Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I a Prude?

Am I a Prude?

Was anyone else at the DJ dance in the Hollywood backlot at DCA yesterday? I was pretty taken aback at the music this DJ was playing. We hung out with our 8, 6 and 2 year olds for a few minutes and were getting a kick out of watching the kids dance. I noticed right away that a lot of the lyrics were deleted out of the rap songs the DJ was playing, which on it's own seems like a poor choice of music. I mean, if you have to bleep out any of the lyrics, it's probably not appropriate to play at all at a Disney resort. But then, the DJ queued up 50 Cent's "Just a Little Bit." In case you aren't familiar, the lyrics are...

"All a ***** really need is a little bit.....
    Not a lot baby girl just a little bit.....
    We can head to the crib in a little bit......
    I can show you how I live in a little bit.....
    I wanna unbutton your pants just a little bit......
    Take em off and put em down just a little bit.....
    Get the kissing and touching a little bit.....
    Get the licking in .... a little bit
    "

And none of the lyrics about unbuttoning and sliding down pants and touching were deleted out. I dunno... Seems pretty inappropriate for kids anywhere, but ESPECIALLY at DL. Am I going overboard with this?

I emailed the customer service address on the DL webpage. I'll be curious to see what kind of a response I get.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Am I a Prude?

We also noticed a few rather questionable songs...I'm by no means a prude, but Anders and I did notice that the music was rather racy for a Disney park.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Well, it's censored, and the little ones aren't going to get what the song means until they get older, so it doesn't seem that big of a deal in my opinion. I watch so many movies nowadays that are apparently for kids and now I discover all of these sexual jokes that I didn't get or notice way back when.

While I like the song (alot more before it was released as a single and got played out), the explicit or the edited version of the song shouldn't be on Disney property (except for maybe a club at Pleasure Island in WDW). But in the parks......I hate whenever any popular music is played there. And that includes Grad Night or NYE or etc. I'm all about the parks being seperate from the real world and the music at Disney should always be in theme. It's one of the things that I hate about Universal's park in Orlando.

• Resident Fantasmic Guru

Well Disneyland always wants Top 40's in the Hollywood Backlot for NYE. Who's fault is it if a lot of the top 40's songs of 2005 were a bit racy? Also, around what time was it? IMHO, after 10pm any kids under around 8 should be in bed.

FF
    "A Journey Beyond Your Wildest Imagination..."

• Circle of Ancients

IMO, DCA is the "less traditional" NYE between the two parks and is going for a more 'edgy' event.

I did kind of chuckle when they were playing Hollaback Girl though.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

My daughter is 11, and she hears much worse from me than most of the songs they were playing. But, kepping in mind that DL and DCA are family parks, the music was questionable at best. There are a million other songs that put people in a party mood that don't glorify sex and drugs. Anyhoo, I'm not saying they shouldn't have played the songs, I'm just surprised they did.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by dxwwf3
    It's one of the things that I hate about Universal's park in Orlando.
    Does WDW play "worldly music" inside of WDW parks? I had heard about Pleasure Island, but what do you expect with a bunch of drunk adults in a giant club.

• that's right!

I don't see the problem. That's exactly what you could hear on any radio station in the country. Despite how I feel about America's ridiculously backwards ideas of what's acceptable (violence = okay, anything remotely relating to sex = somebody call the FCC) I don't see the problem, and it's not like you couldn't have taken your children elsewhere.

This is all, of course, disregarding the fact that they shouldn't have been playing 50 Cent at all because he's an awful, awful MC.

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    Does WDW play "worldly music" inside of WDW parks?
    The only thing I can think of is at Dinoland at the Animal Kingdom, there are songs with dinosaur/extinction themes in the area loops (ex "Everybody Walk The Dinosaur" or "The End of the World (As We Know It)" by REM). But it fits the theme and it is not just some random pop music. Other than that, I can't think of any place that would.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by squinky
    This is all, of course, disregarding the fact that they shouldn't have been playing 50 Cent at all because he's an awful, awful MC.
    Right Right!

• horsin' around!

I think it was completely inappropiate!
    & that's my 2 cents! :-)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

The two MCers I was with last night have already posted, but yes, I found it kind of odd that they played some of the music that they did, but it's also NYE at DCA. DCA is a bit more of an edgier park when it comes to entertainment in general I would say. Plus over in Paradise Bay they were playing more poppy music compared to the club music played in the backlot. Basically, I had no issue with the fact that they played Notorious B.I.G. or Hollaback Girl last night, but if they were part of the daily playlist then I'd begin to wonder.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Hooterville, USA

Family parks ALWAYS take kids into consideration. This was out of line and should not be tolerated. If this was for adults only that would be one thing, but not this time!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation
    ]
    I emailed the customer service address on the DL webpage. I'll be curious to see what kind of a response I get.
    Good Job! I think all the Micechatters who were at Disneyland Resort yesterday should also complain. Lets set off some bells and wistles in Disneyland management who made that horrible desicion to allow bad music in a disney park.
    Personally, I don't think any music but Disney music should be played in any disney park.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast