Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Haunted Mansion DVD-Anything on the Ride?

The movie didn't exactly appeal to me all that much...but I'm curious as to whether there are any special features that talk about the ride(s). Since the internet isn't elaborating, I figured at least somebody on this board would know

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Haunted Mansion DVD-Anything on the Ride?

There are no features about the ride on the DVD itself, but there is a short, very short, documentary as a DVD rom bonus that can only be viewed on the computer. Is it worth buying just for this? The answer is no. The documentary doesn't give any new information on the mansion and doesn't even show much ride footage.

I was quite disappointed by this release. Disney could have done much better. They could've offered a soundtrack only option to view the movie (since they didn't even make a soundtrack for sale), but they didn't. The ride deserved a better movie, but since it didn't get one, it didn't get a good DVD release either.
    Last edited by Aura of Foreboding; 01-01-2006 at 07:33 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Ah, perfect. Thanks for your help!

• Minion

They should have included Disneyland Showtime - - the cool TV hour that promoted the opening of Haunted Mansion. it would have been the only reason to buy that awful movie.

• Haunted Mansion Holiday

ah. Why didnt they make it scary and not funny? Actually have some characters from the ride in a TALKING part not in the backround

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Ah, perfect. Thanks for your help!
    Glad to be of service. Maybe we'll get a Phantom Manor movie and have some good bonuses for the Haunted Mansion/Phantom Manor ride on that DVD... yeah right... only in my dreams.

that would be awesome. that ride has a MUCh better storyline than the Haunted Mansion.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's Return
    that would be awesome. that ride has a MUCh better storyline than the Haunted Mansion.
    The Mansion doesn't have a story, and that was the problem when they made the film version. The filmmakers could make their own story and we see how they flubbed that one up...

That is pretty true also. I mean why not do the backstory of the Mansion like how Gracey hung himself, how Leota got there, why the HHG are there and how they got there. I mean they put Eddie Murphy in it. That was their first mistake. They should've put like that one guy who played the waiter in the movie, Clue (cant remember his name). He would make an awesome like narrator or something with his voice

• Why do you keep talking?

Tim Curry!

I think they should have went in a more Phantom Manor way anyway, since it can kinda be set to DL's HM too (but like has been said, no real story can be taken from it)
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

On ebay I discovered a WDW special event Haunted Mansion Bride figurine, rather expensive. Anyway, the Bride came with it's own story, name, date of birth, death etc. The story would make for a good movie...not exactly a cheerful movie, though.

Maybe that's why they tried to play off the goofiness more. Think of how depressing the movie would have been if the movie went into detail about a bride being murdered and then her husband hanging himself. It's kinda hard to resolve a story like that...I'm sure it could be done, but it would need extreme care.

In my Happy Haunts Stories! thread, Roo posted a very interesting storyline they had been creating for a script...they didn't finish because of the movie.

• Long Distance Imagineer

I agree completely. Although I do show the movie at the video store I work at on Halloween, along with the Tower of Terror movie. Both are rather corny, but what can you do?

Much of the movie, IMHO, was not only bad script, bad plot, but it was also done on the cheap. You wouldn't have gotten that on a Jerry Bruckheimer production.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I thought the sets and special effects were pretty decent in the Haunted Mansion movie. But I despise Eddie Murphy. He's certainly washed up and just should give it a rest. And maybe a Haunted Mansion movie with a silly side COULD have worked if it wasn't for the terrible terrible casting. Absolutely awful casting. Gah.

I really liked the many homages to the ride though. But I think thats also added to the failure of the movie... People not too terribly familiar with the ride didnt make the connections and thought the singing busts, a lot of the graveyard scene, and maybe even Leota were a bit too over-the-top, whereas with the Pirates of the Caribbean film you didnt need to be familiar with the ride to enjoy the attraction connections because they worked for the story - and werent just thrown in haphazzardly without any explaination.

It's tragic that the Haunted Mansion - a potentially incredible movie franchise was put to rest in such poor taste.

As for the DVD extra - I have never seen the bonus DVD-Rom featurette on the Haunted Mansion. I know its there and I know theres on on the Pirates of the Caribbean DVD as well, but I use a Mac computer and well, DVD-Rom special features are really NEVER Mac-friendly.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

i know after Pirates GREAT movie franchise the Haunted Mansion is such a dump

And yes Tim Curry was who i was looking for. I mean he would be PERFECT for a good Haunted Mansion movie

do u guys think (or have any inside information) they'll be making anymore movies based on rides from the disney parks? i mean, they had a smash hit w/ POTC, and a bust w/ HM, so would they risk making more? now that they know what works and what doesnt? personally i would love to see a jungle cruise action/adventure movie that has splashes of comedy in it (much like how Pirates was made), and even rides such as the subs (pre-Nemo), space mtn, big thunder mtn, and matterhorn could make for interesting stories, mainly b/c so much of the stories for such attractions could be made up specifically for the movie. what do u all think?
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast