Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Western River Ride - Coming to Disneyland???????

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    ... Disney has taken out patents for a new boat system which will allow the boat to be "pointed" and perhaps as adding some special effects as well. Travel on rivers was a part of life in the old west, and it makes sense to utilize this as a ride system...
    This sounds very exciting! I think Frontierland could really use another E-Ticket, to balance things out on the west side of the Park; Frontierland really needs something besides just Big Thunder (which I love, btw) to "compete" with Pirates/Mansion/Splash. Of course, Tomorrowland also needs major work, but that's a whole other deal.

I really hope that Tony Baxter can bring to life a major attraction like WRE. That would be a great way to cap his career.

• AKA - DisneyChris

I do agree that Thunder Mountain is a great ride in its own way, but Nature's Wonderland was more in keeping with the original vision Walt had for Frontierland. Once it was removed, Frontierland was not as special as it once was. it lost a lot of it's charm. WRE will bring a lot of that feeling back again. I think there is room for both rides though. The only gripe I have about BTM is that Nature's Wonderland was a casualty of bringing it in, so WRE will make up for that decades long loss, and then some. And if they HAVE to tie it into a movie, Lone Ranger is the perfect movie to tie it into, and I would not be bothered by that tie-in in the very least, especially if they use the William Tell Overture as the soundtrack to the ride. That would be very cool.

Now Presenting --- DISNEYLAND - A MAGICAL AUDIO TOUR
    An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    It's a massive hit and thats why a Disneyland park is sure to never be built without it.
    Hong Kong doesn't have one.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

This could be fantastic if they used the new boat technology and focused more on modern special effects than Pirates

• Banned User

You are correct sir, i totally forgot about HK

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, I reckon the teenage thrill seekers could keep their run-a-way thing...tain't no reason it would have to be removed to put in the Western River Expedition. But, ya know, if they were gonna take the time to build a huge Western landscape anyways I wonder if they couldn't also bring back a version of the Ol' Nature's Wonderland train to go with it...two for the price of one ya might say. The "Nature's Wonderland" train could be for the whole family to ride...just like it was back in the old days.

So...those teenage thrill seekers could still have their over the hill at 50 miles an hour thing...while the rest of the family from the very young to the very old could have the classic slow movin' Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland AND the new Western River Expedition.

Most of the youngun's 'round these days ain't never heard of Cascade Peak along the river...sure would be nice if they could bring that back too. We was talkin' on another thread about feelin' the mist while the train passed behind Big Thunder Falls...and the big, beautiful Mark Twain passed on the other side...funny how those little memories kinda stick with ya...

Anyways...Natures Wonderland never shoulda been torn out in the first place...most everybody knows that...or should...so taint no need to tear out that teenage thrill thing...two wrongs sure wont make everything right. Keep the cheap thrill ride, but bring back the classic...along with Marc Davis's Western River Expedition.

It would probably be too much to wish for a short stage coach and covered wagon ride too I suppose...those days are gone forever I reckon... But, I tell ya, I wish more folks today could get the feel of the West...an understanding of what it was truly like...you know...like it used to be in Frontierland...Disneyland, U.S.A..

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 07-03-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• AKA - DisneyChris

I vote to bring back the water falls along the river as well. That is very missed. Should have never removed them.

An amazing interactive audio experience found only at my website -www.DisneyChris.com

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I do agree that Thunder Mountain is a great ride in its own way, but Nature's Wonderland was more in keeping with the original vision Walt had for Frontierland. Once it was removed, Frontierland was not as special as it once was. it lost a lot of it's charm. WRE will bring a lot of that feeling back again. I think there is room for both rides though. The only gripe I have about BTM is that Nature's Wonderland was a casualty of bringing it in, so WRE will make up for that decades long loss, and then some. And if they HAVE to tie it into a movie, Lone Ranger is the perfect movie to tie it into, and I would not be bothered by that tie-in in the very least, especially if they use the William Tell Overture as the soundtrack to the ride. That would be very cool.
    Wouldn't it be nice if some "nods" to the old Nature's Wonderland could be made in a new attraction? Certain old elements, brought back to life, would be a win-win-situation: for those who don't remember NW, they'd be "new"; for those who do remember NW, they'd be a great piece of nostalgia. Perhaps a "Rainbow Caverns"-type setting could be reinvented?
    Last edited by Werner; 07-03-2012 at 02:22 PM.

• Banned User

Rainbow caverns already got a nod in BTM, along with many other elements of Natures wonderland.

I would think it would be awesome to see more movent along the ridge of RoA

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Emelius View Post
    I vote to bring back the water falls along the river as well. That is very missed. Should have never removed them.
    Indeed! Cascade Peak added so much. It should be brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    teenage thrill
    I think this is the mindset that creates such a divide between Disneyland "enthusiasts".

The park is for everyone, and everyone can find joy and excitement in each attraction. If you don't like something, don't ride it. It's fairly simple.

• Banned User

Look how packed the Twain is!

• AKA - DisneyChris

Name:  Track 81.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  29.3 KB

sigh

A ride like this would really help to make this area more immersive.

I argue that there are really only a 5, maybe 6 untouchable rides at Disneyland: 1) Pirates of the Caribbean, 2) Haunted Mansion, 3) Space Mountain, 4) Matterhorn, 5) Splash Mountain, and likely 6) Big Thunder Mountain. I can't imagine a scenario except in the way, way, way, distant, distant future where these would disappear. So what do these rides have in common?

For the most part, they aren't based on films. Yes, Splash Mountain is, but I argue most people have no idea.

This is why I think a ride like this--if done right--would be successful without a movie tie in. But here's the thing--Splash Mountain is the newest of those rides, and it was built in 1989.

So the bar has to be higher as far as quality. If the quality isn't any better than Pirates or Splash, I doubt it is a huge hit without a movie tie in.

• AKA - DisneyChris

If anyone can top Disney... it's Disney. :P

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast