Harbor Blvd. There is only one place that we warn others about. Do NOT stay at the Castle Inn. Too many issues to list, but we aren't the only ones that feel this way. We are surprised that they are still in business (maybe new owners???) who cares...Stay away. You've been warned!

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

• Circle of Ancients

We went the Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday before Thanksgiving this year and it was PACKED ... all 3 days.

We are planning on a multi day stay and want to include a weekend in that. Obviously we want to avoid Thanksgiving weekend itself because of the chaos in the airports and the crowds at DLR. So, it sounds like the best time is the week after Thanksgiving and the week before including the holiday itself is pretty crowded. Does anyone have a differing opinion?
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

For 5 years running, my family has spent the Mon-Fri AFTER Thanksgiving at DLR and the GC hotel. That's a great time to go, as the parks and hotels are fully decorated, and the crowds are very easy to deal with.

Looks like we will be doing a week at WDW this year (October, rather than after Thanksgiving), so you can have our spot!

Brian

• The one, the only...

That is a wonderful time of year. You have already heard that the crowds are heavy Thanksgiving weekend. Otherwise, it is great. I would go after the holiday. Then you get most Christmas decorations and very light crowds. Weather is generally great at that time of year.

I would stay in a Grand California if you could afford it. Being so close, it makes the trip very magical. Otherwise, then off site would be my choice. I hear that Howard Johnson's would be the best offsite.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by BGLeduc
    For 5 years running, my family has spent the Mon-Fri AFTER Thanksgiving at DLR and the GC hotel. That's a great time to go, as the parks and hotels are fully decorated, and the crowds are very easy to deal with.
    Brian
    We spent that M-F at GCH this year as well. We always spend a week (5 weekdays) at DLR sometime after the decorations are up. Usually it's the first full week of Dec. We try to say at a resort hotel for the holiday trip but for other trips throughout the year we stay at the HOJO. You can get great HOJO rates thru Mousesavers.com.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!