• Minion

Red Face Monorails near Disney Parks

I guess that Walt's idea were monorails would be used for transit won't come true in Anaheim!
    But Orlando got lucky (kinda)
    Monorail News Briefs

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Monorails near Disney Parks

Interesting. I doubt much will happen.

I am more surprised that I have driven past a maglev test site on multiple occasions and did not even know it!

• Banned User

Well, that figures. Anaheim City Hall's been filled with idiots for many years. Guess they gotta carry on that tradition of brainlessness and cowardice.

• Insomniac

The monorail is expensive, would directly impact taxi services, and would only slightly help with traffic problems. I see why it sounded like a great idea back in the day, but in today's world the expense is too great for most cities.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    The monorail is expensive, would directly impact taxi services, and would only slightly help with traffic problems. I see why it sounded like a great idea back in the day, but in today's world the expense is too great for most cities.
    So let's put in light rail instead that takes away from available surface streets? And the to relieve the increased traffic, we add a lain in each direction. Well, that takes eminent domain and can potentially cost billions to acquire all the land necessary. Suddenly that cheap light rail is now costing the city many times more than the overpriced quote for monorail.

Really, I want to know where they got monorail costing 2-3 times as much as light rail.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    So let's put in light rail instead that takes away from available surface streets? And the to relieve the increased traffic, we add a lain in each direction. Well, that takes eminent domain and can potentially cost billions to acquire all the land necessary. Suddenly that cheap light rail is now costing the city many times more than the overpriced quote for monorail.
    Not to mention all the lost business along the light rail routes, as the streets are ripped up and the light rail is installed. $$$$$

And then, don't forget all the lawsuits the city will have to deal with as a result of accidents involving cars & trucks and the light rail on those surface streets. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Think it won't happen? It happened almost daily when Houston introduced light rail (still happens every so often), and it's about to start happening again, as Houston expands its light rail. Save pennies now, spend dollars later. "As long as the dollars are going into OUR wallets, who cares what it costs or who's inconvenienced?"

Like I said, idiots. Anyone who advocates light rail over monorail in this day and age either has a vested financial interest in light rail systems, or is woefully ignorant.

In the meantime, Orlando's been offered a private maglev rail system, for less than half Anaheim's projected cost, and Orlando doesn't have to pay anything for it!

I bet American Maglev Technology won't offer that same deal to Anaheim, and you know why they won't? Because Anaheim City Hall is full of IDIOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Not to mention all the lost business along the light rail routes, as the streets are ripped up and the light rail is installed. $$$$$

And then, don't forget all the lawsuits the city will have to deal with as a result of accidents involving cars & trucks and the light rail on those surface streets. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Think it won't happen? It happened almost daily when Houston introduced light rail (still happens every so often), and it's about to start happening again, as Houston expands its light rail. Save pennies now, spend dollars later. "As long as the dollars are going into OUR wallets, who cares what it costs or who's inconvenienced?"

Like I said, idiots. Anyone who advocates light rail over monorail in this day and age either has a vested financial interest in light rail systems, or is woefully ignorant.

In the meantime, Orlando's been offered a private maglev rail system, for less than half Anaheim's projected cost, and Orlando doesn't have to pay anything for it!

I bet American Maglev Technology won't offer that same deal to Anaheim, and you know why they won't? Because Anaheim City Hall is full of IDIOTS.
    Light rail seems to work fine in San Diego, although to be fair only a small portion of it shares the road with cars.

From the article and the costs being quoted, seems the lack of federal funding due to the high cost put the nail in the coffin.

What about an elevated light rail system, similar to whats in Vancouver, BC. Not really a monorail, but fully automated and either elevated above streets or below streets.

• Minion

From the Lagoon of Liquidspaceman...
    This thread is pretty timely, let me explain. A day before I read this thread I got this email for a monorail conference.
    It looks pretty cool. I wish I had the funds to pursue it. But, this thread and the email got me thinking, why don't we collectively
    but together a "monorail team" where we can have material available to send to city councils and other entities that might benefit from monorails and people movers. Just because the PM hasn't been working for many years now, doesn't mean there isn't a viable upgrade out there. It would be nice to have pictures, examples, facts, and media kits available. Please take a look at the link and see what you think. If your team sends them a paper on monorails, or people movers, let us know, here at Micechat! Check out the Interior Kaiserwagen (Emperors Coach) on the the download page. It's pretty cool looking. What do you think?
    ...Liquidspaceman, over and out!
    -Silent Sentinel of the Deep-

We've enjoyed having you aboard on this
    adventerous voyage through Liquidspace...
    our last frontier on the planet Earth.