Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Why isn't the Mann's Chinese theater in Hollywood Land?

it only makes sense right it opened in the 1920's so theming would be fit right, and would the great movie ride work there or somewhere else share your thoughts!

Re: Why isn't the Mann's Chinese theater in Hollywood Land?

As cheap as DCA 1.0 was made, I don't think they would have wanted to pay royalties at the time to a landmark that is still in existence. People could simply travel up north to Hollywood and simply visit the real one in person. I would rather see replicas of theaters that we have lost forever through demolition... it makes me wonder what they plan to do with Hyperion Theatre.

•   
    • Minion

I always wondered this too and the sign!!!!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

If it weren't a couple of freeways away in ACTUAL Hollywood this would be a grand idea. The Chinese Theatre, Hollywood sign and other landmarks such as the Walk of Fame are important financial tourism draws for current day Hollywood, they should remain there, let DCA continue to spin the latter-day idealized version.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Considering Disney (allegedly) had to put that stupid hat in front of the Chinese Theater at DHS because they couldn't get a licensing deal done to continue to use the theater as the park icon, I doubt they are willing to pay the cash to license the image for another park.

•   
    • Minion

Well..in a park with a lot of locals who have seen the real Chinese Theater, or could drive or take the bus there, I doubt anyone would be impressed. it would be like putting a model of the Empire State Building in an amusement park in New York City.

It seems as though all the landmarks they're showcasing in DCA are things that are either a) gone now, like the amusement piers or Carthay Circle; b) up north, like the Grizzly River Run area and the San Francisco street.

• Minion

I don't really like that idea. We've got the real theater about an hour or less away. No need for it in the park.

• AKA - DisneyChris

I just mentioned this in another thread about five minutes ago - I would like the Great Movie Ride to be added to DCA in the updated Hollywood Area once that is done. Doubt that would ever happen, but it would be a great thing to see in the park. I would not have it be like the WDW version. I would instead have no live narrative, and be a straight ride through, with music, in the vein of Small World. And I would have a lot more movie stars and more scenes. All the classic stars would be depicted as animatronic figures, like Mae West, the Marx Brothers, Marilyn Monoroe, James Dean, Elizabeth Taylor - ect ect. Never gonna happen, but it would be awesome if it did.

I would not put it inside the Chinese theater though. The real thing is a 30 minute drive away, and it would be bizarre. If for some strange reason they actually did build it, I would not call it Mann's but would call it Grauman's Chinese theater, which was its original name.
    Last edited by DisneyChrisDotCom; 07-03-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Ryan

You can have the great movie ride without having the theater.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

We got a better looking Theater...the Carthy

Plus the Hyperion Theater...I'd be up for a great movie ride..but does not need to be in the Chinese Theater

• AKA - DisneyChris

I like the great movie ride, but always felt the live narration to be dumb. I would prefer just a regular ride through like Pirates or Small World. Perhaps with a theme song throughout. Perhaps Hooray for Hollywood sung in many different styles to reflect different film genres, and have different rooms for different genres. A Western Room, a romance room, a crime drama room, a historical epic room, a horror room, a fantasy room, ect ect.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• Banned User

Why license the design if they merely want to do the look and feel? It's not the real Hollywood. Just do a imitation Chinese theater. Alternatively, why not do the El Capitan Theater or the Egyptian?

On the other hand, they were able to do the Carthay Circle Theater so whats the holdup?

• Not on the Jedi Council

Just as a note, Mann Theatres went bankrupt in December. Mann Theatres home page .. just read the page.

There's a new owner, and maybe negotiating with them would be easier. I have no idea.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Why license the design if they merely want to do the look and feel? It's not the real Hollywood. Just do a imitation Chinese theater. Alternatively, why not do the El Capitan Theater or the Egyptian?

On the other hand, they were able to do the Carthay Circle Theater so whats the holdup?
    Those theatres still exist and Disney would have to pay to build replicas of them. The Carthay Circle Theatre, however, does not exist anymore so I would think that there is no longer any copyright issues in regards to that.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Those theatres still exist and Disney would have to pay to build replicas of them. The Carthay Circle Theatre, however, does not exist anymore so I would think that there is no longer any copyright issues in regards to that.
    I said they can do an imitation, not replica, of the chinese theater. Doesn't Disney own the El Capitan? They don't need to do a replica of the Egyptian since no one really remembers how it looks like and the Egyptian facades were done numerous times.

I'm not even sure about not having copyright issues merely because the Carthay Circle Theater doesn't exist anymore. Designs and images can be copyrighted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast