Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Banned User

Re: Does Disney need a new wait time board?

Still awaiting an idea as to how to make a digital sign fit the period theme of BVS and MS.

---------- Post added 07-02-2012 at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TSTLSOOM View Post
    SEEMS like there are quite a few people who have never worked at a theme park here. you wouldnt guess how many times a cast member will be asked how long is *enter random ride/show* its just to help guests with planning their day.
    my thoughts exactly. Smaller rides are great too.

I don't see the inclusion of attractions that typically have a short wait, like Heimlich's Chew Chew Train or the Blue Sky Cellar, as a marketing ploy.

The purpose of the boards are not only to inform people about which attractions have long lines, but also to inform them about which attractions they might have forgotten or never knew about in the first place that have a short line, or no line at all. For AP's it's second-nature that nothing in A Bug's Land ever has much of a line, but a first-timer with small children might need to see the short waits advertised to think of giving it a try. Similarly, if it's hot it might be disheartening to see a 60-minute wait for Luigi's Flying Tires, but if you want to get your fill of Cars without the line, you can go into the Blue Sky Cellar and watch Car-toons. I see the inclusion of almost every attraction as a way of reminding guests who don't know much about the park that there's more to do than the few e-tickets they've seen in advertisements.

As a frequent visitor, I know that most of the time I don't want to go experience the bread factory tour, but every once in a while, when I want a little snack and I don't want to wait, it's nice to have a little reminder that it's there

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetHackwrench View Post
    I don't see the inclusion of attractions that typically have a short wait, like Heimlich's Chew Chew Train or the Blue Sky Cellar, as a marketing ploy.
    Exactly.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Still awaiting an idea as to how to make a digital sign fit the period theme of BVS and MS.
    If that whole thing was a screen, they could have the old style attraction posters up with wait times. Period appropriate, maybe on a realistic brick wall background. Other, non-primary attractions could be listed on other posters or faux advertisements. Now Presenting: Paradise Pier. Golden Zephyr - 15 minutes. (with a little illustration of the zephyr). I think you get the idea.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GadgetHackwrench View Post

The purpose of the boards are not only to inform people about which attractions have long lines, but also to inform them about which attractions they might have forgotten or never knew about in the first place that have a short line, or no line at all. For AP's it's second-nature that nothing in A Bug's Land ever has much of a line, but a first-timer with small children might need to see the short waits advertised to think of giving it a try. Similarly, if it's hot it might be disheartening to see a 60-minute wait for Luigi's Flying Tires, but if you want to get your fill of Cars without the line, you can go into the Blue Sky Cellar and watch Car-toons. I see the inclusion of almost every attraction as a way of reminding guests who don't know much about the park that there's more to do than the few e-tickets they've seen in advertisements.

As a frequent visitor, I know that most of the time I don't want to go experience the bread factory tour, but every once in a while, when I want a little snack and I don't want to wait, it's nice to have a little reminder that it's there
    This!

People have to remember its NOT common knowledge to anyone who doesnt spend hours a day on boards like this or go to the park weekly that Hemlichs Chew Chew train only has 5 min waits at certain times or that TSMM is 40 mins regularly all day. There are plenty of people, tourist and locals alike, who doesnt do a lick of research or stay in tuned to the latest Disney info and just go not knowing what to expect. There are still plenty of people who go in like that including my own mother. She relies on me to tell her this stuff but if I wasnt around, she wouldnt know until she got to the park itself.

But comments like that does tell you how some people here just assumes EVERYONE just knows this stuff like its common knowledge. No, complete opposite in fact. Even riding the Toy Story buses last week and listening to people asking the driver questions like "can you find Mickey Mouse at both parks" and "where is Toy Story Mania" as I heard a couple ask (which obviosuly the driver themselves wouldnt necessarily know) is why info boards are important in the first place. Not everyone logs on to the Disney site or Mice Age before they go!

I like the concept of DCAs new wait time board but it does have some glaring consistency issues. That being said I do love that they include both park hours. But if they are going to provide information for both parks, they need to follow through all the way.

A few observations on the DCA board but logically in my mind the board intended to provided breakfast lunch and dinner options for both parks. If I was a new visitor to the park I would look at the board in the pictures posted earlier in this thread and go looking for Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta at Disneyland the way this is laid out. What the DCA board definitely has going for it is that all the attractions are grouped by land/areas of the park.

The Disneyland wait times board is begging for an update. What really is not working on the DL board are the attraction plates themselves. The fonts are really inconsistent and all over the place. It really is jarring to the the eyes. The next thing is that the attractions are all placed on the board in random order.

LED/LCD screens would be a really bad idea unless they implement them right. Nobody wants to be watching the fireworks with a giant LCD/LED screen glaring in the corner of your eyes. What could work if this was implemented was if the wait board adjusted with the time of day. White background and dark text during the day. Solid black background with light text at night.

I love the concept of apps for wait times but the implementation is currently flawed given the inconsistent cellular service in the parks. Resort-wide high capacity, high bandwith, wifi would resolve this issue. The app would also be much more successful with the implementation of push notifications that push wait times and other information based on GPS location to your device. The same push notifications could be used to remind people of shows/parades that are about to start. Another benefit of push notifications is that it would significantly help with the battery drain issues you experience in the parks.

While on the subject of wait times I think the esplanade area needs an information center that provides wait times and other information before you even go through the turnstiles. I know I would love to go into the park with the lowest wait times first. I know I would also love a multi-purpose touchscreen kiosk where I could make dining reservations, stroller, ECV rentals etc. Ideally these kiosks could also be used to print World Of Color fastpasses shifting that volume of people to a much more open area alleviating congestion in that area of the park.
    Last edited by remix1982; 07-02-2012 at 11:05 PM.

•   
    • Minion

^^^^ I do wish there were some central location where they had the restaurant hours. There have been plenty of times my friends and I have set out for the Hungry Bear, or the Mint Julep Bar, or some of the other smaller dining locations, only to discover they'd already closed, hours before the park close.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123