Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: Does Disney need a new wait time board?

I personally love the DCA board and wish Disneyland would follow suit shortly. I love the comprehensive list. Just because I might not care for a certain attraction doesn't mean there aren't others who do, so I think it's great that they have everything listed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    The DCA board is def an advert. Sure it has info, but it lets the GP know when they arrive that they made a great choice, that there are many things to do in DCA (even if they heard that there was very little in years past). It is a way for Disney to gloat too, IMO.

Ads continue in the park. They do not always have to sell you a product, sometimes the ads sell you an idea.
    The board in DCA looks like it could receive electronic input, as it looks like there are "wheels" with the numbers on them. Or maybe the CM just has to toggle those wheels, but they could have easily built a board with the average wait times, after all, if the computer says the wait time is 23.5 minutes, they can round up to 25.

DCA definitely still has issues with rides in less frequented areas of the park, and they want to take advantage of the huge crowds that descend on DCA and remind them that there is other stuff.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    Yeah, they should stop giving out maps, too. I wish they'd stop gloating about how many attractions they have and delivering relevant information to guests!
    ^That!

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I personally love the DCA board and wish Disneyland would follow suit shortly. I love the comprehensive list. Just because I might not care for a certain attraction doesn't mean there aren't others who do, so I think it's great that they have everything listed.
    agreed

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 05:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by monster heck View Post
    Too lazy? Please explain this!
    I'm saying that shortchanging people because an app exist, would be lazy their part. Not everyone follows such trends.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    It'd be cool if they had more than one wait board. Even though there are apps out there, it would be nice to have a board in Tomorrowland that you could reference before traversing across the park to see how the line for Splash Mountain is.
    I wouldn't like wait signs everywhere, especially if there were more inclusive of all the rides. It makes sense to put one on Main Street because that is the gateway to Disneyland, and you decide which land to enter at the hub.

The info is great to have, and the apps are really great in that respect as you can check it everywhere. Even if they put one in Tomorrowland, you'd have to hike over to see it if you're on the wrong side, so even with a sign in every land, the app is better, you can use the app while in line for one ride to plot our your next move.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-02-2012 at 04:10 PM.

For some reason the Disneyland one is always difficult for me to see/get to. I know I'm probably the only one that feels this but the Disneyland one always seems like you need to go out of your way to see it, like you have to look for it while you're crossing the hub. I actually didn't even know it was there until recently. With the DCA one you can kind of see it while you're on your way to your destination. I know this sounds weird but it's just my mentality on it. Simply, DCA's is in a better location,

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I for one would love to see all of the DLR rides up on the board. Haunted Mansion, Toad, et al...not all of us have the apps. The ones I've found are only for iphones and droids, and not all of us have those.

Knowing if a ride has a long or short wait, or is currently offline, can be a great way to avoid a hike to one end of the park or to figure out a game plan, and that includes the b and c tickets, too.
    If I was a monthly/weekly visitor, I would invest in an iPhone, they really are helpful, and I heard the retina screen is really good. When you're in line you can watch a YouTube video of the MSEP, read the news, check the weather. There are two wait times apps, and last time I checked they also told if the ride is down for refurb, plus I think Disney got wise and are offering their own wait times apps. The iPhone app takes a couple of seconds to load and get the wait-times, probably more convenient than walking thirty feet and crowding around a wait sign with small numbers. You can even post stuff to Micechat I bet.

Because smart phones have allowed easy access to wait times (only one person your party needs an iPhone or whatever other phones works), I doubt Disney will suddenly decide to put up huge signs in different lands.

---------- Post added 07-03-2012 at 12:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Quarar44 View Post
    For some reason the Disneyland one is always difficult for me to see/get to. I know I'm probably the only one that feels this but the Disneyland one always seems like you need to go out of your way to see it,
    If you don't walk by the Jolly Holiday side of the hub you'd miss it. I figured they had to put it in for guests whose main goal is to ride all the E-Tickets, who needed to immediately know if Splash was a 45 minute wait, and whether or not a big E-Ticket was open.

• Minion

I want a wait time board that looks like the one from Tokyo Disneyland.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Quarar44 View Post
    For some reason the Disneyland one is always difficult for me to see/get to. I know I'm probably the only one that feels this but the Disneyland one always seems like you need to go out of your way to see it, like you have to look for it while you're crossing the hub. I actually didn't even know it was there until recently. With the DCA one you can kind of see it while you're on your way to your destination. I know this sounds weird but it's just my mentality on it. Simply, DCA's is in a better location,
    I think I get what you're saying. For starters, the DL one has been there for yeaaaarrrsss. Part of why I think it looks so worn out. I don't remember exactly, but I'd guess at least a decade. I think part of it is that it's just plain old white. It blends in more. The whole look of everything on BVS street pops more to me that MS. It's really just taste though.

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I want a wait time board that looks like the one from Tokyo Disneyland.
    Pic?

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

Nevermind I found it.

http://micechat.com/forums/attachmen...p;d=1315863370

Again, my issue is it's too plain. But the land by land layout is interesting. Id have to see it in person, but the letters are a bit small.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    If I was a monthly/weekly visitor, I would invest in an iPhone, they really are helpful, and I heard the retina screen is really good. When you're in line you can watch a YouTube video of the MSEP, read the news, check the weather. There are two wait times apps, and last time I checked they also told if the ride is down for refurb, plus I think Disney got wise and are offering their own wait times apps. The iPhone app takes a couple of seconds to load and get the wait-times, probably more convenient than walking thirty feet and crowding around a wait sign with small numbers. You can even post stuff to Micechat I bet.
    True, but again, not everyone wants, needs or can afford an iPhone. Nor do all of us want to support Apple. I have the bare bones smart phone that came with my cell plan. It's my choice but I don't think I should have to upgrade to an iPhone just to find out how long the wait on Space Mountain is.

I think it would be a shame if Disney expected everyone to have a device that cost several hundred dollars just to get basic information inside the park, such as wait times. And plus, honestly, when I'm at the park I don't want to be surfing the web or watching YouTube videos. The park is a place to DISCONNECT from all of that and simply enjoy the environment.

I don't think they need to put signs in every land, but making the one in the hub more comprehensive would be a help.
    Last edited by Malina; 07-02-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    True, but again, not everyone wants, needs or can afford an iPhone. Nor do all of us want to support Apple. I have the bare bones smart phone that came with my cell plan. It's my choice but I don't think I should have to upgrade to an iPhone just to find out how long the wait on Space Mountain is.

I think it would be a shame if Disney expected everyone to have a device that cost several hundred dollars just to get basic information inside the park, such as wait times. And plus, honestly, when I'm at the park I don't want to be surfing the web.

I don't think they need to put signs in every land, but making the one in the hub more comprehensive would be a help.
    Agreed! I don't need, nor want a smartphone at this point and I've felt that way for years and who knows, one day I might want one but for now, no desire whatsoever. And I'm 24, pretty much smackdab in the middle of the age range of people who typically have these devices with little exception. And even if I had one, there's no way I'd bring it into the park. My cell phone is staying in Canada while I'm on my trip in three weeks, and I probably won't see the internet once the whole time I'm there. That's fine with me. That's not why I go to the parks!

Anyways I digress.... my point is I agree that Disney should not depend on guests having smartphones in order to easily access wait times.
    ..:: DLR Trips: 1994, 1999, 2012 ::..

• Photographer-In-Training

Maybe have the wait times and an app? So if you don't have a smartphone you can just see the board instead

• Minion

I read the whole thread and I think I missed the part where we were talking about putting a wait time board in each land...As far as I know, DCA's is only on Buena Vista Street, so DL wouldn't be copying DCA by adding more...

Anyway, I think DCA's has too many attractions and DL has too little. Having all the Fastpass attractions is good, but I think any ride that continually gets a queue of longer than 25 minutes needs to have a slot on the board. This can change throughout the week or even throughout the day. If an attraction closes, that also needs to be up there, regardless of popularity, and should remain on the board all day.

It should also include all upcoming attraction closures. If someone is new to DLR, they should know that Fantasyland closes for fireworks and many attractions at DCA close for World of Color.

On DCA's board, they need to change 12:00 am to Midnight, following suit with Disneyland's. It'll eliminate confusion, if there is any. They should also move that podium...

Regarding style, I like the general fonts and design. DCA's could use far fewer slots for attractions (as made evident by the blank ones and inclusion of the Bakery Tour), perhaps a different color scheme, and uniformity of the stylized font. I can understand why some phrases are stylized, but when it's in front of the line, it looks out of place. I'm not sure how they've organized things, but all FP attractions should go in one location.

Wait boards should also have entertainment schedules. At the very least have the next showing. What's the point in walking all the way to the board if I need to check an entertainment guide that'll tell me the same info?

To answer the thread question: yes. Disneyland needs a new wait time board. But so does DCA.

SEEMS like there are quite a few people who have never worked at a theme park here. you wouldnt guess how many times a cast member will be asked how long is *enter random ride/show* its just to help guests with planning their day.

• I'm a Lutheran

I'd really be interested to see what the wait time board would like if made digital. I could picture the same billboard thing with an HD screen boasting a backdrop of a blue night sky with clouds and stars. They could also switch out attractions like the giant jumbo-tron in Star Tours does when showing the galactic weather reports.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
    SEEMS like there are quite a few people who have never worked at a theme park here. you wouldnt guess how many times a cast member will be asked how long is *enter random ride/show* its just to help guests with planning their day.
    LOL, was thinking the same thing! People dont JUST ask for the big rides, they ask for any attraction they want to ride. If you want to go on Mr. Toad, you are still going to be curious how long it is, right?

And dont get the advertisement thing? Its a theme park, of course its advertising to you, they are trying to get you to ride the stuff and eat at the restaurants. And you can argue guide maps are the advertisments as Brenden mentioned. I think in this case, they are just trying to tell their customers the best overall information on wait times...thats a good thing!

Anyway, LOVE the DCA board and I also wish DL had a more expansive one. Maybe in time it will come, but DCAs lays it out great! I think its nice to get an overview of how busy the park is as well.

Oh and for people, like me, who mentioned they dont have a smart phone and want official wait times in the park, believe it or not, they actually have a system in place for the rest of us and an info line you can call to get wait time info called Otto! Its an automated system but works GREAT! Otto is connected to the wait boards just like the official app and is correct 95% of the time. Sometimes hes 5-10 mins off with wait times and FP returns, but really, really good!

Here is the number: 714-520-7090. Again, its the official service. Standard rates apply but if you have a cell phone with a package deal like phones these days, you are just waisting minutes of course. Give Otto a try. Just call, ask for any ride wait time or even when is the next show for something and will get fast, up to date info!
    Last edited by WorldDisney; 07-02-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast