Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Western River Ride - Coming to Disneyland???????

That was walt though (and the awesome ppl her had working with him) but that is really over now. Movie tie ins generate more money and have an instant base for popularity.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    Hi all - sorry for not posting in FOREVER - I promise to be a more frequent mice chatter from here on out. Anyway. I heard a rumor that Tony Baxter has delayed his retirement in order to FINALLY bring the Western River Ride, to realization, and the Big Thunder Ranch area is the proposed site for the new attraction. Has anyone else heard this? Is this just a pipe dream? It seems like the Disney folks are mentioning the infamous never built attraction more and more lately. Perhaps this is to build up some hype??? Wouldn't it be wonderful if that really did happen. Frontierland desperately needs something new.
    Remember that part of WRE did get built . . . Big Thunder. Originally, WRE was meant to have a boat ride and the mine train attraction added on. Tony embellished upon the runaway mine train concept and turned it into its own ride.

The rest of the ride was the "meat" of the attraction, with several comedic scenes from the Old West, involving bandits, cowboys and indians. It would have been visually stunning, different from Pirates in that respect, but given the technology of 1970s, it would have reused the same boat system.

The general idea of western river expedition makes a lot of sense as Frontierland doesn't have any character driven attractions outside of Tom Sawyer's Island, but we don't really see Tom Sawyer, though there are some Woody meet and greets. Big thunder is just generic theming, not telling a firm storyline.

Given this, the idea of a river style ride that tells a story makes sense. Disney has taken out patents for a new boat system which will allow the boat to be "pointed" and perhaps as adding some special effects as well. Travel on rivers was a part of life in the old west, and it makes sense to utilize this as a ride system. People don't say that Splash is ripping off Pirates because they are both water rides, expect the ride system for a WRE ride to be radically different from Pirates, perhaps offering some thrills between Pirates and Splash.

The WRE river ride sort of had a Pirates setup in that there weren't easily identifiable characters, should the Lone Ranger be used for a storyline, this would provide a ride experience much different from Pirates, and I think it makes sense as the western genre is well known. Plus, even if the Lone Ranger is forgotten in ten years, guests will immediately "get" that the 'sheriff' is after the bad guys.

Gone would be the drunk indians, replaced by Depp's Tonto who is the smarter of the duo, and gone would be the Marc Davis gags found in rides like Pirates and HM to create a more grown-up ride with awe-inspiring scenes and a vivid story, as opposed to people laughing about Pirates chasing women or their food, trying to get a couple dozen hats in a boat and other such gags.

I've heard that the ride might have inside and outside portions, thus giving riders a glimpse of the river as well as some outside portions which help tell the story, in addition to an entire "plaza" which would help to tell the story of the ride and Lone Ranger. Expect much of the inside of the ride to be the Lone Ranger's quest to bring outlaws to justice, as well as western sunsets that depictions of the beauty of the old west, just naturalism isn't really focused upon in Pirates (outside of the bayou scene), thus giving a WRE inspired ride a leg up. WRE, also utilizing the new ride system being developed (perhaps borrowing elements to be used for Pirates in Shanghai), would be faster than Pirates, giving you the sense that you're on the chase with the Long Ranger through western mining towns, a bandit's hideout, a foreboding ravine, a flooded mine, a saloon shoot out and possible encounters with animals like coyotes and vultures.

Right now, Frontierland is just highly themed rides without much story, a totally newly designed Lone Ranger E-Ticket boat ride would add to a land without a ride that tells a clear story.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 07-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.

• Minion

>>What is the Western River Ride?<<

Marc Davis created extensive work for a "Pirates" level E-Ticket ride through the old west housed in a giant mesa setting, but Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was built instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse rocks View Post
    They could make it like a outdoor flume ride.
    Splash Mountain is a few hundred feet away. Why would they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by jchamb268 View Post
    Question for you all. What exactly was Western River Expansion?
    It is a 40 year old expansion idea that was NEVER intended for Disneyland and whose individual elements have been so poached over time that it would be pointless to build it now.

But to give you an idea, here is what it looked like:

Name:  WRE resized.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  183.0 KB

• Monorail Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    >>What is the Western River Ride?<<

Marc Davis created extensive work for a "Pirates" level E-Ticket ride through the old west housed in a giant mesa setting, but Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was built instead.

Thank you, thank you

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse rocks View Post
    They could make it like a outdoor flume ride.
    They would then run the risk of trading off too much of the ability to enjoy the scenery for the thrill of such an attraction. That seems to be the only concern voiced about the overall amazingly recieved Radiator Springs Racers. That and such a well themed right might suffer if patrons get too wet. Expecially when a rapids attraction already exists in DCA.

• Monorail Junkie

WOW, that ia fantastic. I never knew about this. I hope something comes from it.

• Banned User

I don't think it would be pointless as long as its done super well

• -

At this point, I really don't think they should build this ride. It has received such a cult following over the years as "the ride that never was" that I don't think it could live up to the hype. It wasn't even meant for Disneyland in the first place. In the second place, given the size of the proposed location we would probably only get a scaled down version of the concept.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Just because it's not the original attraction or size doesn't translate to it being good or bad. I think it would be awesome to finally see the water side of this attraction because BTM is a staple of the disney mountain range now and i’d love to see the other part that wasn’t built.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    At this point, I really don't think they should build this ride. It has received such a cult following over the years as "the ride that never was" that I don't think it could live up to the hype. It wasn't even meant for Disneyland in the first place. In the second place, given the size of the proposed location we would probably only get a scaled down version of the concept.
    Well...any ride they build now is going to be like that....I thought Racers would be my new favorite ride...and I was wrong its a good ride but I still prefer Pirates and Splash to it

Anyway I think they is more then enough room with both the Ranch area and old Hunchback stage area....enough for a small little mine town with a water ride in the middle of it.....heck it would most likely feel the most "frontier" of the whole land since for me the rest of the land while looking nice..just dont not feel like a real town

• AKA - DisneyChris

I think there is plenty of room behind thunder mountain to build this attraction, and if need be, they could expand outside the berm and have the railroad travel trough the ride like it does on splash mountain ect.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

We should consider the food areas when making this.

• Banned User

Yes totally. To me areas aren't really complete unless they have well themed resturants and shops.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast